Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Book Repair Again Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
Elizabeth, thanks so much! Lots of goodies! The gold tape to repair Golden Books caught my eye!

MINE TOO!!!!!! I was going to come back and mention that! I can't wait to sit down and go through that website thoroughly tonight!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Yes, they couldn't call it "Golden Book Repair Tape" without infringement, but that's exactly its purpose! :)

When I was a child, I earned spending money by packing book repair and hospital color coding tape into boxes for shipping. When I was a teen, I ran the machines that wind the tape. A family business in a funny little niche market...

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I just saw this question and wanted to answer it....even though it's a very late answer! Sorry.

amarytbc wrote:
JennGM wrote:
I have gone through 2 rolls, about to place another order. It's been so wonderful!

Very timely post for me. What widths have you used?

I really like the 2" width and find it to be pretty useful. I like the wider width especially for spine work! I just ordered some stretch tape through Elizabeth's family business, Stick E Mart, in a 1" width to try. I'm excited to try the stretch tape as well!

Hope this answer isn't too late to be useful, amarytbc!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Betsy wrote:
Jenn,
I have been using Bodart book jacket covers for over five years and I have been very please with them.

Betsy,
Thank you so much!!!!! Like, Jenn, I've wanted something to cover my dustjackets with for some time -- a one-size-fits-most sort of customizable option! I just didn't have a clue where to start! Your post is super helpful and informative! Thanks so much for those details and the explanation of how you use the mylar as it is super helpful for me to visualize!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Donna Marie wrote:
I am a little Help?
If I were to put together a book repair kit, which items would I need to cover a variety of sizes of books?
hmmm?

I really enjoyed reading Jenn's answer! My book repair kit is similar, and I've just expanded it a bit which I'm excited about. I'm also really glad that I only bought a couple of items to work with initially. They are proving to be the backbone of my book repair kit!

Jen Mack's book repair kit:

** 2" wide clear bookguard tape in a 3.5 mil thickness. This is my go-to tape of choice and I've repaired spines, corners and reattached covers to end pages (though I do think a good cloth tape would work better, and I've finally ordered some!!!). This size and the particular sticky-stuff that is on these tapes makes this so worthwhile to have around! When it sticks, it is SERIOUS BUSINESS!!

** Acid free transparent tape. Think scotch tape....but acid free. I use this to repair tears in pages. Duck makes my favorite brand because it is SO INEXPENSIVE!

** Microfiber cloth. As a general rule, I do not enjoy microfiber towels because they make my hands feel funny, but this is an exception. I order a lot of used books, and I always begin the cleaning process with a good wipedown with a microfiber towel because they're great at grabbing dust and little fibers of yuck. I do have to be careful on delicate/fragile pages that may have a rip. These are super cheap and you can find them in any grocery store or stuff-mart.

** Folex. Amazing stuff. Just.plain.amazing. I only use it on the hardcovers or laminated softcovers if they're really soiled. I don't wipe down every book.

** Alcohol wipes. These little square shaped individually wrapped wipes can be found in a small box in any pharmacy (you've seen them at the doctors office - they rip one open every time they clean off a thermometer or little scope). I use them for wiping scissor blades after cutting, or for wiping covers if there are questionable items stuck to the cover.    They're drying, so they are used sparingly on books, but I like the minimal size and find them eminently useful all over my house! You'll find individually packaged alcohol wipes in almost every survival kit in my home - from wiping sharpies off of wood floors to wiping goo off blades - these things are VALUABLE TOOLS!!!!!!

** Laminator or clear gloss laminating film by contact paper. I sometimes run a dustjacket right through my (no-heat) laminator if it will fit. If it doesn't fit, I might use Contact brand laminating film for the cover (but that can sometimes be a pain, so I'm excited to try Betsy's recommendation of mylar!). I cover a lot of paperbacks, too, and enjoy using the Contact brand laminating film for that. I only cover good paperbacks, like Sophia Press books for example, books that I KNOW will be passed down! We've got covering with contact paper down to an art form now, and I'll give you a hint....if you ever end up with little bubbles of air (very annoyingly) right in the middle of a book cover - don't panic!!! Grab a tiny pin, the kind you might use to pin a hem before you sew it, and just give it a little prick with the pin. It lets the air out and then you can flatten it out with your fingers. The hole is tiny enough that it isn't seen or felt!

** Really good pair of small Fiskars scissors that are very sharp and ONLY USED BY ME for making small, detailed cuts in tape and other materials. These are protected by me like they were GOLD!!!! NO ONE gets to use my good little scissors!!! AND I MEAN NO ONE!!!!!!!! I clean the scissor blades carefully with goo gone and simple alcohol wipes to keep the sticky crud from messing up my scissors.

So, that's my little kit! Most of it is pretty inexpensive actually, and the book repair tape I do use I have found to be really helpful and essential! I'm excited to be adding mylar covers, cloth repair tape and stretch repair tape to my repair kit....along with those fantastic Golden Book spine tapes! I can't tell you how many Little Golden Books of mine that need their spines re-taped, and though I don't care about all of them, some of them will really benefit from this tape!

