Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Humbling - Plan B Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 29 2011 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

The "best" is so often the enemy of what is good enough...I learned this humbling lesson this afternoon. After amassing a bunch of chemistry equipment, stressing about books and such, I tried to do some experiments with a bunch of kids today! Oh my!! I am now onto plan B- which may not be THE BEST but it will be good enough for us

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I'm always on plan B!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2011 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Thanks Maryan!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 01 2011 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Kristie, I needed your sisterhood today! Maryan, just a few days ago I cried (literally) to my dh, "I'm ALWAYS on plan B!" I felt so defeated.

Praise God, dh was able to talk me down...up? Here's what I gained from regrouping:

I love plan A because it is mine. Since plan B isn't mine, it is God's! By doing plan B, I'm showing God that I trust him. In plan B I'm likely to be cooperating with God and others, softening my will. How I react shows my true colors, tests my fears, and pushes my comfort zones. Plan B, by its nature, tend to be more humane, reasonable, practical, and real. Plan B doesn't need to be perceived as less than plan A, just different or more fitting.

Kristie, do you mind if I add "Plan B" to your subject line? I'll need to come back to this topic often, making the search easier . I really need to not be so attached to plan A.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2011 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Kristie - I so agree. The problem is when there is this beautifully researched and typed up and organized plan A - all purchased and wrapped up and just picture perfect. The big temptation is to try and bend the children to the plan (ie traditional school policy)

You are right - it is so humbling to have to go back to the drawing board and plan again.

But I keep thinking about Psalm 127v1 - Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2011 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Hey that's a great perspective!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2011 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Maryan wrote:
Hey that's a great perspective!

Wow! Thanks ladies, that's so helpful for where I am right now!

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2011 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Thank-you for the perspective....for myself, I notice that the more I search online the more Plan A is NOT going to fit my kids (and the more unhappy I will be!!)

Thank-you for the encouragement.

A Walk in the Woods

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 03 2011 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

This is so perfect! Just today I was thinking about Plan A, Plan B, and the fact that I'm often on C, D or G by the end of the day or semester. Plan B or C is expected in a way...I raise the white flag and go with the flow. The kids have been struggling with this lately, though. Maybe it's because so often they only see the "end product" or only have pieces of the plan affect them...Lately they've been more impacted and involved in the changes and it hasn't been easy. They want to know the plan. They don't want it to change. I realized today that this is an opportunity to discuss that we are human, we have lots of people going different directions, lots of individual and group needs within our family and our community. We have to take all of that into account and, yes, all too often that means Plan A won't happen. We have to be gentle on ourselves and on others. That's a theme I'm trying to more deeply learn too. So I'm trying to process all of this more and use the teaching moments as they come. It *is* humbling and requires trust in God. Thanks for sharing! Ya'll have really helped me.   

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2011 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Oh my, I needed to read this.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 08 2011 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Yes!!! We just went through this with my daughter and chemistry. I'm beginning my 6th month of a very high risk pregnancy with lots of doctor appointment, my dh is traveling for work more than ever, and we live with my parents when he's gone since I can't drive. But still my dh insisted that my daughter needed to do chemistry.

He was home for 3 days last week and witnessed that she is really struggling, not getting it, and not enjoying it at all. It consumes way too much of her day as well, just when I need her help the most!

So, we spoke with a wonderful couple at church who really reminded us of the goals of homeschooling: diligence, love the Lord, love your family, and love learning. If chemistry was not a requirement for graduation (which it isn't for her) and it is not her bent, then it may not being Christ's yoke we are wearing but a man made one that will never fit. So, we are now putting together a high school class on Botany, incorporating gardening, photography, nature journaling, and herbs/herbal medicine. She is so excited that she wants to spend all day, every day working on it. We have a few gardening books already and she is learning alot and already helping my husband with our flower bed garden. And to think of how useful this information will be to her some day as a mother!! The joy is back.

Our friend reminded us that it is more valuable for the kids to have witnessed this process of us seeing their struggles, seeking counsel, praying, and making changes, than forcing our yoke on them. Seeing the process is more valuable than seeing perfection.

That is SUCH a great Scripture also that was mentioned, "Unless the Lord build the house, the laborers labor in vain."

I pray the Lord lead you to His yoke for your schooling and bring the joy back. I do wholeheartedly agree that the more I look around online, the more I get steered the wrong way trying to make my homeschool like somebody else's (though it may very well be great). I do better considering our circumstances & resources & children's interests, and seeking the Lord with them as well as seeking my husband.

May God bless your search!!
Betty

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2011 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

AnaB wrote:
   I do wholeheartedly agree that the more I look around online, the more I get steered the wrong way trying to make my homeschool like somebody else's (though it may very well be great). I do better considering our circumstances & resources & children's interests, and seeking the Lord with them as well as seeking my husband.

Wonderfully expressed!

Someone asked me how I know when it is time to move to plan B. I have thought about it and this is what we do when plan A is not working:

1. Is it due to me - do I focus enough on the plan, am I distracted, am I diligent with making it work? Do I need to change my schedule/habits/organization to make this work

2. Is it not working because of the child - is there an issue with obedience/respect/focus/diligence/laziness which needs to be resolved so that the plan will work

3. Is the plan just not right - either for me as a teacher of many children, or my children and their learning styles and interests?

4. Am I adhering to this plan just because of the "norms of society"

There are so many choices and options - and we have to pray so hard to find the right way for our families. I also believe that when plan A does not work it is God's way of turning us to Him, of making us get down on our knees. It is so easy to develop pride - look on all our beautiful lesson plans and organization and think that we are in control and able to handle everything. Moving to plan B is humbling, yes - but humility is the way to sanctity.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version