Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: How do you choose? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sara
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 29 2011 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote Sara

My oldest is about to turn 4 so I am just starting to research all I can about homeschooling. As I read about different educational philosophies, I find that I have gut reactions. When I read Charlotte Mason, my heart soars. When I read Classical method, I feel motivated. When I read Montessori, I feel like I am going to have a panic attack. I am hoping I do not offend anyone by saying that. I think it is my personality - I tend to get overwhelmed by details. Is this how you start out choosing what to do with your children? Do you force yourself out of your comfort zone? Is it alright to avoid Montessori because of my personality? I just read Mommy, Teach Me, and as I look at my almost 4-year-old, I think she might benefit from some of these activities. She seems to be going through what my husband refers to as a "floppy stage." But when I think of planning these activities, I just feel overwhelmed. On the other hand, I can easily spend at least an hour a day reading to her. And the Montessori "sensitive periods" idea seems to contradict the Charlotte Mason idea of postponing formal lessons in the early years. I know I am kind rambling, but I am just trying to solidify all these ideas in my head before I move forward. So, how did you choose? Was is trial and error? Does it change with each child? I also have an almost 3 year-old, a one year old, and I am pregnant. I find that when I am pregnant, I get overwhelmed easily.

Thanks so much for your help! I really enjoy reading this forum.

Sara
Back to Top View Sara's Profile Search for other posts by Sara

Nat B
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 29 2011 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote Nat B

Hi Sara. I completely understand how you feel - I love the sound of many different styles of homeschooling, but over the last four years, I have just found ourselves becoming more and more unschooly. It just seems to work for our family at the moment. It is possible to take the bits that you like out of each method and make it your own.
You mentioned that you could easily spend an hour a day reading to your children - I personally think this is the best thing you could do for them, especially at these ages. If you plan to do this each day, you can rest assured your children have already had many of their needs met and will be learning (even though you may not see much evidence of it yet).
And go easy on yourself - pregnancy can be exhausting and, as you mentioned, overwhelming.

Trusting God Each Day
Back to Top View Nat B's Profile Search for other posts by Nat B Visit Nat B's Homepage

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2011 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

I just started experimenting with different ideas. When my oldest was preschool age, we used Montessori ideas but not in a pure sense. I just provided materials to help her with basic skills - latch boards, rice to play with (pouring, scooping, etc.), cotton balls to spoon, etc. My boys love taking washers and nuts on/off bolts. I didn't set them down at the table for a "lesson", it was more just playtime activities. I do love the Montessori Red Letter and Blue Number books. The kids read them over and over.

When my oldest started first grade last Fall, I just researched and chose what I was comfortable with doing at the time (after reading, reading, reading and browsing forums for specific curriculum options). I picked a few things and went with it, but tweaked as we went along. Now that I am entering into the planning for 2nd grade I have a better grasp as to how my child learns. I'm now integrating more CM styles, whereas I didn't this past Fall. Who knows what my next child will "click" with?

I guess my advice is just to flag things that interest you, experiment with some activities, and just pick something and try it. If it doesn't work, choose something else. Try to buy things used so that you don't spend loads of money curriculum, find things to borrow from other people, and browse other's in-real-life curriculums.

Welcome aboard!   

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2011 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Sara wrote:
So, how did you choose? Was is trial and error? Does it change with each child? Sara

Sara,
It definitely does change...with each child... with each year...for that matter, with each season.

It's a journey! Enjoy!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 30 2011 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

First, a big welcome to you, Sara!!

Sara wrote:
As I read about different educational philosophies, I find that I have gut reactions. When I read Charlotte Mason, my heart soars. When I read Classical method, I feel motivated. When I read Montessori, I feel like I am going to have a panic attack.

This is a great place to start, Sara! You have articulated your impulse instinct very well! I wanted to highlight this statement because this is likely something that you really need to keep in mind as you will begin planning and preparing more in the upcoming years. The above is probably going to be your comfort zone! It's great to have a sense of this so early!! Don't discount the possibility that at some point you may feel called to step outside of your comfort zone to stretch a little for a particular need, but do so carefully and with great consideration.

