Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: For Those of You Who Send Your Kids to HS Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Has homework been a major issue?

I'm asking because a friend of mine's son goes to a local Catholic high school for 9th grade & he has a ton of homework. In the evenings & on the weekends, he's so busy with homework that the family no longer has the family "down-time" that they have grown used to. Also the mom is very stressed because she homeschools her daughter all day, tutors some other children (to pay for the school!) and then helps her son with his work in the evenings & on weekends so she ends up with no break. She's quite depressed by all of this & feels as if her son is grown & gone but he's only 14 .

We're discerning what to do with our sons in the high school years & I would appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on this. Thank you!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Brenda, Trip has done more homework in the first trimester in school than he ever did in his entire life, combined. He does get all his homework done so his weekends are totally free, but his evenings are nothing but homework and dinner most nights.

Fortunately, he is very independent, and since his first grades came out, he is way more relaxed about everything. Yes, it is a lot of work, but that's normal, at least for the school he chose to attend. Homework was a big concern for me, and it does take a good deal more time than I would like, but I do see the value of it in this case, most of the time. If I had to help him with it, it would make me crazy...I can see why it might be upsetting to your friend. It seems to me that if the teaching is going well, there should not be a great need for homework help in most subjects.

Trip frequently grimaces and remarks that homeschooling is way more efficient.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

My 16yods attends an academically-challenging Catholic high school. He also plays football (although I hope this was the last year ,) and basketball (his passion.)

During football season, practices were after school, and Mike would get home about 8pm. He would shower and eat dinner, and then study. School is not easy for him, and he often was up waaay tooo late (sometimes 12 or 1 am. ) He gets up at 6:30 for school.
Basketball is easier, as the practices are at the most, 2 1/2 hours. Plus, since he loves basketball, I dont' think it is as hard as football was on him, if that makes sense. He studies after school, and sometimes after practice, but gets to bed at a decent hour, at least for him- 10pm.   Weekends weren't too bad, though, during football. We managed to find time for fun.

If he didn't have sports, he would have a much easier time. That said, he probably puts in a good 3 hours a day, sometimes an hour more, of study. But, like I said, school is harder for him, always has been.

My older 18yods, now in college, has always found school easy. When he "left home" to go to high school, he studied, maybe an hour or so a night. His school might have been a bit "easier," but it, too, was Catholic. He is getting fantastic grades in college, so he was prepared well.

Again, my older ds had a friend who went to the same school as my 16yo, and he barely studied, and got super grades.

I guess it depends on the individual, outside activities, and the school.

I don't know how helpful I've been! My boys have been very sports-oriented, and the ones they have loved playing weren't available, in a terribly competitive way, outside of high school league. My 16yo plays AAU basketball in his off-season. I don't know if sports are a consideration for your sons? In MI, you can't be home-schooled and play on any high school team.

I will pray for you and the discernment you are seeking!

Stacy in MI
dss 18, 16, 11, 8, 5, and 2
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Thanks Macbeth & Stacy for your comments! My friend is very, very involved with her kids academically. She has 3 children & has had the time to work with them. She's also very bright! My kids are doing alot of work independently & with 6 in a space of 10 years, I can't imagine being as involved as her. Both of you gave me great insight into that aspect.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

stellar9
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote stellar9

Are you concerned for your son with the amount of homework, or how much will be required of you? I understand your friend feeling burnt out.

My oldest went to Catholic high school after being homeschooled all his life. I guess I got lucky because he wanted to go and aside from driving him there and home, he did everything else himself and I really didn't have to help him with his homework or anything. He did have a lot of homework, but was able to balance it with a healthy social life. So I don't think your friend's experience is necessarily going to be your experience.

OTOH, my 3rd child is now in 9th grade and would require much hand holding if he were to be attending a hs. He requires a lot of hand holding with the very simple, flexible program we've created for him at home.

Micki
Back to Top View stellar9's Profile Search for other posts by stellar9

Cathmomof8
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote Cathmomof8

Our eldest is a senior in a rural PS. He hsed through his sophmnore year. We've only seen him do homewrork probably less than 10 times in a year and a half. He says he works in study hall. He has maintained a 3.6 gpa. Fortunately for him, he is very bright. I hope he won't be too shocked and overwhelmed next year in college. double sigh.

Theresia
Back to Top View Cathmomof8's Profile Search for other posts by Cathmomof8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version