Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: High school essay course using Chesterton Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We are embarking on a new course that I was inspired to undertake after reading the Nov/Dec 2011 Gilbert Magazine (back issues available here). In an interesting article entitled, The Children and the Cross, the author (Mr. Dale Ahlquist) described a writing course offered to a group of homeschoolers in which the children wrote essays, modeling them after Chesterton's essays. The premise was simple:

** Each week the class analyzed one of the essays in Tremendous Trifles (which is free for the kindle). If you've never read them, Chesterton's essays can be quite humorous. After reading an essay, the class discussed:

** Sentence construction
      ** Divisions
      ** Word count
      ** Detail selection
      ** Meaning
      ** Impact

Finally, after discussing Chesterton's essay, students would choose a topic of their own, and model Chesterton's style of writing from that particular essay.

From Ms. Thompson, the teacher of this homeschool writing course referenced in Mr. Ahlquist's article:
Quote:
We talked about how Chesterton saw rich meaning in all of God's world, everything around him. The kids were a bit taken aback by this because, I think, we have inadvertently separated our everyday lives from the spiritual aspects of the ordinary. I taught them to reflect, as Chesterton did, upon the little things in their lives and to see everything as meaningful."

Inspired by and modeled after Chesterton's essay, The Extraordinary Cabman, the students composed their own essays.

This is not a new concept - emulating a great writer. Many learned to write by doing just this....this is before a plethora of "writing curriculums" could be had via the favorite homeschool catalog.    Folks read great authors and then sought to rewrite the ideas: modeling the author's style, and challenging themselves to write it better. (By the way, it strikes me what an amalgamation of narration and commonplacing this approach is.) A most popular example is Thomas Jefferson, who frequently took passages, copied them, summarized them, and then challenged himself to then reiterate the ideas conveyed in his own words.

I was so inspired by this idea, I'm using it as the basis of a course using Chesterton's essays for our next term. The course will be very simple - we'll read an essay in Tremendous Trifles, enjoy a narration/discussion of the essay, being attentive to details and nuances of Chesterton's essay, and then my dd will write her own essay, based on Chesterton's.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this before? Other ideas? Insight? Care to join us?

Edited to say: After great interest we'll begin a series of threads enjoying Chesterton's essays. Index of those threads is below:

*************************** Index of Threads discussing Chesterton Essays ***************************

Chesterton Essay - A Piece of Chalk
The Perfect Game
The Extraordinary Cabman
The Wind and the Trees

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I can't help with practical experience, but am a willing tag-along...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Would this be an essay every week? Seems like alot as his essays are so full?

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

We haven't done this per say but my ds has modeled essays after other writers' essays, looking at the things you described (he did one last year on 'On Studies'). It was a good paper and we really dug in on the essay which he found difficult but rewarding!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

My girls and I love Chesterton.
But!...
Would this be too hard for me??

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Kristie 4 wrote:
Would this be an essay every week? Seems like alot as his essays are so full?

We won't be digging into some of his meatier works, but his simpler essays. To be honest, I find a great levity in all of his writing, but the essays in Tremendous Trifles are really quite extraordinarily delightful to read and consider. Today my dd read A Piece of Chalk; it's a very short essay. We had a delightful and very humorous discussion about the essay.

I do envision her reading an essay a week with discussion and narration to follow, but I'm flexible on the writing part and will follow her lead on that. If she'd like to take longer than a week to write an essay, that's ok with me. To be honest, Kristie, I'm just not sure exactly how this will play out - just know that we both enjoy Chesterton's shorter essays. My dd read his essay: On Lying in Bed a few weeks ago, and we both had such a great time discussing it! So when I saw the idea for making use of the essays from his book Tremendous Trifles in Gilbert Magazine, I discussed it with dd and she was excited to give it a try.

I'm just going to keep it pretty simple in terms of expectations and enjoy it playing out pretty naturally.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:
I can't help with practical experience, but am a willing tag-along...

Yay!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Donna Marie wrote:
My girls and I love Chesterton.
But!...
Would this be too hard for me??

I don't know - I'm wondering the same thing! But, we so enjoy reading Chesterton, that I'm just going to give us permission to enjoy the reading and discussing and we'll see how the rest goes. I'm not usually a big stickler for deeper, more academic analysis of a work, and to be honest, something like that would be a real turnoff for my daughter. So, our plan is to enjoy the essay, enjoy sharing about it together, and see what happens when she models an essay after Chesterton's.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

That sounds really interesting! I'll take a look at Tremendous Trifles and then talk to my son and see what he thinks. However, his schedule is so full right now we may not be able to swing it.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 1:05am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mackfam wrote:

** Each week the class analyzed one of the essays in Tremendous Trifles (which is free for the kindle).

Free for the Kindle - thanks, going to get it and we'll join you then.

Mackfam wrote:
I'm not usually a big stickler for deeper, more academic analysis of a work, and to be honest, something like that would be a real turnoff for my daughter. So, our plan is to enjoy the essay, enjoy sharing about it together, and see what happens when she models an essay after Chesterton's.

Ditto here on not wanting it to be something that would be a turn off, and so this is appealing.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

Jen,
We did this last year and it was a lot of fun. I think the guys would be willing to join you. We called it Ocular Athletics after the quote in the preface of Tremendous Trifles where Chesterton encourages everyone to become "Ocular Athletes" and "learn to see the startling facts that run across the landscape..." Even my then 11 year old joined in. It wasn't hard at all. I've been reading Saint Francis outloud this year and one of the boys commented that he did realize Chesterton could be so serious!
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh, Shari - I'm so glad you chimed in! It's so great to hear that your crew enjoyed something like this! Ocular Athletics is a great name!

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

We read several of Chesterton's works last year and are looking forward to more! It is amazing what you can get out of his work when you read S L O W L Y and out loud
Count us in!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

My son has read all of Chesterton's shorter works this year so I bet he would love this!! I will see if I can squeeze her in!

A Walk in the Woods

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I gave a quick oral description of this opportunity to Aiden. He laughed and said, "I'll do it if I can take a break from writing five paragraph essays." So there you have it, we're in!

Our pace may be slow and don't want to feel like we are holding anyone back. So full speed ahead! Thanks for asking, Jen!

Now...back to my Kindle decision .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

We are joining in too, more for my benefit than the kids.
Can you believe I've never read Chesterton? (sheepishly, she stated)

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Paula in MN wrote:
We are joining in too, more for my benefit than the kids.
Can you believe I've never read Chesterton? (sheepishly, she stated)

Oh, this is a great place to start then, Paula! These essays are so simple to read, so humorous. They're short and simple and take 15 min to read. Using humor and wit, Chesterton manages to take one on a journey they could not have initially imagined (even knowing the topic of the essay), often deftly and quite charmingly weaving a moral thought or two in and around the central thread of the essay. Lots of fun to read and discuss!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

we might join in too..

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Reading Shari and Donna Marie's posts has inspired me to at least at this to my 12yo dd kindle. I'll see if she bites I'll try to encourage discussion and at the very least add some quotes to her book of quotations, no pressure on the writing portion, to start.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

MicheleB
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleB

That looks fantastic. I definitely want to follow your adventures. Mine are a bit young at 7 and 11 still!   

http://thestripedrose.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View MicheleB's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleB Visit MicheleB's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version