Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: "Mom's Tool Belt" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Erin wrote:
JodieLyn wrote:
What about covering your bullitin board with a pretty fabric.. then at least the plain lists would have the pretty background..

I've really been thinking about doing this since I saw that idea for the first time, here.. (Scroll down)

This would be very easy to do with a number of materials -- fabric, pretty wrapping paper, scrapbook paper. Or, choose an art print that you like and find inspiring and modge podge onto a clipboard. You can use modge podge or spray on shellac for a durable finish.

Clipboards are a fun and easy way to "pretty" ones daily paperwork and chores!

JennGM wrote:
Oh, saw this the other day, and thought of Jen. Stickie-Note Calendar.

I had to search a bit more since your link went to a general page....and found the stickie note calendar here. How delicious!

As far as other ways to make pretty your daily checklists and chore lists, I have some ideas! My first priority is function, but my second priority is pretty.      

** Each of us has different visuals that we find inspiring and pretty. Some enjoy floral/Victorian flourishes. Others would prefer a Catholic touch or symbol. Still others may prefer some touch of artwork or an architectural or simple geometric flourish. So, the first step in making something "pretty-to-you" is to consider the types of images that you find inspiring and uplifting.

** Think outside the box a bit for sources for a visual touch on your pages --
  • A favorite magazine probably has beautiful images that can be cut and then laminated, contact papered, or modge podged onto surfaces.
  • When it comes to adding digital flourishes and images onto a document, do a google search on copyright free images and you can find many you can drag to your desktop, insert on a corner of your document and then resize to fit. If you have a particular type of image you're searching for, insert it in the search properties. An example, I found a number of beautiful images by searching victorian copyright free clip art - same idea, drag image to your desktop and then create some folders for your "pretty" images.
  • Another source is within your font listing! Not everyone may have this font choice, so check your choices, but if you have "Type Embellishments One LET" you will have an amazing group of beautiful scrolls and swirls and flourishes to insert in your documents. If you don't have that option, most font choices contain something with symbols. Spend some time looking around your font choices - they're usually at the bottom. These look lovely setting off a title, or inserted in a top corner of a document. Just increase the font size so that your symbol is nice and large.
** Use colored paper instead of plain white paper for some of your lists and organizer papers. I really like this assorted color paper. Handwritten lists can coordinate with similarly colored lined paper.

** Like Jenn, I LOVE the Small Meadow Press Home Learning Notes sheets and use them all the time! Those are right up my alley!!! I print on different color papers and love the look! These look very pretty printed on antique looking paper, or a creamy ivory.

** Dover offers some CD-Roms that allow you to add beautiful images to things you print! You can really customize with these. Of course, these are items you'd need to purchase, but it could be really fun to have a CD-Rom of favorite images if you used it a lot. It comes in handy with creative children as well as they really enjoy playing with these and adding them to their work or creating pages of their own! Here are borders and frames, and there are ornaments and scrolly things and so many more.

** Instead of purchasing clipboards, use a decorative file folder to back a collection of planner papers. Some file folder material is flimsy and thin, but I've found some very pretty and substantial file folders in a variety of patterns and colors at Staples). Cut it in half and then trim it so that it is a little larger than an 8 1/2 x 11" paper. Punch two holes in the top of the file folder to be used as backing and punch coordinating holes in some of your planner paper. Attach with brass fasteners. Use pretty twine or ribbon and hang a collection either from magnets or along a wall near your desk or planning area. Or, since the file folder is a more rigid cardstock, you can stand a nice collection in a basket together. Choosing different patterns will make the different planning sheets stand out when standing together in your basket or file folder collection.

** If you're making a notebook, consider using scrapbook paper as your dividers to create different sections in your notebook.

** One of my favorite ways of adding a pretty touch are to use >>> PRETTY PENS <<<!!!!!!!!!! These are ONLY for me - the children DO NOT GET TO TOUCH MY PENS!!!!!! My two favorite sets that I use all the time are this Pilot Precise Set and my Paper Mate Flair Pens. Have mercy!!!! Is there anything prettier than pretty color-coordinated inks??? Seriously, I do take more time and am more careful with my handwriting if I'm using a nicer pen!

More later...I have to run for now! Have fun making your functional papers and planning sheets pretty everyone!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Mackfam wrote:
** One of my favorite ways of adding a pretty touch are to use >>> PRETTY PENS <<<!!!!!!!!!! These are ONLY for me - the children DO NOT GET TO TOUCH MY PENS!!!!!! My two favorite sets that I use all the time are this Pilot Precise Set and my Paper Mate Flair Pens. Have mercy!!!! Is there anything prettier than pretty color-coordinated inks??? Seriously, I do take more time and am more careful with my handwriting if I'm using a nicer pen!

I LOVE my Flair Pens!!!!! And, they are ONLY for me....the girls have their own set...but they cannot touch mine!!!!!! They are so fun!   

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Thank you so much for all of these wonderful ideas. I love them and I'm glad it's Friday because I'm going to spend some time this weekend exploring the various links!

