Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Hidden Treasure
 4Real Forums : Hidden Treasure
Subject Topic: Beginning January 31st... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote Helen

we'll read True Devotion to Mary.

Any suggestions on how to read True Devotion to Mary together?
What is a reasonable pace?

We would like to dedicate the month of May to the preparation for consecration and make a consecration together on the last Sunday in May.(Pentecost!) We may need to begin a little earlier to make the full preparation. (I'll have to figure out what 33 days before Pentecost is.)

I would invite you to join us even if you have made a consecration to Our Lady. Consider renewing your consecration on that day with all of us. We can be united in our dedication to Our Lady and share the feast of Pentecost each year as a special day with our 4Real friends.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 4:28am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

UPS says I'll have my book by then. I am very excited to do this!

I haven't ever read it to give a good suggestions on how to read through it together. Is it divided by chapters? Or by steps?

jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

Helen,

I have a question when you do a renewal do you do the whole 33 days again? We have been doing that for several years and I always wonder how it is suppose to be done. We don't want to "mess up" so we just do it yearly doing the whole 33 days, is this correct?

Thanks, Jackie

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Helen,
I'd love to renew my consecration with you all. I'd also love to read the True Devotion with you as well.

This sounds so wonderful. An oasis in the busy days!!

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

jackiemomof7 wrote:
Helen,
I have a question when you do a renewal do you do the whole 33 days again? We have been doing that for several years and I always wonder how it is suppose to be done. We don't want to "mess up" so we just do it yearly doing the whole 33 days, is this correct?

Thanks, Jackie

Jackie, I really don't know. I follow along with the Franciscans of the Immaculate with their formation process.

Can anyone from the Montfort family comment upon this question?

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Helen, will you be doing this periodically, or is this a one time thing? Can't start it on the 31st as I have some serious commitments that I need to finish up through February, but I'd love to make the consecration this year, just not in May yet.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

stefoodie wrote:
Helen, will you be doing this periodically, or is this a one time thing? Can't start it on the 31st as I have some serious commitments that I need to finish up through February, but I'd love to make the consecration this year, just not in May yet.

Yes, Stef
I hope we will do this periodically.

We'll still be here at the end of February and so feel free to join in then. I don't think you have to miss the consecration in May because January 31st doesn't work for you.

The 4Real board helps its members accomplish their goals - it doesn't add any further obligations or burdens. So, when you can, please join in!

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

With the proposed consecration day of May 27th, if count correctly, 33 days prior is April 25th.

We want to try to have True Devotion finished by then an begin the 33 day preparation.

So, that leaves about three months to review the book.

Personally, when I pick up the book, I read again and again the part of the book that deals with the nature of true devotion. (I just looked it up - chapter 2 and chapter 7)

But for discussion purposes, where do we want to linger?
Here's a link to the book.

What topic gives you the most questions? We can try to have a little reading schedule.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I'm open to anything. I have never read this, but I am feeling that I need to do this.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I forgot about the 33 days Helen, sorry; when I saw your post I thought you were starting the PREPARATION on January 31st. I would love more than anything to join you in April for Preparation, and I'll drop in from time to time for the book discussion.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

Count me in....I'm excited about this.

I've never read the book but could we allow about 10 days per chapter? That would mean Chapters 1 & 2 in February (10 days +); Chapters 3,4,5 in March and 5 & in April.

Although....maybe we're better off to do a little more earlier on so our load is lighter during Holy Week and Easter. Just some thoughts....I'll do it no matter what the pace.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

jackiemomof7 wrote:

Helen,

Thanks, Jackie

Yes it is a 33 day renewal, like the first consecration and it is a favourable thing to renew it yearly and on the same day.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Helen,
I ordered the book today, but unfortunately, I will not receive it by tomorrow! I would like to read the book. Perhaps I can join you at a later time.

Also, I did the consecration several years ago, but have yet to renew it. My date was the Assumption. Would it be appropriate for me to renew my consecration with you ladies, or must I wait until my original consecration period?

