Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Can't decide history & science Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
gina
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 20 2006 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote gina

Ladies,
I need rescued!   I have 5ds and 10 ds.
I have much of MODG AM history to get through Civil War.
But Sonlight has so many more great books to read(Core 4 AM.Hist part 2), and my son is a reader.
And Sonlight has a wonder-full science Core 4(that covers all the scope and sequence for 5th grade) And they have it organized and I wouldn't have to do very much, I could relax.

On the other hand St.Thomas Aquinas has a wonderful
Intro to Physics, with Building amazing bridges, and Intro to Architecture (none of which i have seen) that sound great to me and my son. They on the other hand want to start Ancient/Classical studies which we want to do too, but were planning on 6th to start it.

Then there is mom intendsive Science the Search by David Quinn, hands on, unit study science. Great, but I just don't have the energy or get up and go to do. Poor boys.

MA has and guts for science, but we did the human body last year.

I even feel like putting Prairie primer off my future list cause unit study is scaring me to .
I can imagine doing unit study with FIAR with 5ds, but
I just can't handle unit study of history, science, Math, Language Arts, Bible, etc...all in the same year. I have to be on duty 8hrs hsing and trying to find the stuff to do the unit study with the rest of my day. I already spend hours on the computer trying to locate books and figure out how in the world i will do unit study with 10ds and even be able to get in 5ds FIAR(which is a must, he just doesn't follow any of 10ds history or LArts or Religion, I think he would follow his science though)
I am only one busy mom.

I want planned & easy, but thrilling and rememberable for the boys. I did Abeka UGW science for 4th and he did not retain as much as i thought he would or should.
So I know he needs more hands on in science.

My husband says 10ds may not be old enough to get all he could out of Physic intro., but he would love the bridges.

Sorry to be long winded.

I need some more clarity from you Ladies.

Thanks
Gina
Back to Top View gina's Profile Search for other posts by gina

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2006 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

It's OK, Gina. Relax. You can do this!
I know we all can get caught up in fretting over which is the very best way to plan our school time. But, honestly, all of the options you listed would be just fine. You just need to relax, pray, and pick one. You really cannot go wrong with any Sonlight, MODG, MA, FIAR or Prairie Primer. They are all good, solid programs. The only thing is, they are pretty different in style. Think about what has worked for you and your dc in the past. Has it been literature based, classical, or hands-on type learning that has provided your dc with the most valuable learning experiences. And which has been the most natural way for you to teach? Are you attracted to CM methods, project-based education, or are you more classically inclined? Combine your dc learning styles with your teaching style and the choice should be more clear.
It sounds as if you are not quite confident in doing a large unit study. That's fine. Maybe another year under your belt and you will feel more confident. Maybe not. Unit-studies are not for everyone, just as Sonlight or MODG is not for everyone!
Which overall program do you like best? You can always substitute if, for instance you like CM and are attracted to MA, then just switch out the science you've already done with another (they have some neat plans to go with Universe in My Hands, for example). Same thing with MODG or Sonlight. (Im not sure of subbing with STAA, I know very little about them).
My point, really in all of this is that you should relax, look at the bigger picture, and don't fret about the details. They are all good choices so you really cannot go wrong with any of them. Pray to your Guardian Angel to help in your discernment and then rest easy. You'll be fine!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2006 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I know this may sound odd - but I have signed up for a school just for some of the lesson plans - and just didn't report to/through them, so that would always be an option with STAA if you really wanted to do their science. When I did this, I was simply upfront with the school before I signed up - I want the plans, I will be substituting freely and my record keeping for my state is through my cover school so I really don't need duplicate service here. Sometimes they will let you purchase single courses, sometimes not. I don't remember what STAA did for us - but I think I signed up and used some of their stuff and a bunch of my own from other sources.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2006 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

gina wrote:
Ladies,
I need rescued!   I have 5ds and 10 ds.
I have much of MODG AM history to get through Civil War.
But Sonlight has so many more great books to read(Core 4 AM.Hist part 2), and my son is a reader.
And Sonlight has a wonder-full science Core 4(that covers all the scope and sequence for 5th grade) And they have it organized and I wouldn't have to do very much, I could relax.