I still might get the download but now I think I'll make a pretty bulletin board as discussed above and post the sheets. Then, as Jodie mentioned, move them to a binder when we're done with them for safe keeping.

Here's a question that might not even be answerable (if that's even a word!). Jen linked to the Etsy shop with the pretty clipboards. I could see using the idea of handing several clipboards with lists, schedules, etc. on them. I have the perfect place for it. So... and this is the embarassing part of the question ... how do I choose clipboards, or anything really, that coordinates? It's so silly but I am so "challenged" when it comes to visualizing how things are going to look all together. My dh and I were out furniture shopping and had the hardest time because neither of us could visualize what the couch was going to look like in our living room!! (And believe me, a couch isn't something you want to return the next day!) Is there a way to do this when a person isn't creatively or just visually gifted?

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Just wanted to add that there are ready printables at That Resource Site.

Becky, that's a tough question. The link that Jen provided to the Etsy shop you could just stick with one pattern that is in different colors to provide variety. Visually I think you want each clipboard to be distinctly different just by looking at it, so that at some point the color/pattern automatically means "Menu", "Calendar", etc. So maybe "Coordination" isn't as key as just to make sure the choices don't clash.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I keep forgetting to add another site with nice printables, Donna Young

She has a variety of layouts, and a lot of the things are available in a Word document so you can modify them to your specifications.

For instance, it saved me tons of time when I was doing my grocery shopping check-list. Most generic lists like that I've seen include TONS of things I don't buy and lacks many of the things I do. It was nice having a skeleton I could easily add and delete from where I didn't have to think from scratch or do all the formatting and layout. Also, if I wanted to, I could have added pretty clip-art, and again, without the hassle of starting completely from scratch.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

seeker
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote seeker

Am I missing Jen's link to that etsy shop somehow???
Back to Top View seeker's Profile Search for other posts by seeker

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

seeker wrote:
Am I missing Jen's link to that etsy shop somehow???

Sorry, it was in This Thread for this shop

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

seeker
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote seeker

Thanks Jenn! I had even posted on that thread... Guess I should look more carefully next time!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Becky Parker wrote:
Here's a question that might not even be answerable (if that's even a word!). Jen linked to the Etsy shop with the pretty clipboards. I could see using the idea of handing several clipboards with lists, schedules, etc. on them. I have the perfect place for it. So... and this is the embarassing part of the question ... how do I choose clipboards, or anything really, that coordinates? It's so silly but I am so "challenged" when it comes to visualizing how things are going to look all together. My dh and I were out furniture shopping and had the hardest time because neither of us could visualize what the couch was going to look like in our living room!! (And believe me, a couch isn't something you want to return the next day!) Is there a way to do this when a person isn't creatively or just visually gifted?

Is the problem picking out colors that coordinate? or remembering the colors to match to?

For your couch shopping.. what you might do is take pictures of the room with a phone camera.. then you can check the pictures on your phone while you're looking at couches.

But if it's trying to decide what matches there are some things that help.

a color wheel.. most colors work well in a triad (3 evenly spaced colors around the wheel) with their contrast.. the color directly across on the color wheel and those colors immediately to each side.

Then with patterns.. for instance if you have a small floral print.. it would likely go better with a much larger floral print, or another pattern that contrasts.. stripes.. maybe a checkered pattern or plaid.

Since a clipboard will probably last a good bit longer than the current set of papers.. I'd probably use a small all over print with a strong main color or a solid or maybe stripes.. since your papers you'll be putting on it are likely to have more single embellishments than small prints or stripes.. that will give a nice back ground for a picture.. where if you were trying to coordinate with a small printed pattern you might want to go with a larger print..

And it's ok to use a simpler idea.. like solid colors.. just because someone else can mix a large variety of patterns and colors successfully that doesn't mean that a simpler palette isn't pretty or nice.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I LOVE this wall of clipboards.

*I* made my own buy putting scrapbook paper on the backs of regular Staples clipboards. The nice thing about that is that, if you find the design isn't working in your space, you can change the paper.

Lots of designers now will have a book of coordinating cardstocks, so, you could get the hodgepodge but coordinated look without having to match patterns yourself.

I really like Amy Butler. I feel like her stuff is a bit trendy, and the fabrics are expensive (meaning, I'm not sure that I want to spend that kind of money on something that may look dated or I may tire of in a few years); so, the papers are a nice indulgence for me. Its one way I get the pretty in

However, K and Company has a ton of different sets to choose from if Amy Butler isn't your thing, and many of them are SO pretty, and you can find lots of little things to coordinate. I like using the little "mat stacks" which are 5x7 maybe for writing quotes and verses and things on that I want to stick on the fridge. I've also used them to hand write schedules and things--anything I want to display long term, lol.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

seeker
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote seeker

CrunchyMom wrote:

*I* made my own buy putting scrapbook paper on the backs of regular Staples clipboards. The nice thing about that is that, if you find the design isn't working in your space, you can change the paper.

That's what I thought of doing, too! It would be really easy with those clear plastic clipboards.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Becky Parker wrote:
how do I choose clipboards, or anything really, that coordinates?

