Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Inspiration Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 21 2011 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

I'm wondering if anyone has this problem? My hubby has no concern what so ever if we do day to day schoolwork. When I am not feeling well, he is just, "Don't worry about it...it will wait for another day.".

It is getting easier and easier to just "Let it go". I need inspiration to get some work done with the kids even though I am receiving little or no encouragement from hubby. What tricks do you use to keep moving forward with the work?

I really love hearing everyones insights and help you have offering me,
Blessings,
Joann
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 21 2011 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Joann

Your husband sounds so supportive of homeschooling

However I know where you are coming from, I remember after a long period of burnout I started asking myself, "How long can I stay in this mode for?" I had to pull myself forward, little step by little step.

So at that stage I started looking at the basics, the 4Rs. If I could achieve something in each of the 4Rs it was a beginning. I don't mean all 4Rs each day, I mean something in each of the 4Rs during the week. If I managed two of the Rs in a day it was a 'flying high day'.

So what tricks? For me I know I had to do it first thing in the morning, straight after breakfast or it wouldn't happen. And I would 'reward' us with a read aloud, when I finally managed to get read alouds happening (small step by small step in fits and starts) we were all much happier. Read alouds in our family is our nurturing medicine.

So begin with 1R a day and ideally 1 nurturing activity.

Also do you have a friend who could be your 'accountability' partner? A friend was going through this at the same time and we would email each other updates each day of what we achieved. It helped to know I had to write something at the end of the day.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 21 2011 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

joann10 wrote:
I need inspiration to get some work done with the kids even though I am receiving little or no encouragement from hubby.

What a dear and wonderful husband you have! I know you know that!!!

I think in his way, your husband probably was being encouraging to you. Here's what I've learned about my husband - he knows me so well: my strengths, weaknesses, needs, wants, hopes, desires. He knows so well where I struggle and is intimately familiar with how I work, where I'm faltering, why I'm faltering, the context, the needs of the family, HIS family. And in knowing all that, sometimes he says to me, "Relax. It's ok to be right here for a bit." Picture me exhaling. Letting go of all the intense emotion I brought to the table, all the concerns, needs, requirements, self-imposed deadlines and struggles.

Relax. It's ok to be right where you are for a bit.

I wanted to throw that out there for your prayerful consideration. In the most tender way possible, your husband is saying to you, "I know. I understand. I see it all. And it's ok to slow down and just be right here." I don't know this of course, but I trust that you will know whether it is close or not, and will discount my words if they are way off base.

joann10 wrote:
What tricks do you use to keep moving forward with the work?

I start with what inspires ME!!

So...what inspires YOU, Joann??? What do you enjoy? What comes naturally? What just bubbles up like a natural spring from within?

Identify those things and then peg or anchor a few disciplines to them.

Start early with a goal of finishing by lunch and then reward yourself with something nice and refreshing - a nap, 15 minutes locked in your bathroom reading, etc.

Set reasonable goals --> example: Morning prayers, 2 inspiring, enjoyable things, 1 discipline, afternoon prayers, meals, rest/quiet time.

Something that helps inspire me when I'm running on low is to simplify in a way that removes all the superfluous! Now, this would be different for each home educating family because my *superfluous* might be your *necessary* and vice versa, but grab what you can fit of the *necessary* and put it in a big bag. Move the necessary to your bed, or back porch, or on the floor somewhere...or another surprising locale. Bring the stuff that is inspiring to you - this definitely fits with your necessary. Change up your locale and routine and remove yourself from an area and routine that seems stale and uninspiring to you. This gets you out of that routine and into a temporary place.

Then, spend some time in prayer identifying where you're struggling most. You may have to identify some ways to delegate some tasks, and that's ok. Start to identify a prioritized list of areas you think might be lacking and that you're having trouble meeting on the day-to-day. It's ok if this takes a couple of months to pull together...the more thoughtful you can be with this list, the more helpful it will be. The key here is that this list is not meant to bring guilt or cause feelings of overwhelming inadequacy. This is your tool. Be gentle on yourself though! Be sure to balance this list, any list, with a recognition of the value of the suffering you've been given! Give yourself permission to be in the present moment and live it out, trusting in the supernatural lessons. And don't discount those strong and supportive words, "Don't worry about it...it will wait for another day."

That's my take, dear Joann! I know you'll ignore ideas that might be off the mark, and hope that there are a few thoughts here that you might be able to prayerfully turn over.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version