Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Logic beyond MP? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 23 2006 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

What logic resources have you used for a high schooler, besides the ones available from Memoria Press? My teen has gone through TL 1& 2. I would like to do something different now rather than continue with Material Logic -- or at least have a few choices to think about.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 03 2006 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

WJFR wrote:
What logic resources have you used for a high schooler, besides the ones available from Memoria Press? My teen has gone through TL 1& 2. I would like to do something different now rather than continue with Material Logic -- or at least have a few choices to think about.

Willa,
Stephen is using "With Good Reason" by S. Morris Engel. It is not formal logic, but a college text that introduces informal fallacies. I wish I had had Adam do this also, because his 2nd English composition class required memorization of many of these fallacies before the students wrote their argumentative essays. I bought the teacher's edition which Stephen uses. It includes all the answers to the exercises. The ISBN for the TM is: 0-312-24245920. If you only want 1/2 the answers (which would be sufficient IMO) you can buy the student edition. The TM for some reason was less expensive. It is a fun text with Far Side cartoons (sort of reminds me Jacob's math). In first 1 or 2 chapters, Stephen bogged down, so I had him skip some of the exercises. It was formal logic in hyperspeed. Stephen has not done Trad. Logic. We were going to do Trad. Log. 1 next semester.
"With Good Reason" is a fun text, but challenging enough. It is not as dry as Trad Log. That's why I chose to begin with it first, because he is having to do it on his own. Hopefully he can plug into Memoria Press's class on Trad. Log. next semester.
Blessings,
Stephanie
Back to Top View StephanieA's Profile Search for other posts by StephanieA

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2006 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Thanks!!! Stephanie.
It sounds perfect.    I guess if you are using it, it's not offensively secular, right? Any other cautions?

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 03 2006 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

[QUOTE=WJFR] Thanks!!! Stephanie.
It sounds perfect.    I guess if you are using it, it's not offensively secular, right? Any other cautions?

Actually, I got the title from the Bluedorns. I once had the "Fallacy Detective" and we did it as a family. But once I bought this book, I found it better for what I wanted. The weird thing was many of the examples from the "Fallacy Detective" are nearly word-for-word from this book. Ummmm. But on page 13 and 161 and 171 I whited out an example. If I can remember correctly one was on divorce and the other may have been about homos*xuals. I just can't remember. But overall, I think it is suitable for my 16 year old though he might find a few more examples that aren't to our taste. I haven't read the book word-for-word. That said, I found some of Bluedorn's examples less than stellar (a few on divorce and domestic abuse, if I remember correctly. But it has been several years since I read it. Either way, there were examples I skipped when I read this book aloud with the kids).
Blessings,
Stephanie   

StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 03 2006 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

Willa,
Well, after speaking to Stephen I am going to pull my suggestion until further analysis
I read about 3 chapters in the middle of the book earlier last year, and I found the book very interesting, but it did have some example problems. That said, nothing worse than the Teaching Company tape issues that I have a problem with on Shakespeare and music or certain issues discussed in Greek literature, etc. He found the first two chapters hard going (he just started). I think he is bogging down on the exercises. So I suggested this evening that he should skip the exercises in chapter 2 and get to the meat of the program in chapter 3 where the informal fallacies begin. (Chapter 1 is formal logic, chapter 2 is a chapter on the medium of language). What I liked about it was it incorporates quotes from Shakespeare, Plato, Chesterton, Einstein, political figures from all ages, etc. It just seemed interesting to ME.
Maybe you could interlibrary loan a copy and read it for yourself first. I really should have read the WHOLE book before handing it to Stephen. Then I would know if his problem is the text or that he needs a little more input from me to make it more interesting. I just don't know. Sixteen is a hard age with all these hormones things going on He could get to the middle of the book and change his mind.
I wanted to give you a head's up. Next time I had better read the WHOLE book before suggesting it. Now to find the time to do this before the kids grow up! But final analysis is that I think the book is worth a look at and I will be reading it as soon as I finish a couple of other books on my ever-increasing list
Blessings,
Stephanie

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version