Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: where did summer go? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 20 2011 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

Well, we start back gradually this coming Thursday. I'm doing a few days of our state's history as a group "camp" to get us back into things before we do a regular schedule.

Anyways, I'm looking for a little support as I don't even feel like I've had a summer/vacation. Last summer was very busy with a new baby and I thought this summer would be full of more playing and enjoying free time with each other. Instead between our big garden and all that goes with that, house cleaning, cooking, and preparing for school I rarely got to just have fun with the kids. I am very upset.

The older 2 have gotten on a whole new schedule sleeping late that by the time they finally were up it was nap time for the baby and then lunch. The afternoons here have been so hot this year and without air conditioning no one felt like doing much of anything between lunch and supper. Then we had soccer in the evenings.

Now, here I sit looking at fall harvest time, school starting, and just not sure how I'm going to cope. I've been crazy busy without school and now what? Maybe getting everyone back to a normal schedule will help; but, I just feel like the whole summer was wasted. I'm so sad right now. I just want to enjoy time with everyone and it feels like I'll I'm doing is hurrying from job to job to try to squeeze in some break time to have fun and then that little slice is replaced with some thing else that comes up. ugh

Advice?

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2011 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Not too much advice here, except a mother's heart filled with much empathy! Summer has flown like the wind here, too, with far too much focus on chores, daily life, jobs away from home and helping extended family.

One idea is to take a single day for a family picnic (maybe at a state park) before you transition to studies. We always make picnics as simple as possible, rather than all the homemade foods one usually imagines, making sure the picnic doesn't become just more work piled on to the neverending list.

Praying your upcoming year is grace-filled and that each moment is filled with renewed joy in the blessed life God has given your family. Even chores and neverending work can be made more pleasant when we remember what a gift it is to simply be sharing it all in the company of those we love and cherish!

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2011 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote Aagot

I sure would like to know the solution to this as well, Jackie! I feel like a drill sergant with the chores and when they are done I need a nap. Then it is time to make dinner.

Is there any way you can take every Wednesday off? Get all the chores and school work done m,t, th and f, put on a crock pot dinner and then take off for a hike and picnic. After an early dinner, play board games or read stories. The reason I mention Wednesday is because we take off Friday and I just end up cleaning for the weekend!

Another idea is to make every other weekend (or just one day) a mini "vacation". Nothing else can be planned for that weekend, no big chores or to do lists, no outside commitments, just have fun with the kids.

How about not starting school until the harvest is in?

Sorry, wish I had the magic solution. At least you see you aren't alone

Aagot
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 20 2011 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I think sometimes our expectations are our worst enemy. When things don't go the way we expect we feel cheated. But we may be missing all the good things that do happen by letting the disappointment from the expections rob us of them.

I think the ladies have mentioned some really good ideas. And don't forget the simply family game night or read alouds before bed.

And instead of expecting that more family time will happen. Do as they said and plan for it and make it happen as a priority instead of "once everything else is done".

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2011 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote juliana147

I am going to have to think and pray about the wonderful ideas here. I especially like the picnic idea, Servant. I used to start the year that way, but it's been a while.

Jackie, I am also feeling as though summer has flown by. I'm also acutely aware this year that my children are older, and I want to make the most of our time together. (Maybe this should be in the "40+" section of the board! ).

Now that summer is winding down, I think I am going to focus on celebrating fall, instead. School is starting up again, but it's an exciting transitional year, it's going to be cooler, and maybe we can spend more evenings outside. It's time for me to think about new rituals to nourish everyone in my family. In fact, I think that will be my prayer and goal for the week. I'll keep your family in that prayer, too.

Back to Top View juliana147's Profile Search for other posts by juliana147

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version