Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Motivation, high school and boys Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 13 2012 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

My14 year old seriously lacks motivation lately. I am looking at 9th grade next year and really worried. I am so close to sending him to school but I my heart know it isn't what I should do due to our school system and the culture there. But he needs discussion, interaction, different people, etc. He is so smart but not academically focused right now. Tell me this is a phase , please....
I was planning on outsourcing biology, latin( he is tutored now and more motivated for this than anything else), and I would love to find a math option, too.
I also have a very young 3rd grader who is struggling with reading and spelling and is picking up on the attitude from him. My days are not the joy they once were.
On one hand, I am tempted to throw everything out the window and just have fun and read a lot, but high school is right around the corner....

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2012 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Definitely a phase, definitely. Experienced it with my first ds, experienced it with my second ds, was hoping it would pass my third ds as he has been my most motivated ds and now he has it My boys tend to begin this around 13 and come out of it close to 15, grade 7 & 8 here.

I know we've discussed this before (can't find the thread) and it is very common. Hang in there

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mary's daughter
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mary's daughter

Do you have available a once-a-week co-op for high schoolers? We did this and it really helps to have them accountable to someone else. It really was an answer to prayers for us.

Stephanie
Back to Top View Mary's daughter's Profile Search for other posts by Mary's daughter

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2012 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

I'm not in this stage because mine are so much younger. But, as a former 7 & 8 grade public school teacher, I'll let you know that many of the ones in school aren't doing much better. It's such a socially-motivated time. It also lacks the college-bound constraints that happen once they get to high school.

Your gut instinct about outsourcing school opportunities sound pretty good. So much of the time I would give glowing reports about my students during parent/teacher conferences, and the parents would be dumbfounded. They were having a heck of a time w/ the same students at home.

Any chance he'd be interested in a music or drama group? What about a Lego or robotics club? Scouts? You could meld social with learning in something like that.

Back to Top View 3ringcircus's Profile Search for other posts by 3ringcircus

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2012 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

I am glad to hear it's pretty normal. I just needed to hear it again.
We have no coop that is nearby. I am hoping the tutoring and bio class at a christian high school will suffice. He is very involved in 4H and sports. He just wants MORE social, I can see the "Socially-Motivated" time being so true--which is why I think school would help But, it won't. It'll just introduce other problems.
He isn't choosing the best friends. And he's hanging with some kids who teach him things that aren't useful. He seemed more mature at 8-10 than he does now. So I'll just pray my way to 15 or so. Thanks all for the insight.

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2012 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

Just confirming its a phase. My older ds for sure was a different child in 7th and 8th! Absent minded, non focused and well, seemed bent on how LITTLE work he could get away with!! My dd is now that age and completely the opposite - I think I could leave her alone and she would get EVERYTHING DONE! Not my oldest at this age - he was about figuring out what he could get away with NOT doing!   BUt I decided to chime in here - now he is a freshman at college (a 4 year away from home college!) and this semester will be getting somewhere around a 3.5 - 3.7 GPA! So hang in there, keep up what you are doing!!

Barb
Back to Top View Barb.b's Profile Search for other posts by Barb.b

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version