I suspose I should enter my story under the Welcome thread, but I have been somewhat lapse in my devotion for the past few years. Actually, I think that it was just stagnant from the very beginning. I recently began receiving Mary Vitamin (which I love), and feel the need to return home to my Mother.

This thread has been a blessing. Thanks so much for all that you ladies are doing. I love all the stories that you ladies have shared.

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Carole N. wrote:
Helen,
I ordered the book today, but unfortunately, I will not receive it by tomorrow! I would like to read the book. Perhaps I can join you at a later time.

Also, I did the consecration several years ago, but have yet to renew it. My date was the Assumption. Would it be appropriate for me to renew my consecration with you ladies, or must I wait until my original consecration period?

Carole, may I recommend joining us for the Pentecost consecration? And then on the Feast of the Assumption, also renew your consecration without the 33 day preparation. Perhaps make a novena prior to Assumption as a way of preparing.

And maybe join us in the read along by using the link and use your book when it arrives.

Welcome!

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

MarieC wrote:
Although....maybe we're better off to do a little more earlier on so our load is lighter during Holy Week and Easter.

This is an important consideration. The Consecration really packs on the prayers in the last couple of weeks. Combine that with preps for Holy Week and we're looking at more work that can be done most likely.

I remember now, I did my Consecration this same time last year! I remember barely making the readings/prayers because of all of the preps for Holy Week and Easter. How cool. (See how bad my memory is! - it was only a year ago! )

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

MarieC wrote:
I've never read the book but could we allow about 10 days per chapter? That would mean Chapters 1 & 2 in February (10 days +); Chapters 3,4,5 in March and 6 & 7 in April.

I think this sounds like a good way to begin.

amiefriedl wrote:
MarieC wrote:
Although....maybe we're better off to do a little more earlier on so our load is lighter during Holy Week and Easter.

This is an important consideration. The Consecration really packs on the prayers in the last couple of weeks. Combine that with preps for Holy Week and we're looking at more work that can be done most likely.

I think we will be OK. We are planning to dedicate May to the preparation period with "all the prayers." Holy Week we'll just be reading the book.

Please correcgt me if I'm mistaken. (We can talk more about the preparation period later.)

As far as organizing and planning, shall we try a new thread for each chapter?

So, for tomorrow a thread will begin ...

We're beginning chapter I of True Devotion
(Here's the link)
Please try to read the chapter by ... February 12?
Use this thread for any comments or questions on chapter I.

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Thanks, Helen. I think that renewing my Consecration on Pentecost would be wonderful! We prayed a novena to discern whether we should homeschool that ended on Pentecost. So this day has very great significance in our lives.

And I will join you as I can with the True Devotion to Mary. I am very excited.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 1:47am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I have just started reading my True Devotion book, I also have an online copy.

As I am reading through, I am marking with pencil, the passages and sentences that I have questions about or I am deeply effected by ~ maybe I will take some of these thoughts and questions to the forum.

Then I have gone to my online copy and cut and pasted those parts and saved them as a document. This is as far as I have gotten but I think this will help me (the girl with the very bad memory..) as I go through the many chapters over the next few months.

What a walk down memory lane...especially coming across the different passages I have heard my husband quote and discuss with me, many, many years ago.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 6:20am | IP Logged Quote Helen

aussieannie wrote:
I have just started reading my True Devotion book, I also have an online copy.

As I am reading through, I am marking with pencil, the passages and sentences that I have questions about or I am deeply effected by ~ maybe I will take some of these thoughts and questions to the forum.

Please do Anne
I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

Thanks Anne! That is what we have been doing all these years. Our date has always been on the Feast of the Annunciation. I do remember reading somewhere though that you could do a renewal in three days. So that is why I asked. Since our renewal always falls during lent with all the readings and prayers plus whatever we our doing for lent as a family and privately can get a little uhmm....stressful I guess I would say... just extremely tired...but I don't want to change our date from the when we first made our Consecration. Guess the devil is trying to temp me not to do it!

Another question is that you are suppose to wear a "chain" to show that your are a slave of Mary. What do any of you do if you do this?

Thanks again!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version