Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Five in a Row & first language lessons Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BethHG
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 04 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote BethHG

Has anyone here used this in the third grade? I have been using this with my second grader this year, and I was thinking of doing it with him next year too. I will have only finished volume one though. Has anyone here used it beyond Kindergarten? Should I just get volume 4 , or should I go through some of volume 2 and 3 first?

I am also think of using First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease, and I am not sure where I should began with him. Right now he is doing Language of God A. I like the thought of dictation and narration.

This is what I know that I am going to do for sure:

Right start Math
All About Spelling
CHC handwriting
Artistic Pursuits

Debating FIAR and FLL and WWE.

Any input would be appreciated. This is my 3rd child, but my older ones are 5 and 6 years older, and hated FIAR. So, I feel like I am starting all over again.

BethHG
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 05 2011 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote BethHG

I found samples on Susan Bauer's website for both WWE and 1st language lessons, and I feel that he would be on level 2. Also, my son said that he likes FIAR, so we are continuing on with that. I also like that we can have read alongs to go more in depth for studies along the way.

So, we are going to use FIAR, Writing With Ease level 2, 1st language lessons level 2, Rightstart Math D, All About Spelling 1, and Artistic Pursuits K-3, book 1.

Thanks for looking. I really try to figure out curriculum choices late at night.

Beth

Beth

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 06 2011 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

It would be possible to start him in FLL 3 if you wanted. It recaps what was learnt in the previous levels. It does then go into diagramming though which if you don't feel your son is ready for then level 2 should be a nice gentle beginning into FLL.

Artistic pursuits is great, I recommend it.

We are about to get All About Spelling 1 too. We currently use an equivalent, but after reading AAS samples I felt it presents the same idea's in a way that will be better for us. I know the letter tiles will really appeal to my dd who is just starting spelling.
I just tested my eldest dd who is in year 5 for IEW's Phonetic Zoo and she achieved year 6 level. She was able to spell words from their test list that she's never come across before and I believe it's thanks to this style of teaching spelling.

Looks like you've got a good lot of stuff together here, hope it makes for an enjoyable year!

BethHG
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 06 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote BethHG

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version