Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: CM Companion by Andreola Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 27 2006 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

wow.
I admit to laziness or just timidness. I have not read those intimidating 6 volumes of Charlotte Mason.
I was however hoping slimly to abtain 4 Real Learning from the library and instead found another recommendation from Elizabeth Foss - Andreola's CM Companion.
wow.
I got it yesterday and have just finished reading through it this morning. I have no tabs left to mark insights and notes. I will be buying my own copy asap.
wow.
I hate parenting books and most education books. After 6 years and lots of research, I've found most to be of, at best, a minimal benefit.
This book however, gives the meat. She didn't just tell me why narration is important. She actually tells HOW to do it and HOW to correct problems implementing it.

Now I'm inspired!
I am going to keep my children close to me to work on strengthening their Will! I'm going to look for art books at the used store! I'm going to put in Mozart everyday at tea time next week! I'm going to start having tea time!   
I'm going to gather other books near me to cultivate my "Mother Culture" because lately my well has been running dry, which means empty buckets!

I'm just giddy. This is not what I thought Charlotte Mason was at all. I do so much of it already and didn't even know it. All these stumbling blocks that have had me mystified for so long, I think I finally see how to navigate some of them.

sigh
I'm so relieved to finally have the lights turned onto these problem areas that have been holding us back.

Did anyone else feel this way? I can't wait to read 4 Real Learning and For the Children's Sake and I'm hoping to get my hands on the CM volume set too!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2006 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

I really enjoyed this book, too. However, I have to say that Elizabeth's book is even better (imho). I am so thankful that Karen and Elizabeth have taken the time to share.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2006 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Martha wrote:
Did anyone else feel this way?

Yep.

CM Companion was the first book I ever saw and read on CM. I was immediately entranced and haven't come out of the spell since.    My copy is literally falling apart.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2006 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Christine wrote:
Elizabeth's book is even better (imho).

OH! Now I'm really feeling deprived! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2006 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I have to admit - it is also one of my favourite CM books. I share my copy with those new to CM - and just tell them to read and apply in parts - they don't have to do everything at once!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2006 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I had never read the 6 volumes either. But thanks to Amy I am now! One bite-size chunk at a time!
A Full Life: The works of Charlotte Mason

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2006 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Martha wrote:
Did anyone else feel this way?

Oh, yes! And every time I begin to feel like I'm not prioritizing my day (lesson time-wise) or helping to focus my children's growth in certain areas, I just pull out my CM Companion and 4Real Learning books and read, read, read...instant peace!! (along with a little prayer for guidance) I think my way-too-high expectations of myself and the kids get away from me and these books "reel me back in" to the real world of living a learning lifestyle.

Glad to hear you're inspired too!             

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 28 2006 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I read Elizabeth's book first, and then CM Companion. Both opened my eyes and were so inspiring. I'm not immersed in schooling multiple children, but they still really made an impression on me.

Now are the other Andreola titles as good or helpful?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 28 2006 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Martha,
You might also enjoy Penny Gardner's Charlotte Mason Study Guideand Karen Rackliffe's Wild Days. Wild Days is out of print but worth hunting...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2006 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

CM Companion was the first CM book that I read too. I really loved it and it changed our schooling entirely. I've read Penny Gardner and Catherine Levison's books too, but I've gotten the most out of Elizabeth's book. It was such a breath of fresh air for someone to connect our Catholic Faith to CM's philosophy. It completed it (CM's method).

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2006 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Thank you for the recommendations Elizabeth. I'm hoping my library has them.

A question...
The one thing that stood out as an obstacle is the art work. It's beautiful! Even the 'earlier' works done by the children seems outstanding to me.

What do those of us who love beauty, but are completely inept at contributing to it, do in this area of study? What about children not so talented? What about children who have a dislike of drawing?

I'm considering doing photography as a family experience... to help fill this area for 2 of my children and everyone's enjoyment. opinions? Am I the only one with this difficulty?

On a related topic..
I went to the used book store and got 10 (TEN!) great books about individual great artists for the awesome price of $40. A brief explaination and intro at the begining of each books, then nothing but lots and lots of their great works. The books are fairly large too (14" x 10") so the pictures are of a good size to notice details. A great deal on top of everything else.. life is good.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 30 2006 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I just wanted to add a plug for Sally Clarkson's Educating the Wholehearted Child.

This book, along with Real Learning and the CM Companion are the books I refer to regularly.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 30 2006 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Martha,

I am artistically challenged, and some of my dc are too. We have borrowed many drawing books but have found the Draw, Write, Now series to be the best for us. Our library carries some of them, but we finally bought the 8 volume set (cheaper than buying them all individually). We don't use the writing suggestions, just the drawing portions. My boys love them.

I think that photography is a great idea too. We also use stickers and coloring pages from the great masters (some dover and some off internet) for those who don't like to draw as much. And we trace. I do require drawings on occasion and we do activities from Discovering Great Artists - Hands-On Art for Children, because if they never practice drawing, they'll never improve. And I think that it's a good skill to cultivate.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 30 2006 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

cathhomeschool wrote:

... because if they never practice drawing, they'll never improve. And I think that it's a good skill to cultivate.

I agree wholeheartedly. I come from a nature drawing perspective, so keep that in mind...
Drawing, to me, is less about creating a work of art, and more about learning how to pay attention to detail. To draw well, one must observe a thing closely. And the more studied your observations, the more accurate (and therefore more beautiful) your drawings.This attention to detail will help you to not only learn more about your subject (ex: gee, I didn't realize a fiddler crab had so many mouthparts!), but will carry over into other areas of your child's work.
When I first started sitting down to draw with my ds, he got easily frustrated because his drawings did not turn out the way he wanted them to, and he was always comparing his drawings to mine and finding them lacking.
So I began with simple encouragement to look closer at this line or that shape or those parts and make small improvements.
After many, many drawings and much encouragement, he is more able to look at his subject and determine right off the various shapes and how they fit together and where to begin his drawings. This makes him much less easily frustrated. And he can see that his drawings are now coming closer and closer to how he envisions they should be. This is very satisfying to him and in turn encourages him to do more and more complicated and detailed drawings.

Of course, am not an artist and have never taken any kind of art lessons or classes, so my experience is all I have to share.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

I second the recommendation of "Educating the Wholehearted Child." My copy is now held together with duck tape! This is the book I turn to when I need a reminder of why I do this; that God will give me the strenght to do this; etc. I also love the fact that they give specific recommendations of various programs and materials that have worked for their family. Love it!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2006 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Theresa, Superboy's drawings are amazing as are your own! Very inspiring.

Elizabeth, I really enjoy Penny Gardner's approach as well. There is such richness to be found in the sidebar on her site.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version