Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: So he wants to study philosophy....... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Yes, my oldest ds does love philosophy. He also loves theology and history, just a regular liberal arts kind of guy. I am so torn, because this is his passion and he isn’t sure what he wants to do other than go onto grad school and possibly teach. He is also discerning a vocation. So, with all of the talk about getting out of school with low or no college debt.....how does that work when so many of the local colleges and less expensive ones aren’t necessarily the best for formation and faithful instruction? It would be different in some ways if he was going into engineering. We were looking at a state college where he has a very good chance of getting a terrific scholarship...but the philosophy department has “ancient philosophy” and skips right over that inconvenient guy, Aquinas, and moves onto the “modern philosophy.” I find that disturbing. BUT, this same college has a most amazing Catholic parish right on campus, with an amazing Jesuit who takes the kids to DC for the March for Life....and offers Mass every day with Confession, Adoration throughout the week, Gregorian Chant with the Sunday Masses...and he is all about scholarly formation in their Faith while at college. I was so, so impressed. I wonder in this situation do you go for broke and shoot for the stars, and take out loans....or do you go low key, and not incur debt, but not the best formation as well? Maybe I should ponder less and pray more??

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I'm not a personal fan of incurring massive college debt, especially if grad school might factor in (or a vocation, because you usually have to have your debts paid off)...but it sounds as though your son might have to apply to more than one school and see how the financial aid part works out before he can decide. I think it's great that there's a wonderful Catholic parish on campus at the state school, but it might also be worth talking to professors there to make sure your son's interest in Catholic philosophy would work with their program. If everything's ultra-(what? modern? anti-Aquinas?), that might be a deal-breaker...or it might not.

And, remember, in any case, for something like philosophy, many schools' bachelor's degree programs have a lot of overview/survey courses, a few seminars...and the place where you specialize in a particular area is, well, grad school.

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Yes, debt scares me half to death.....but so does him going to a school where he might be so challenged on all that he holds dear, it is an exercise in futility. It might not be so black and white like I just painted it, but it is a tricky one, no doubt.

Yes, he is going this Saturday for a full ride scholarship essay contest to the state school, and a lot of the profs will be there at an academic fair. It will be interesting to talk to them. We are having him apply to all sorts of schools, and then his options are open.

Thanks, Nancy!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

My dd is off to the only Catholic Liberal Arts college next year and I confess my biggest concern is the debt she will incur!

On the plus side she will be studying philosophy, theology, history and literature. Another major plus for us is she will be around Catholic peers, considering my children are the only ones in their late teens in our Parish this is a major attraction.

Praying for your son's and your discernment.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version