Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: trouble with hs teen Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 31 2006 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I am feeling very frustrated. I feel like I am not giving my children a good education; especially my oldest who is a 10th grader. She is taking a Seton World Literature class and doing terribly. I thought she was a fairly good writer but they don’t think so. She lacks the skills for writing a good 5 paragraph paper. I feel I have failed to give her enough time since I have 6 other children. She is also doing poorly in her biology course, which we both hate. She doesn’t see the point of it and quite frankly, I don’t either. (memorizing a lot of useless facts) She doesn’t seem to know how to study. She also doesn’t want my help with any of it. She says she just gets mad and doesn’t like the way I teach. She wants to take Latin her last 2 years but I don’t think I have the time or patience to do it with her. She has never been a good student for me. She would rather try it herself but that is not working either. I feel like just sending her to school, but that is not an option for us. Plus, she doesn’t want to go to school. I feel way too stretched and I don’t know how to help her. I don’t really live in a good area to find her co-op classes, although I have found someone to teach her math. We have always used CM type methods so its not that she is new to this method of education. Thanks for listening.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 31 2006 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Lisa,

I'm right with you. My son (14) just failed his second math test in a row. He could do the work yesterday, but can't today. I, too, am getting to that famous place called Wits' End!

I don't have much advice for you - prayers, for sure! - but I am waiting anxiously for others' response.

I can understand your sense of frustration. I was a good math student and can't seem to get through to my son that he needs to study and practice math, and memorize HOW to do the problems. I can't do it for him.

I'm giving serious thought to negative reinforcement (no PSP on school days, or even more) because nothing I am trying is working.

Anyone else in our boat?

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2006 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Wow Lisa -- sounds like you have my 14 yod! We have her in Seton this year and she stillhasn't finished 3rd qtr Saxon math. I'm thinking it's Seton and her dislike of having to do dry subject that aren't teacing her anything interesting.

For her 10th grade I'm going to pull her from Seton and CM/unschool/lit unit her. I think she'll enjoy it more adn that's half-way to learning. I don't know if it will work, but it's worht a try. If she's doing what she wants,she's a braniac!

The bottom line is we love'em wheter they do the "good" or not....it sure is frustating though

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2006 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Is it the fact that Seton's World Lit is simply repeating what was in the book? They often mark incorrect if it isn't practically word for word. My dd had a hard time with biology as well (not Seton). It took me insisting that we complete the "course" and not backing down (because it really was required for her goals) before she finally learned some memory techniques.

We had to strike a balance in creating some study skills/coping skills to do what is required with making sure we were not throwing out learning altogether in the process.

I don't know anything about how your child writes, however, I will say that Seton was very harmful to my dd writing style. She became truncated into their formulaic version of how you do introductions and conclusions. The pace of the total 10th grade was, imo, really unrealistic if you were expecting children to do any thinking.

It was the aspect of not thinking that so disturbed my dd. She really hated Seton. Now, doing Kolbe she is having no problem following the course plans in History and theology and doing a paper every week - with research. Somehow, it doesn't bog her down as much as it is real and draws her to think about things - not just parrot. She finds it more respecting of her as an intelligent, thinking human being.

Kolbe now has an option for grading and reviewing papers and you retain all of your independence while benefitting from an outsider giving comments and suggestions. It might be worth looking into - just know that whatever you do, talk to your dd about what is such a struggle and why. What will help her learn? What will support your family best? It might be that you need outside support, as I do. With all my dc and my own limitations, I just really need that help. Look at all your options for support and combine them, if necessary. You don't have to do any one thing exclusively.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2006 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Lisa,

I agree with Mary - enjoying a course is half the battle - is a real learning approach, albeit mostly on her own, an option?

There *are positives in your dd's situation, however - by sticking to her courses and learning what is required and working by herself to overcome, she will be learning many things - perseverence, how to study, how to critique her work, how teachers ans schools and universities (sometimes) operate wrt marking work, that sort of thing.

I don't think you have failed her - I think, in fact, that she may be on a learning and growth and maturty curve.

One of my older sons had a Latin correspondence tutor and at your dd's age. The tutor continually wrote that G did not apply himself. It was an eye opener for G to consider and to persevere through the course. The next year, he did not continue with the Latin - but, in the end, has majored in French and the Classics ( Greek, Latin) at university. I think the negative comments of the tutor helped G mature a bit, in the long term, that is!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version