Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: basic start up ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mom3bme
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 10 2006 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote mom3bme

I will be starting homeschooling for my 3rd grader in January and have sketched out a basic format to follow, as listed below:

For core subjects (which will learn in the a.m.)

Catholic Heritage Curricula: lesson plan, language arts, and speller

Handwriting: Still stumped on this one

Religion: Either Faith & Life or Image of God

Math: Modern Curriculum Press

I want to start out slow and detox from the fill & drill schooling. I plan on adding science but I'm not sure if I should go unit study, living books & narration, or textbook (Apologia Botany looked interesting). I'll also supplement the CHC lesson plan social studies curricula with a maps, graphs book from Seton or CHC, but maybe not until the 2nd month.

I want the core work to be done in 1 - 2 hours (max) with the rest of the day for extra stuff like reading using CM approach, extra activities (piano, YMCA, play). I'm very worried about how to fill this time but am praying to God for the grace to find our way as we go.

I'm also interested in the field study area but don't want to overwhelm myself with starting too much stuff in the first year.

Since, I have another child in the public school, we will probably take this summer off. This will leaves us with about 5 1/2 months of schooling/home learning time.

How does the above sound to you veterans? All advice is welcomed.

Thank you & God Bless,

Kelly

Back to Top View mom3bme's Profile Search for other posts by mom3bme

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 10 2006 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Hi Kelly,
We have been homeschooling now for 5 years. The first two years I purchased a packaged curriculum complete with lesson plans and books. I felt I needed some direction. The first year (K) was fine. 1st grade I started getting resistance. It was all textbook, workbook material. My curious, bright eyed, lively little boy was getting bored, and trying to accomplish simple workbook pages was like pulling teeth. The next year we tried a little more relaxed curriculum, still with workbooks though. I then discovered Elizabeth's book. I loved the the idea of this way of learning!! This sounded like fun, not only for them but for me!!, But every fall the UPS driver would show up with boxes of workbooks for my gang . I feel like in our short little homeschool career we have tried EVERYTHING.(not really, but it feels like it.)       
One day as my children were sitting at the kitchen table with there workbooks opened and me pulling them along to get it done, them complaining, me complaining. I realized this can't be much fun for them. How boring learning out of workbooks, day in, day out. Learning about this beautiful world that God created for us at the kitchen table I opened Elizabeth's book again. ( 5 weeks after starting our workbook oriented school year)And I stopped everything except for the math workbooks. I added math games. We started going outside, drawing and writing (them narrating to me) about what they saw. We started reading good books out loud, them narrating to me about what the book was about. I have them starting dictation. Copying a passage from the books we read and that is how we are doing handwriting and spelling and grammar. For religion, living the liturgical year, reading bible stories, saints books. For history, I am starting to find some good books for that and we will read them out loud and I will have the children narrate. Science, the same way, and also just being outside. I finally saw the brightness in their eyes again after laying off.
I basically took Elizabeth's book and wrote down what I needed to do for each subject. I took what she recommends and broke it down that way, and we will go from there.
Whew, I am sorry this is so long. (just my two cents) I am rambling and I hope this makes sense!! I guess the whole point of my response is you are going to have to see what works for you and tweek it from there. What works this year may not work the next. That is how it was for us. I want to make learning a lifestyle (which up until this point it wasn't) I don't mean to bash workbooks I do think they have there place.
It looks like you have all of your bases covered to me. I think the best advice is start off slowly, and most importantly PRAY!! And yes, God will give you the grace you need!! There are others out there with much more experience than myself. I am sure they will chime in. I still feel knew to all of this myself.
I will be praying for you on your new adventure!! God Bless You!!

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2006 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Kirsten,
Glad to hear it is going so well! I was wondering how the transition went!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2006 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

mom3bme wrote:
I want to start out slow and detox from the fill & drill schooling. I plan on adding science but I'm not sure if I should go unit study, living books & narration, or textbook

Kelly
The question to ask is which way appeals to you the most? And also your ds which would be more his style? YOu are best not to force yourself to be something your not you will be unhappy and that will be reflected in your enthusiasm level.

mom3bme wrote:
I'm very worried about how to fill this time but am praying to God for the grace to find our way as we go.

Don;t worry your time will fill effortlessly.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version