You mention that you "feel motivated" or you might "feel like you're going to have a panic attack" and I wanted to urge you to look beyond your "feelings" a little more on this. Feelings are important because they can be motivating for us, but they aren't necessarily the bottom line. It could be that Montessori seems overwhelming because there is a learning curve and a lot to consider when implementing....OR....it could be that it just is not INTUITIVE for you. Giving yourself permission to acknowledge that something seems overwhelming on the surface, but you may be drawn to other aspects is a great place to start. Some approaches seem intuitive - they light up the imagination, are sound in their approach, and we're excited to consider them. Other philosophies may seem to be an almost instant "NOT FIT' for our particular family, and that's good to keep in mind. Then, there may be some philosophies that seem to fit in a big fat MAYBE category. Stay with INTUITIVE and allow your logical side to reason with the MAYBE category to further explore it.

Sara wrote:
And the Montessori "sensitive periods" idea seems to contradict the Charlotte Mason idea of postponing formal lessons in the early years.

On the surface, this does seem to be true. I'm going to propose to you that it is possible to mesh these two ideas in the early years as long as your primary philosophy is "For The Children's Sake" Now, please understand that I am NOT trying to convince you of anything on Montessori (again...reminder...stay with what is INTUITIVE for you as you research and read...and this goes for any of my advice!)

We blend these two philosophies in the early years in the home, and I have found that they work together well if a few things are kept in mind.

:: NO pushing on anything academic! (that's Charlotte Mason)
:: I try to meet a child right where they are (that's a little of Montessori's sensitive period idea)
:: Quiet observation of the child which then leads to anticipating a new need or skill level is such an amazing skill as a parent to cultivate!!! (Montessori taught me this)
:: I encourage wonder and observation in the young learner. (this is common to both philosophies)
:: Read, read, read!!! (This would most definitely be Charlotte Mason's influence.)

There are four goals I keep in mind with my children in the early years of their education -->

:: Growing in healthy habits that lay an INTEGRAL foundation to that child's education, and his/her life! --> this is most definitely CM and it is what I consider the most important aspect of early years education. I'm reaping the benefits of good habits formed with a high schooler right now that is almost entirely self-educated (this does not mean I have given up my role in her education at all...just that she is motivated and can exercise the habits of --> I AM, I CAN, I OUGHT, I WILL --> in her days!) Good habits are a blessing, and having benefited from it once, I am even more convinced of its importance.

:: Relationships with ideas and growing the imagination --> through wonderful, rich books ala CM

:: Exploring objects and concrete materials with a sense of wonder --> through many of Montessori's ideas, but CM was a proponent of a prudent and thoughtful use of THINGS (concrete materials and manipulatives) to assist a child in understanding the more *concrete* world around them.

:: Play IS work for the child! --> This helps me relax and probably underwrites some of my unschooly tendencies in the early years.

Hopefully that gives you an idea of how one family (our family) combines a few philosophies, especially ideas from Charlotte Mason's philosophy of education and Montessori's, in the home.

Sara wrote:
So, how did you choose? Was is trial and error? Does it change with each child?

Hmmm...mine is a bit of a twisty path. I wound my way around a bit, though Charlotte Mason's ideas have always been the primary influence. The beginning of home education is really about being gentle on yourself, of finding who you are in this vocation. It requires you to be patient with yourself. You will likely step in some directions that may be mistakes for you - I did! The important thing is to always prayerfully consider what is INTUITIVE for you, and in light of that, to further prayerfully consider when God may be asking you to stretch outside of that a little. Stay close to INTUITIVE and you'll do ok! When/if you find yourself overwhelmed or feeling burnt out...get back to INTUITIVE. Make sense?

