Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: How to grade Teaching Company course Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 02 2011 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

I am so excited that my library has An Introduction to Astronomy from the Teaching Company and plan on using it for my 10th grader. Question--how would you grade this...I have 6 littles under my 15 year old so will not be watching every 30 minute lecture with him. Should I ask him to take notes and narrate every week? Is that enough or do I need to test too? Any suggestions?

Laura
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 02 2011 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Hi Laura, grading here has been credit given for time invested plus discussion...but we didn't use TC for the sciences (other that the Joy of Science - no labs.)

Right now I'm considering what is best for my incoming sophomore. I'm leaning toward having him practice note-taking during the lectures. I need to track down our TC All Star Student DVDs.

Looking forward to hearing other ideas.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I love TC courses for the note-taking practice. As far as grading goes, I think I'd have him write a paper, or do some other kind of research project, which uses something from the lectures as a topic. You could scan the list of lecture titles and make him a list of topics. If he's doing written narrations (I'd have at least one weekly), those could form a weekly grade, while a larger written topic, or presentation, or project of some kind, would be like an exam grade.

Otherwise, like Angie, we just grade on the basis of time invested and subject discussed.

Sally

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 02 2011 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

You might be able to find labs he can do in a book from your public library. (Search for "experiments" and "astronomy" as well as "labs" and "astronomy.")

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 04 2011 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

Thanks for the ideas--not sure if I will make this a semester or year long course, but I like the ideas of practicing notetaking. My ds likes to do this on his laptop--is this the wave of the future (seems like more and more college students are requiring laptops)or do you think I should still require pencil and paper notes?

Laura
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2011 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Pencil and paper notes sure don't hurt -- seems to be becoming a lost art. My husband is a college prof, and every day he looks out over a sea of laptops. And people aren't always taking notes, either! Hmm, here we are in Facebook 101 . . . again . . .

One kid who was flunking his intro to theology class actually turned his grade around by shutting off the computer and taking notes by hand. The tappy-tapping that he had been doing (when he was paying attention at all) was so automatic that even when he took down something my husband said, it didn't register in his brain.

Sally

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version