I suppose everyone has different tastes...and I find that for different projects my tastes may range from understated leaning toward a neutral color palette...to bold and a little edgy. Jodie mentioned a color wheel, and those are really helpful and a lot of fun when playing with color! There are a lot of really great books that help you "visualize" when working with color and trying to see how well colors will work together:

** Can't Fail Color Scheme by Amy Wax
** Better Homes and Gardens Color Scheme Made Easy
** Color Idea Book
** Neutral Color Schemes

Just so you can get an idea of my clipboards and other tools I have to work with - I went with a complementary color theme in tangerines and turquoise:

Other options that would work well with tangerine and turquoise theme would be:

...and I have some pretty and terribly functional large oilcloth envelopes in this pattern:

The oilcloth envelopes are large 10 x 13 zipper pouches and came from here, along with a few of the smaller velcro closure envelopes in the same pattern.

Then...to complete things...I ordered some simple white tyvek envelopes (large....10 x 13....indestructible and very useful organizing tools!!!) for organizing some stationery collections I have. I'll dress up the envelopes a bit by printing some labels for them with my printer, laminating and bordering in pretty tape like this:

So...that's a lot of pattern with 2 bold colors of turquoise and tangerine...and an anchor color of white with some black probably in there as well. I LOVE playing with color! Browns and deep reds look nice together. Blues (from a deeper blue-green-robin's egg blue....to pale-shadowy-wispy light blue) and yellows are a favorite color combination of mine!!!!! Green and yellow work great! This is a neat site for learning a little bit about basic color - complementary colors, tertiary colors, etc.

And as Jodie said, you can go solids, or different patterns.

Have fun coordinating clipboards, Becky and all!!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CrunchyMom wrote:
I really like Amy Butler.

Oh me too, Lindsay!!!!!! I love the "morning glory" pattern...and have been trying to come up with a project that will justify me hunting it down and doing something fun with it!!! I drool over this!!! >>drool<< >>drool<<   

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I wanted to add Cath Kidston. I purchased her recipe binder and her notebooks. I have been extremely good at writing my notes in them and I love how "pretty" they look on my desk. I also enjoy spiral bound notebooks and these are a very sturdy steel and sturdy thick cover.

Jen, I took a look at the etsy shop and I'm trying to tell myself "yes you use loose paper alot!" just so I can purchase one . I'll let you know if I convince myself . Or...

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

CrunchyMom wrote:

What kind of adhesive do you use? This might be a good trial run, maybe even find some fun paper for my littles. They're always on the floor because it's a hard surface. Oohh, just the thought of a project and scrapbook paper .

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 07 2011 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Grace&Chaos wrote:
I wanted to add Cath Kidston. I purchased her recipe binder and her notebooks. I have been extremely good at writing my notes in them and I love how "pretty" they look on my desk. I also enjoy spiral bound notebooks and these are a very sturdy steel and sturdy thick cover.

Ooooohhh!!! Another good one to add!! Cath Kidston!!!!

Grace&Chaos wrote:
Jen, I took a look at the etsy shop and I'm trying to tell myself "yes you use loose paper alot!" just so I can purchase one . I'll let you know if I convince myself . Or...

I know what you mean! I print out charts and planners and organizers ALL.THE.TIME (as if anyone didn't know that about me ) and clipboards are always in use here for action items!! The kids have taken over all my simple plastic clipboards for their lesson plans and project plans...thus prompting me to search for pretty new ones! And...another thing I do in addition to printing charts and plans I build with my laptop...is brainstorm on notepads of paper. I do this SOOO much!!! I really love paper and pen just as much as I enjoy the usefulness of a laptop!!! For that reason...I treated myself to a couple of these notepads in coordinating prints in addition to my new clipboards! Just a little treat.

VanessaVH
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote VanessaVH

This thread is so inspiring! I actually bought clipboards and pulled out some favorite papers from my stash. I Modge Podged them on. They are drying on the counter, but when they are done, maybe I could post a picture?
Back to Top View VanessaVH's Profile Search for other posts by VanessaVH

seeker
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote seeker

VanessaVH wrote:
This thread is so inspiring! I actually bought clipboards and pulled out some favorite papers from my stash. I Modge Podged them on. They are drying on the counter, but when they are done, maybe I could post a picture?

oooh, would love to see how they turned out     Isn't it so funny how we can go on and on about something as seemingly mundane as a clipboard?

VanessaVH
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 10 2011 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote VanessaVH

I started a new clipboard thread
Back to Top View VanessaVH's Profile Search for other posts by VanessaVH

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2011 at 6:20am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Wow, this has been so helpful and interesting for me to read! Jen, I would have never thought of paring tangerine and turqoise but I see that they compliment each other well. I'm inspired to not only make my planner prettier, but now I think I'll do a covered bulletin board with clipboards to hang in our schoolroom. I'm dealing with some nursing issues and we have a baptism this weekend but after that I might be back with more questions!    Thanks for all of the great advice ladies!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version