I have to tell you that I didn't settle fully until God allowed me to be tested in home education, to be seriously challenged. Under fire, and with the entire sense of my vocation feeling challenged, I learned who I was. I gave myself permission to relax into who I am in this vocation and who our family is. God mercifully allowed everything else to be stripped away. My husband helped me to trust our decisions, and I gained confidence in our ability to work through challenges together, to brainstorm difficulties. At this point, I relaxed into our primary and most INTUITIVE philosophies of education, those that motivate and propel our days.

So, give yourself permission to spend some time (maybe even a few years) figuring a few things out, Sara - your primary teaching style, your ability to address needs for your individual children within that teaching style/philosophy, your ability to brainstorm challenges with your husband...and your ability to relax and trust your decisions.

Hope this is helpful to you, Sara!    I'm so happy you're here! As you navigate some of the early turns in this vocation, I hope you will find this board as I have, a source of ideas, support and encouragement to be yourself as you grow into this vocation of home education!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 30 2011 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Sara wrote:
I tend to get overwhelmed by details.

This is me to a T, Sara. See how smart you are to realize this about yourself ? I didn't figure this out about myself until I was deeper into homeschooling. I've found it helpful for me to focus on my strengths, which include having a big picture and following principles. I need to keep details to a minimum so I look for materials and processes that are efficient, effective, and streamlined; I get lost in fussy. I enjoy organizing and am pretty good at it, in part because I like to corral details so that I don't have to juggle and deal with them constantly. I also depend on the detail-fabulous ladies here for help when I just can't avoid the details .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2011 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

What I did was give myself time after reading through a load of books and then I came up with some broad concepts to consider when actually choosing material. I didn't try to remember everything.

Something to remember when considering Maria Montessori's "sensitive periods" is that she started her work with impoverished children who didn't have much at home and much of her research was in dealing with ways to compensate for this. There is also the fact that in a school much that happens naturally at home will need to be planned for.   

In normal circumstances young children who are in a language rich environment (with lots of reading), are encouraged to try to do things and provided with access to desired materials should be fine with delaying formal lessons.

My main recommendations would be to work out how to allow for 'messy' work (playing with paint, glue, sand, water) and to keep attention grabbers such as TV or computers to a minimum.

Simple things such as training children to put on smocks and wash up afterwards, having both a plastic table cover and a old cloth one (one to protect the table and one to absorb water and which can be thrown in the wash) and having messy materials stored where they are easy for you to take out and put back make messy work much more doable.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 30 2011 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

ekbell wrote:
What I did was give myself time after reading through a load of books and then I came up with some broad concepts to consider when actually choosing material. I didn't try to remember everything.

This is one of the most important points for me. I want to be able to read the ideas and concepts and then back away from it and see what "sticks".. because then rather than just following someone else's ideas, I'm learning to incorporate them into how I think and function.

Sure go back and the things you definately want to use and read the book to figure out how to implement it.. but if you're doing that after having read through and you know which things you definately want.. then it's not near so overwhelming.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2011 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Cay Gibson wrote:
Sara wrote:
So, how did you choose? Was is trial and error? Does it change with each child? Sara

Sara,
It definitely does change...with each child... with each year...for that matter, with each season.

It's a journey! Enjoy!

Ditto that!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Sara
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 30 2011 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote Sara

Thank you for your responses. I am so grateful for this forum!

Mackfam wrote:

Feelings are important because they can be motivating for us, but they aren't necessarily the bottom line.

This is what I am worried about. I don't want to skip a technique that is good for my child because I don't feel like doing it. But I also don't want to push myself too far as that will not be good for my children either. I really like what you said about sticking with what is INTUITIVE.

Angie Mc - I so easily get bogged down in details, but I am not sure if being aware of my weaknesses is helping me. I tend to get excited about a project, take on too much, get overwhelmed, and do nothing. I am trying to prevent this from happening with my children's education. I am expecting more that one false start and reading this forum has made me realize that maybe that is ok.   
Back to Top View Sara's Profile Search for other posts by Sara

Laureen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 01 2011 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote Laureen

Thank you for starting this thread, Sara. I'm planning our 20th year, and it is beneficial to revisit these topics afresh every now and then, not only at the beginning! There is a wealth of information in the honesty and encouragement on this board.

