Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Ideas for parish youth groups Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 29 2006 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I am the youth liason ofiicer for my parish council.

We are looking at revitalizing our parish youth group.

Does your parish have a youth group? Do your kids attend? And what sorts of activites/format does the youth group take?

Thanks for any tips!

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2006 at 1:53am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Our parish has a youth group, but we do not attend as there is too much attempt to entertain (ie compete with the world). However, my dc did attend a Holy Hour that was set up at the request of a few of the teens (though not exclusively for them as some of the parents and youngers also attended the Holy Hour). The priest heard confessions before and after the Holy Hour and pizza was ordered in for after the Holy Hour for the teens to visit a bit, etc. My teens (all 3 of them) really, really liked this and have missed it since this priest is now 2 hours away . We are hoping this will resume again with our new associate priest.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2006 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote momwise

What a great assignment Leonie!

My dc both attend a parish based youth group. For years we set up our own homeschool teen activities but for the moment we have excellent youth leaders at our neighborhood parishes and they are enjoying going with their homeschool friends.

When my oldest ds was at a parish based youth group several years ago run by the Christian Life Movement from Peru, the boys and girls had seperate groups. It turned out to be a very good idea but I don't think most pastors would go for it. The boys' group would meet for a talk and then go have ice cream or play football. The reason I liked it was that the boys seemed to be able to be more themselves and bond with other boys through contact sports, etc. They loved it. My dd attended the girls' group a few years ago and just loved it. The leader was a young college student who always prepared well. She would give them Bible based games to play together and she would read about a saint and then lead a discussion about how to imitate that saint in the modern world. They did a couple of apostolates to the parish pro-life ministry and sometimes they just played board games.

Our former parish also has a huge Spanish speaking Young Adults group (75+) that gathers at Planned Parenthood to say the Rosary. I don't know how often; maybe once a month or more.

Our current youth groups are led by very well grounded grads of Catholic colleges like Benedictine or Stuebenville who combine Catechesis with games and food. My dd's group (It looks like my dc have ended up at 2 different parishes; something I'm going to try to change this year for the sake of my gas tank ) recently viewed different parts of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and had teachings and discussions about the Christian meaning of various parts of the movie. Ds's group recently had a great talk followed by games based on the Bible and CCC where the kids could earn play money for correct answers and then buy things from the "store." Then they had the (according to ds)"best game of Capture the Flag in a long time."

I would definitely like to see Eucharistic based prayer, either Adoration or Mass, become the basis of each meeting, with the other things staying the same but I am really happy with the level of catechesis and orthodoxy of the leaders compared to when my dc were younger and certainly compared to when I was in parish youth groups (1970's )

I hope this is enough detail for you. I'm sure I can talk to the kids and get more info if you'd like. Best Wishes!!

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Leonie,

I don't have much experience with youth groups at all, but had a quick idea to pitch, anyway!

My oldest has recently been attending a weekly youth night with other so0n to be 6, 7 and 8 graders. There is a large homeschool participation, so we felt it was the time to try the youth group kind of event. My dd loved it.

We have a new pastor who is awesome. The format is called "Pizza with the Pastor." It begins at 6 pm and ends at 8 pm. Pizza and soft drinks are provided free of charge and after dinner, there is a question and answer with the pastor. Slips of paper are handed around and anyone is free to put them in a box and they are answered by Father at the next meeting. Obviously, the "anonymous" factor helps the kids be honest in some of their questions and concerns... Some of the questions have been along the lines of:

How old are you, Father?

Did you ever date, Father? Can priests be married?

Is it a sin to miss Mass if I'm just a little bit sick?

What is your favorite all-time book, movie?

I like this because it helps the kids learn about their faith and get to know their pastor, as well. Our priest is completely accessible to the kids and they love it!!

After the Q & A, the kids listen to a speaker. They have heard from the diocesan vocations director among others. The last meeting of the summer, our Bishop was the speaker.

Obviously, this kind of program wouldn't work without the priest's direct involvement but I can say it has been an answer to prayer for us as we have been searching for a spiritual director for dd and now as she has gotten to know Fr., she has decided to go to him for direction.

Many blessings to you in your endeavor!!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2006 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Wow, Jennifer, I like the idea - thanks.

Thanks everyone for suggestions.

Two of mine attend the parish youth group , the one for those in year 8 - year 12 ( high school age here).

They have fun and being new to Sydney last year, it was a good way for them to make friends.

I am friendly with the younger curate in our parish. He and I have been concerned that there is little Catholic input - it is mostly fun and games, some food, a little discussion and a little prayer. But nothing meaty and no priests invited. Some service stuff but not enough.

And the numbers don't reflect the parish - it could be a lively part of our big parish.

So - I am the liason officer. Not sure if the youth group leader wants to liase but the parish council certainly wants me to!

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2006 at 1:32am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Leonie,

I can't share now because we're heading out of town in a few days (I really should be packing right now!), but I will when we get back. I love the suggestions already given.

I just read that World Youth Day will be in Australia in.....can't remember the year ! That would be an awesome thing for your youth group to participate in.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version