Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: So sad, so frustrating Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

We have had ongoing moisture issues in our basement, but I didn't think too bad. I was so wrong! Today I pulled out my boxes of school books and supplies. Over 75% of the books are ruined. They are covered in icky icky mold. All the paper and file folders I scored at a going out of business sale are now in the trash    

I don't know what I am going to do now. I have no plan for the coming school. Money is very tight right now and I was so happy that I didn't have to buy anything at this time. Sigh

I would appreciate help brainstorming a low cost plan for a 12 year old girl and a 7 year old boy.

We don't live in a library district, but can buy a card for $375 for the year. I was planning on doing that, but now might need to spend the money on curricula. So flustered and frustrated!

I had built shelves so the boxes were off the floor when water comes in. I didn't think that the moisture in the air would be enough to ruin the books in Rubbermaid containers.   

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Oh My LeeAnn! I can't imagine how frustrated you are. My chest is tight just thinking of all that you lost. I don't have any advice, but you are in my prayers.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Devastating for you LeeAnn. I'm praying that somehow it will all come together for you and your children.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I am so sorry to hear about that. I can't even imagine. I will pray for you!

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh no!

there's some threads ( like this one ) on low cost/free ideas, curricula, etc Maybe something there would help you brainstorm a plan

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

This is exactly the thread I was going to quickly come link for you:
JodieLyn wrote:
there's some threads ( like this one ) on low cost/free ideas, curricula, etc

....beyond that....

I would not chunk anything just yet. Not books anyway. You might be able to clean them and remove the mold. Here's a website that offers some ideas for cleaning books with mold. I'm sure there might be others.

So....let's assume that 75% books are a loss. Let's start with what you have. What do you have? What's left of the 25%? Anything else upstairs?

Have you ever considered ebooks? It could be a good option for this year. Here is another really great thread linking some great free ebook ideas.

Between that first thread Jodie linked and the free ebooks you can either print or read on your computer or digital ereader (if you have one)....I think that could be a really good start! Take a look at those two threads and see if you can come back and tell us where the holes are. Maybe we can brainstorm some creative ideas or ways to fill in those holes!

What an awful thing to discover just when you thought you had all your tools tucked away!! We can help you figure this out though!!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

10 Rubbermaid containers of books and 2 of supplies!

There is a dehumidifier in the basement and a big fan. We don't have central air though and it has been a hot humid summer in northern IL. All my pipes in the basement are drip, drip, dripping with condensation. The water comes out of the well at 40* and hits the warm air in the house. Ick!

I have spent the day cleaning. And still have hours of work to do. I was given a large industrial dehumidifier today by a friend who is a retired HVAC dealer. I am hoping that will be able to get a handle on the moisture.

I am very allergic to mold and really not feeling physically well added to my heart ache.

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

I do use ebooks, and we have a Nook and a cheapy ereader.

I would say over 90% of our books were in storage in the basement. We have been working all summer on household projects and I packed up everything we weren't actively using.

I know books can be cleaned. But I am very allergic to mold. I wore a mask and gloves all day, but I am all blotchy and wheezing. I have been hitting the inhaler all day and called my dr for inhaled steroids. Saving books but ending up in the ER for breathing treatments would be a net loss

Its not only the books. The Thomas track, the wooden blocks, all my craft supplies, my fabric stash, seasonal decorations, everything is speckled to coated with mold I have buckets on the deck with stuff soaking in Lysol cleaner.

I am just so very weary right now. I don't even know where to start. I have stopped for the day, but I have hours of work still to go.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

up your vitamin C too.. that can help reduce the allergic reaction.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

MrsM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote MrsM

What were you planning on using that is now ruined? Like many who have been homeschooling for a while, I have built up quite a curriculum reserve that I would be happy to share with you.   If you are willing, I need to know what you need and see if I have something here that might meet that need.

Mom to darling Elizabeth and Francis, held in Mary's arms and always in my heart
Back to Top View MrsM's Profile Search for other posts by MrsM

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

What Lynn said. Maybe I have something you could use?

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Oh, LeeAnn!!! What a cross to bear! Praying for your health and your sanity as you deal with clean up and revision of all your plans. I am sorry I have no advice to give.   

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Maybe you could post a list of the things you were going to use. Maybe between all of us we can restock at least the immediate needs. It won't recover the loss but maybe it will help a little.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 1:52am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Hear hear! I know I've got some things on my shelves I could part with. Meanwhile, I was going to suggest free ebooks, too, and also the Baldwin Project -- most of what my 7, 9, and 13yos are doing this year I'm pulling together from those sources. There's also free lapbooking via That Resource Site and, if you just need some kind of spine curriculum for the 7yo, you might consider Head of the Class as a kind of go-to, supplemented with literature.

Sending up a prayer for you right now.

Sally

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

LeeAnn, before you pitch the damaged books, can you take pictures of everything and/or get an estimate from homeowners insurance? This might be a covered loss. Might be worth pursuing, especially because of the cost of replacing so many books. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with such an ordeal. Praying for peace of heart, mind and soul, and smooth resolution to the problem.

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote juliana147

LeeAnn, I am so very sorry!!!      That is just terrible. I just wanted to say that if you are noticing your mold allergy affecting you that way, it is not unreasonable to ask another family member who is not allergic to take over the cleaning for you. Please take care of yourself. It isn't worth being sick.

praying, with much empathy...
-juliana
Back to Top View juliana147's Profile Search for other posts by juliana147

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Thank you Juliana. Unfortunately, my teens are even more allergic than I am. They are just dragging the bags up the stairs and are blotchy. My dh is traveling for work all week. I do have 2 friends coming over to help this afternoon. It seems the more I move the more mold I find. I am tempted to gut the basement down to concrete walls.

Servant, thank you for the idea. I did call the insurance, and mold damage isn't covered. I am going to go over my policy when I have time though to see if it actually states that in the policy. It is definitely "property damage"!

Thank you for the generous offers!
Once I get my head on straight, I will list my plan.

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote juliana147

Oh, LeeAnn, I'm so glad you have help coming. I know I had a publication bookmarked on my old computer about mold cleanup (it's out of commission right now due to a virus! ). I think it was from the CDC, you might be able to search and find it. Anyway, if it is that bad, you probably do need some outside help. I know the CDC recommended wearing a respirator. It sounds over-the-top, but if you are allergic, you should definitely take precautions.

I'm sending you a pm...
-Juliana
Back to Top View juliana147's Profile Search for other posts by juliana147

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I am so sorry to read this, LeeAnn. What a terrible loss.

I also have a surplus of books.. I will be watching for your list!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Definately look over your policy.. and resubmit it if denied at least once. I've heard that some places just deny as a matter of course the first time you submit a claim. You have to be persistent.

-Sir Walter Scott

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version