Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Great article on homeschooling Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 23 2011 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

One of my friends posted this article on her facebook page. It is such a great description of how I want my homeschool to be. Really, if you are living out a CM lifestyle, this is probably how it will turn out. It honestly gives me hope that homeschooling doesn't have to be stressful and overly difficult. As a person who was raised in the public school system, it is sometimes really hard to shake off the feeling that I need to replicate it in my home. Isn't that what we are all trying to avoid?

I feel much better now about my choices. We are doing Earth and Space science because DS5 has a passion for it. Our nature study is almost completely about bugs since that is what both of the kids are into right now (although the giant 5 foot garter snake in our garage yesterday provided an interesting change of pace). I now feel free to pursue these things more in depth because we are all learning together. I don't think that my kids will EVER forget that an earthworm has 5 hearts because they found some earthworms, got excited about it and we researched and notebooked it. If we just read about it in a textbook, it would have been forgotten in days. I am sure that I learned that at some point, too.

As a newbie starting out, I really appreciate articles like this and the support I get on here to just help me to chill out and just enjoy the process. I am so blessed to have my children at home. This is where God wants them to be and he will give us all the grace to come out well educated at the end of our time together!

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2011 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Enjoyed the article Some great points, I especially enjoyed the very family friendly approach to learning regardless of age differences. You are right, this is big for us too. I love to see how each child takes what they need from what we are learning.

Thanks for sharing.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Unscripted_mom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 23 2011 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote Unscripted_mom

Loved it! Lots of food for thought!
Back to Top View Unscripted_mom's Profile Search for other posts by Unscripted_mom

rcarter
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 24 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote rcarter

Excellent article! How many times this past year have I closed my eyes and thought, "HOW am I supposed to teach 3 kids at the same time, AND keep the 2 younger ones happy, quiet, and out of mischief??" If only I could bi-locate and be an octopus at the same time! Thanks for sharing the article!
Back to Top View rcarter's Profile Search for other posts by rcarter

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2011 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote mariB

Loved this article!

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2011 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

That is a great article. I really believe that public education would be served best if it went back to a one-room schoolhouse model.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

herdingkittens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 27 2011 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote herdingkittens

Amen!   I always love it when I read something and think, "Hey! Someone else does it the same way!" In my ignorance, I was doing a CM education with the children, not knowing that there was a name for it!      What a joy to realize that someone had already figured it out! And even more exciting that someone (C. Mason) had REALLY thought it through!      

This article made me fall in love yet again with guiding my littles!!

amy soper
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 28 2011 at 5:12am | IP Logged Quote amy soper

Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed that!

www.amy-freshvintage.blogspot.com
Back to Top View amy soper's Profile Search for other posts by amy soper

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2011 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Thanks for the article!

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

Dove
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 28 2011 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote Dove

EXCELLENT article. Thank you for passing it on to this forum because I might never have run across it on my own and it is much better that anything else I've ever seen in a single place.

That is very much how my older kids were taught and how I hope to teach my younger ones.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version