Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: PSAT/SAT test prep Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

What about SAT test prep in general? Are there any good programs that break things down in simple steps without seeming intimidating?

Just as a hypothetical question. If a child never had any formal schooling and they had to take an SAT...what resources would you recommend to get them ready? This was a hot topic here last night and I was wondering what you all might have to say on the subject...I assume someone would have an opinion on this?

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Donna Marie wrote:
What about SAT test prep in general? Are there any good programs that break things down in simple steps without seeming intimidating?

Just as a hypothetical question. If a child never had any formal schooling and they had to take an SAT...what resources would you recommend to get them ready? This was a hot topic here last night and I was wondering what you all might have to say on the subject...I assume someone would have an opinion on this?

We just finished going through this. Sarah took the PSAT this fall after never having seen or taken a standardized test before. She did well, which is to say, not blow-your-socks-off...but well, very well. We knew she'd be at a slight disadvantage because we hadn't yet started Geometry in math yet this year (ironically, we began the week after she took the PSAT and she commented that now all those questions made sense! ).

Anyway, our approach toward the test was that it was not something we were going to stress over. It would not dictate or change the way we learn here, but we talked about it and wanted to be prudent and prepared for the test. I bought Barrons PSAT Prep book and had her work through a little each day in addition to her other work. She spent maybe 30 min each day, working her way through a section. If you start preparing with two weeks to go before the exam, you WILL be overwhelmed. We began about 3 months before the exam and that worked well. It gave Sarah time to cover everything in Barron's book at a slow pace, ask questions, and we were able to discuss their very helpful strategies and hints for taking the PSAT. Preparing at home at a relaxed pace gave us time to decide if we wanted to cover something new, like a few geometry concepts (which we did) in case it becomes clear that there are key concepts the student is missing before the exam. We had to make judgement calls on whether introducing the new concept would stress Sarah out more than it would help. In some cases, we decided together to leave it knowing we'd cover that concept soon and she'd have it for the next go-round (you WON'T be able to cover/master it all before a PSAT). The book provides several practice exams and she chose to do two of them. They give clear instructions to you, the parent, on how to proctor the exam so that it will mimic the actual exam times as closely as possible. The book also provides the answer keys to the test. It was a worthwhile investment and a pretty good indicator of how she would do overall.

After taking the test she felt like the practice time with the Barron's book was well spent and did indeed help her in feeling more prepared. She scored well, and thought that was due to the preparation and knowing the strategies for taking the test as much as individual skill/intelligence which allowed her to answer questions. Hope this helps, Donna Marie! Good luck!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Donna Marie, I think you're going to be surprised by what I share next...

My 16yo ds and I are having a GREAT time preparing for the PSAT! Our story is a bit different from Jen's...OK, it's completely different .

My ds is a sophomore so didn't *need* take it this year. He chose to take it because this past summer he went to a baseball camp which included insight into how to play college ball...which included talk about standardized tests. These coaches didn't stress these tests at all. They were very encouraging to do the best he could but to trust that with hard work in all areas of his life, he would find a fit. Hearing this from men he admired REALLY reduced his stress.

So my ds chose to take the test "for practice." About a month before the test he picked up the booklet that is given when you sign up. He studied it and my dh and I gave him some feedback when he asked. He took the test and declared he was OK with it. A few of his buddies took it too...many didn't...now he feels a little ahead of his peers - more reduced stress.

He hasn't received his score and is very sure he didn't do all that well. BUT...he knows it "doesn't count" so he needs to be ready for next year.

After taking the test, he decided to prepare for next year. He figured that if he gave it attention most days, it would help. So, that's when we purchased the Barron's book.

M-F I spend 10 minutes a day reading the book with him. Now, here's something I didn't expect. This book has the feel of a living book to me! It feels personal, reassuring, truthful, and doable. Sure its a monster of a book BUT broken down, it really is doable.