Laureen in Virginia,
Mama to 8, Nana to 5 w/ another due any day and another due in August
Back to Top View Laureen's Profile Search for other posts by Laureen

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2011 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

Sara wrote:
   So, how did you choose? Was is trial and error? Does it change with each child?   
Sara

I started reading about the various philosophies when my oldest was 3. This gave me time to think about which philosophy stuck to my learning style. I was enamored with classical and CM, so we started out this way but my dd wasn't too thrilled with that meld so then it all became trial and error. I have tried every educational philosophy known to man. This isn't the best way to do it but I was able to find out what worked for my kids and what didn't.

We have ended up doing a meld of classical, CM and unit studies. This might be how you end up as well-- a mish mosh of a few different philosophies all squished together.   I think many families do it this way. You don't just have to do one thing. It's okay to meld a few together.   

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 02 2011 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Sara wrote:
Thank you for your responses. I am so grateful for this forum!

Mackfam wrote:

Feelings are important because they can be motivating for us, but they aren't necessarily the bottom line.

This is what I am worried about. I don't want to skip a technique that is good for my child because I don't feel like doing it. But I also don't want to push myself too far as that will not be good for my children either. I really like what you said about sticking with what is INTUITIVE.

Angie Mc - I so easily get bogged down in details, but I am not sure if being aware of my weaknesses is helping me. I tend to get excited about a project, take on too much, get overwhelmed, and do nothing. I am trying to prevent this from happening with my children's education. I am expecting more that one false start and reading this forum has made me realize that maybe that is ok.   

A false start is absolutely okay, but you also don't have to feel overwhelmed. One thing you will see often on these boards is that we have to choose from the good--and there is a lot of good out there that we won't be able to use, and that is okay. Is Montessori good for a child? Absolutely, it is an excellent philosophy and children thrive using it. Is it essential? Probably not, maybe more so if you have a unique child where the traditional methods just aren't working.

I'm not trying to encourage you or dissuade you, but your child would likely thrive witih a variety of approaches whether you use Montessori manipulatives, follow Charlotte Mason's philosophies, do everything like Ruth Beechick tells you, or just find your own way with lots of reading and a vibrant homelife. If you "miss" any of these techniques as you fear, I would not worry that it would be detrimental in anyway.

The early years are a great opportunity to feel out what will work for you. I read a lot when my oldest was a toddler/preschooler. I casually tried to implement some things, and I found that most Montessori things appealed a lot in theory, but it never felt natural to me in practice. I'm sure a lot of that was because it isn't all that intuitive to teach Montessori, the teachers go through a lot of training, and I felt overwhelmed in needing to study so much to implement. However, I do think that knowing the philosophy has helped, and having an idea of the sorts of activities used has helped me, even in little ways. For example, I never used this activitiy formally, but knowing that she had activities for little ones regarding "smell" has made me much more aware of how stimulating this is for littles, and I have remembered to do things like letting them smell spices and things and talking about them briefly as I'm cooking in the kitchen. I'm not sure I would have thought to take that step on my own. Reading so much about the teaching techniques have made me better able to back away and not interfere or "help" my child so much, and I'm glad it is in my arsenal in case Ii feel I *need* it some day, I won't be starting from scratch. This is true of a variety of philosophies and techniques I read about, Montessori is just an example.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2011 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote mariB

I always wondered if I would be doing our children a disservice if I didn't do something schoolish with them if they didn't feel like it.

I would have been convinced a few years ago that this would train the character poorly if the child didn't do the work if he didn't feel like it. My inclination in the past would have been to push him to do it anyway.

I had this very conversation with my 19 year old son yesterday. I said, "Remember when you were homeschooled and you'd work for a couple of hours and get distracted and then I'd ask you how your work is coming along?"

He said, "Yes. And I would say I was doing great for a bit so I thought I'd do something I'd like and lost track of the time."

I said, "Yep. Who would of thought that you'd get up early in the morning and work hard all day until your head hit the pillow just because YOU are driven to?"

