Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: educational assessment Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 11 2011 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

How do you know when it's neccessary? One of the downsides to HS'ing is a lack of experience in what's developmentally appropriate or "normal" in terms of acquisition of reading skills.
I'm not even sure where I would get info on having the tests performed.
DD (10 in July) has been struggling with reading. I originally chalked alot of her difficulties to her temperament coupled with some family stresses that have since been minimized. She's def. improved, but I have some uncertainlty about whether her needs are being met with the methods I'm using.
She's able to read books like the American Girl books, but reading 2 pages of one of them a night tuckers her out. She does NO pleasure reading at all, although she loves audio books.
She seems to have sporadic reversals in letter placement when she's reading, or maybe "seeing" the letters out of order? She also still reverses her numbers quite a bit. My son did that till he was about 11 or so, but it seemed to be on a lesser scale, and he didn't have any reading issues coupled with it. The combo of the reading and math reversals concern me.
I've heard quite a bit about various visual difficulties that could lead to learning problems. Are those the types of things that could be diagnosed by a regular pediatric opthamologist, or would I need to see a behavioral optometrist directly.
Or would an educational assessment look for those types of issues as well? Who even does educational assessments? How does one find those people?
I'm not sure if this is even coherent...I'm having a hard time putting my concerns down on "paper." My daughter is a bright sweet girl, but her struggling is discouraging her. I want to find out all I can to help her before it's "too late" and longer term damage is done.
Thanks in advance for any help.
So I guess my questions are,

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 12 2011 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

This sounds like my dd, who will be 1 in June. She is mildly dyslexic. My dh and our oldest ds are also dyslexic, so over time, I have become more accustomed to teaching to this "learning style".

You could certainly have your dd assessed. After going through the assessment process with our ds, I chose not to go through it again with dd because in the end (and our ds was in public school at the time) it did not effect his schooling (the p.s. did basically nothing for him). We ended up pulling him out of school and homeschooling him, and it was the best decision we ever made. You are already beginning from that point, so you are ahead of where we were with our oldest!

Over the years I have found that when working with a child who has issues like what you describe, it is best to use as much multi-sensory learning materials as possible. All About Spelling would probably work very well for your dd as a phonics (and really reading) program. It can be time consuming, but it is based on the Orton-Gillingham method which has a proven track record of success for dyslexics.

My dd also does not like to read, but she is improving in that area. Initially, I had her read books that I knew were easy for her in order to build her confidence. I worked her up from there to more difficult books. She is still not the strongest reader in the world, but she has made a lot of improvement in that area. Also, try to find books and other things that you dd enjoys, because if it is a topic she is interested in, she will be motivated to read the book about it. This may mean regular (once a week) trips to the library, just to let her browse the bookshelves for interesting books. That can help immensely.

Finally, the need for repetition cannot be underestimated. I found that my ds and dd required more repetition than other kids in order to really comprehend something, such as phonics rules, math facts, etc. If you can make it "hands-on" so much the better. Right now, I am trying to get the materials together for my dd to make lap books for her math facts, because she struggles to remember them and I am thinking that the multi-sensory approach to making the lap book, opening the fold, turning the pages, etc., will probably help her to comprehend them and remember them!

Do not be discouraged. As your dd gets older and matures, with your guidance, her skills in reading will improve. I almost forgot to mention - I found Laura Berquist's Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum and Teaching Tips Across the Classical Curriculum to be very helpful in helping me to understand what the "average" child should be able to accomplish at different levels of school. Even if you don't use her curriculum, I found her insight to be truly irreplaceable.

One last note: My ds, who struggled mightily to learn to read, will graduate from high school this year. He has been cross-registered with the local community college since 11th grade (in addition to homeschooling) and has earned 18 college credits and an invitation to join the national junior college honor society as a result of his consistent 4.0 average! I share this with you in order to encourage you that you can do it and so can your dd!

I will keep you in my prayers!

Edited to add - books on tape can be very helpful - I often had my ds and dd listen to the book on tape and/or watch the movie (if I can find one that is well done) in conjunction with reading the book, because it aids their comprehension of the material. The more multi-sensory kind of work you can add in, the better. My ds still uses this method even for college level work.

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version