Right now we're working through the Critical Reading. During this time we read and work together. I put a square around vocabulary he doesn't know and later he adds it to his vocabulary.com account. I correct any tests he takes, too. Then he works on this for another 10-20 minutes a day.

My dh will take over when we get to the math section .

I didn't help my oldest dd at all to prepare for the PSAT. But she was/is an avid reader so she did well on the PSAT with little effort...except for the math. That's when she decided to put more time into math. In the end she did well enough to get her where she wanted to go.

I would really encourage most students and their parents to face the challenge of PSAT/SAT prep with confidence! Play off of your strengths! My oldest preferred to work on her own. My ds enjoys working together. My oldest is a language arts gal (Journalism major now). My ds is...a baseball player . OK, he's also a hard worker and pretty humble about his academic abilities. Don't buy into the stress and frenzy that can surround these tests. Preparing doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing....and it CAN be a (mostly) pleasant learning experience.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angie Mc wrote:
Don't buy into the stress and frenzy that can surround these tests. Preparing doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing....and it CAN be a (mostly) pleasant learning experience.

I totally agree with this statement!   

It is a really approachable test, and preparing for it is entirely workable without being stressful. Like Angie, we found ways that worked for us in terms of preparing. Though standardized tests are...well....standardized, preparing for them can be very individual and preparing in the home is really ideal for cutting through some of the stress that surrounds test prep in other ways. Sounds like we both used/are using the Barron's book, and I would agree with Angie that it is a very approachable and workable book, too, much like the test. It's easy to work with.

Sarah didn't have to take the test this year, but chose to take the PSAT for the practice. Sarah is in the 10th grade this year, so she'll take the SAT next year for her junior year.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We are going with the pre-test (pre-ACT's PLAN test and the equivalent Pre-PSAT, whatever it is called) approach this time around.

My son used the College Board SAT prep book (successfully, for the most part) but his big issue was the testing facility and process, not the academics. For dd, we're doing one pre-test this year (we did one last year), a practice PSAT when she is a sophomore, and then the PSAT and either SAT or ACT when she is a junior.

She will need more essay prep, I think, but since many colleges don't worry about that score, I'm thinking that we won't, either, except as the essay relates to general expository writing at the high school level.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

guitarnan wrote:

... his big issue was the testing facility and process, not the academics. ...

She will need more essay prep, I think, but since many colleges don't worry about that score, I'm thinking that we won't, either, except as the essay relates to general expository writing at the high school level.

Exactly. My ds will being taking it at the same school (where he plays baseball) each time. This definitely reduces stress for him.

And the essay...my dd did well on it...all to no credit because her school didn't look at it. My ds will be happy to find a school that doesn't as well .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We are finding that many schools don't look at the essay.

This is not a surprise, given the difficulty of standardizing the grading of an essay in which the writer has to take a position and defend it.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that longer essays tend to score higher, too. (For what that's worth!)

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2011 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

One resource we have used here is the SAT Question of the Day. We actually have it delivered to our inboxes...I signed up for this when I first registered my daughter for the PSAT a few years ago. It is a painless way to practice test-taking and to be exposed to the vocabulary and math formulas required for the test. Fun, too!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2011 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

I took the SAT as a home-schooled USAF brat living overseas. Now, granted, I had been public schooled until we moved overseas and was intimately familiar with standardized tests. They offered no SAT prep classes that I remember, though. There was a book that the local DODDs office lent me, I believe it was a Barron's one like Jen/Mackfam recommended. I was left to my own devices as far as studying went.

I remember spending a lot of time doing the practice tests in the books and making flash cards of Latin roots as prefixes and suffixes. In the end I got a 1310 on the SAT, so above average but not CRAZY GOOD. I remember going in feeling very well prepared, especially because of all the root word flashcards.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 27 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Bumping this to add that my ds and I are also reading together, Boot Camp for Your Brain which I first mentioned here.

Love,

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version