Hi there!

I can't comment on the other programs, but I used to be a longtime SL user/comoderator of the SL Catholic forum. I can speak on Am. history cores and the science, anyway.

You need to know, first of all, if you really are a unit study type person. Generally unit study people enjoy the process of building their studies, adding in things, and get energized by the whole idea. They can't wait to have that ancient studies food and costume party at the end of the quarter! Then there are people like me, who get tired just thinking about it.    I wish I could school that way because it sounds like so much fun. But you don't have to school with unit studies to make memorable moments. It can all be done with literature, a cozy couch, and perhaps some warm muffins or cookies, occasionally.

SL has great readers and read alouds, and most of them can work just fine for a Catholic family. SL's biggest downside (and I believe it to be a very BIG downside) is that there are too many books for one family to cover in a year without feeling rushed. SL does not subscribe to the principle "Less is More."

Given that you said you have MODG's syllabus already, I would pick the readers/read alouds from SL that look the best to you and schedule them into the syllabus you already own. Once you get the books, the basic pace SL has is 1 chapter a day for read alouds when the chapter is long or the print is small, and a couple of chapters a day if its a fast read. The core 4 readers are significantly more difficult than the core 3 readers. If your child is fluent...could easily read books like Island of the Blue Dolphins, Lion Witch and Wardrobe, etc...then he's ready for core 4's readers. I would pay close attention to the "read on your own" age listed in SL's catalogue when choosing readers. Its not uncommon for them to include a reader in core 4 that is listed (R=5-8th grade). Its also not uncommon for them to choose read alouds that are emotionally grueling at times. If the description sounds heavy, it probably is. Some kids are too sensitive and need to wait to read the books when older. I have saved tons of books that were supposed to be read alouds and used them as readers with a child 3 years older.

Fwiw, I don't use SL as its designed at all. I have the manuals on my shelf for the levels I like (we've used pk-7) and I butcher and slash and cut books until it fits nicely into one school year. Or I plan on using it for 2 years.

SL's science...sometimes the experiments fall flat. Its not always as exciting as it sounds. I have sold most of the experiment books that we bought when we originally ordered from SL. I like to leave my child with books and no lecturing when it comes to science at this age. So I pick the most beautiful and interesting books and let him read them at a nice gentle pace on his own. And then I buy neat science kits at Target or the Hobby Shop that I am sure he can do on his own, and then let him fool around with it. I did this for several years with SL's books and then put him in a formal coop class with Abeka 6's science and most of it ended up being review for him. SL's science is not age graded at all. You could easily pick a science level much lower and incorporate your 5 yr old if you wanted to do that route, too.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions if you want.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

gina
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 21 2006 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote gina

Well, its morning and I do feel fresher and more relaxed than last night.
Thank you for your replies and insights.
I want to be a unit study person because I feel it's the best way to learn, but I do get tired, not enthused when I think of projects. And year end parties and larger projects never get done in my house.
Totally because of me and my faults.

Honestly looking at my children and interviewing my 10ds: he likes learning from books about history and novels about characters from history. He still dislikes writing but is getting better about that due to Dad's mandatory short notice reports. He likes projects like building a wigwam or prairie house or midevil castle, and dress up, putting on plays, memorizing poems, etc... Loves all periods of history.
He likes science and experiments, wants to build the bridges because he wants to be an architectural engineer.

5ds has to have hands on reinforcement because his eyes glaze over when i read a history book or copywork or math worksheets . He can take about 5min. or writing whether it's letters or numbers right now. Big clue that he needs living books, i guess . He absorbs every thing i read him about science, and is always asking to do experiments -- any and every kind.

So basically, I guess, I need to pray that God changes me into an organized, Unit-Study Mom whose not afraid of serious multitasking and chaos?
Dear God, I need a mentor.

Thanks for being here.

Gina

Back to Top View gina's Profile Search for other posts by gina

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version