Point being, these activites like playing are so very important for this age! I really feel that during these activities that the children do on their own are the moments when they really start to learn who they really are and what they really like to do. When our 19 year old was little, he would be building things inbetween his school lessons. He did this for years.

Mackfam is right when she said, "Playing is work for the child."

OUr 7 year old spends most of her time playing. She does math and reading in a schooly sort of way but it is not everyday..maybe 3 to 4 times a week. We use Math U See and Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. We started her reading book when she was 6 and we are still using it. (We have been using this book for 2 years and she is on lesson 70.) Reading for her just clicked for her last week! We also read tons and tons of books aloud of her choice. I have no lesson plans for her. We read the childrens Bible often and she is preparing to received 1st Holy Communion so we are memorizing Catechism questions out of her St. Joseph First Holy Communion book.

I used to let my 19 year old play A LOT when he was little. Tinker toys, lincoln logs, painting with paint brushes in both hands and got books at the library that HE was interested in!

Yep. I read every philosophy there was out there. Do I still feel insecure at times about the way we school? You bet!

The best advice I could give is to pray, pray, and pray. Go with what EACH day brings you. ( This was hard for me because I like lists and love to have a plan and be regimented.) So when the day throws me a curve ball I often say, "Thy will be done."

One thing that has always been hard for me is that the young child is learning literally every minute of the day. I really try to keep that in mind. Everything in daily life is new to them. Answering those cute little questions they ask are so very important!
Blessings,
Marianne

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

Dove
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 11 2011 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Dove

Sara wrote:
My oldest is about to turn 4 so I am just starting to research all I can about homeschooling. As I read about different educational philosophies, I find that I have gut reactions.

First, trust yourself. Trust your instincts. Trust your reason.

A successful home school can take lots of different forms and what works best is whatever suits both mom's teaching style and the learning styles of her children. Nobody can find that mix as well as you and your husband.

It is really wonderful that you are reading and thinking well in advance of when you need to begin home school with records. Preschool is still school, but it is relaxed and doesn't feel as much like school. But think about it, you already teach.

When you interact with your child and play with your child you are teaching. Part of home school is learning how to recognize what you already do to teach and learning to describe it for your records.

If your heart sings then the method will likely serve you well and if you find that it doesn't then you will change it.

I love what Pope John Paul II said, "Be not afraid" because our cultures in these days seem to want us to be too afraid to do what God has given us as our vocations but if God gives the vocation He gives also the grace to accomplish it.

I hope this is encouraging. I believe with all my heart that parents are the best people to decide the educational path for their children and that it is in all of us to choose well.
Back to Top View Dove's Profile Search for other posts by Dove

luv2bCatholic
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 12 2011 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote luv2bCatholic

Dove:

Your reply here is so beautiful to me! Thank you for your inspiring words.

~Angela
Back to Top View luv2bCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by luv2bCatholic

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 13 2011 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

It's good to know your passions, but more important to understand your personality quirks and how they fit into the picture when it comes to homeschooling. Years ago I had a friend who loved unit studies. She was always talking about them and designing them, but her plans fell flat every time. What she didn't realize was that her general lack of organization hindered her ability to actually carry out the plans. My background is in the sciences and I designed this free test
http://74.65.111.109/mercyacademy/teachingTest.jsp
Other tests designed to help determine your style are also available if you google "teaching style" and test, I just don't have them bookmarked.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2011 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

Sara,

It sounds like you have an inclination to Charlotte Mason and Classical education. And Montessori is overwhelming to you.

So you have a sense of what you like. And for what it's worth, today's Classical and Charlotte Mason are BOTH neo-classical :) So that may be why you are connecting to them.

In a talk Susan Wise Bauer(Well Trained Minds) commented that all of the modern "classical" . She had a funny quip where to be truly classical as it 'used to be', we'd need to acquire slaves to teach, beat the boys and not educate the girls.

So if you create a blend that fits using come 'classical' things and some Charlotte Mason things, you are fine.

They do have some differing opinions in different areas but there is lots in agreement as well.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version