Hope this is a help, Donna Marie!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I am officially serial posting....on a book repair thread!

Are any of you even remotely surprised???

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:

I am officially serial posting....on a book repair thread!

Are any of you even remotely surprised???

Not even remotely. Just wondering what took you so long?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Wow—the book jacket covers are very cool. I am embarrassed to admit that our dust jackets get so ratty that I sometimes throw them out.

Regarding RPI/Stick-E-Mart tape, I just have a bin in my basement of roll ends that come my way. I just grab what I need and pay no attention to the name or description of the product -- since I'm not usually on the website. But I can say that I use the clear book repair tape more than anything else. And for a while, I used quite a bit of the color coding tape on the spines of books, in an effort to keep our homeschool library organized, but I've lately fallen way out of that habit, as the books seem to multiply so quickly these days.

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Mackfam wrote:
** Laminator or clear gloss laminating film by contact paper. I sometimes run a dustjacket right through my (no-heat) laminator if it will fit.

So here's my question... If you run a dust jacket through a laminator, doesn't the dust jacket lose the tight creases that keep it folded into the book? (Does that make sense?) How do you do that? Trying to solve my dust jacket woes over here...

Now you even have me—a former 4-Real poster coming out of hibernation—serially posting! It's good to chat with everyone again. I've been a bit preoccupied with babies over the last couple years.

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

ElizLeone wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
** Laminator or clear gloss laminating film by contact paper. I sometimes run a dustjacket right through my (no-heat) laminator if it will fit.

So here's my question... If you run a dust jacket through a laminator, doesn't the dust jacket lose the tight creases that keep it folded into the book? (Does that make sense?) How do you do that? Trying to solve my dust jacket woes over here...

It keeps the crease, but it certainly isn't a tight fold like it used to be. Any straightedge or bone folder will work to re-crease the fold. It's easy to see where the fold is, I just fold it and re-crease.

ElizLeone wrote:
Now you even have me—a former 4-Real poster coming out of hibernation—serially posting! It's good to chat with everyone again. I've been a bit preoccupied with babies over the last couple years.

It has been so great to visit with you a bit, too, Elizabeth!!!! And....who wouldn't want to come out of hibernation to talk about book repair!!!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mackfam wrote:

Jen Mack's book repair kit:

Thought of one more thing I keep nearby -
A good art eraser for stray pencil marks.

And, I thought I'd link you to a bone folder in case you were interested in one. I have one, and it is nice, but a simple wooden ruler works fine, too. You just have to be careful in using it and the amount of pressure you use. Sometimes, I just grab a tupperware cup and use that to flatten a crease - the nice rounded smooth plastic edge on the bottom of the cup works well! So....no need to think you must have a bone folder in your tool kit. Drop a tupperware cup in there instead!!!

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Mackfam wrote:
It keeps the crease, but it certainly isn't a tight fold like it used to be. Any straightedge or bone folder will work to re-crease the fold. It's easy to see where the fold is, I just fold it and re-crease.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks! I wasn't sure if you could really re-crease through the lamination. Good to know! Thank you!

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Bone Folder work the best for creasing the mylar book covers too! I do often grab my scissor, because that is what's closest, but if I am doing a bunch at a time I like the bone folder the best.

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

You are such a sweetheart Jenn Mac, and Jenn and everyone!! Thank you! I am so excited and I already saw a container in Target that I want to store everything in! Yippee!

I have to wonder why I am so excited...
but then I realize, i get excited about ANYTHING after I talk to you wonderful gals! THANK YOU!!
ooh I have to do this...I never did it before...

Yes, you rate 3 dancing bananas.

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 05 2011 at 4:55am | IP Logged Quote Erin

A book repair thread I have to join the party

ElizLeone,

Wow what happy memories

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 20 2011 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Betsy wrote:
Jenn,
I have been using Bodart book jacket covers for over five years and I have been very please with them.

I get the this combination:
Length: 300' L
Height: 14" H
Mil: 2
Film Finish: Super Clear
PK type: Rolls
Qty/Pk: 1

It comes on a role. There are plastic forms that go in each end of the role and fit in the box it comes in, so you can role it off the role without having to take it out of the box. One of the ends of the mylar has a permanent crease. I simply take off my dust jacket off and measure out the width that I need and cut it off the role. I then place the bottom of the dust jacket snugly in the permanent crease and fold the mylar over the top edge of the cover and crease it with the edge of my scissors or something like that. It very customizable. I have had some of these covers on for five years and they still look great. I can't recommend this enough for saving dust jackets for picture books!

Note on the size I got. I choose 14" because I cover a lot of picture books. This size seems to fit almost all my needs. Someone else might consider getting the 12" or less if they were doing only chapter books.

Betsy,
Your input was so helpful to me! I was really unsure with all the dustcover choices and figured it would take me a CENTURY to go through all of them, memorize them, research the dog out of them....in order to finally make a decision (      ), but your review of your Bodart mylar roll was so valuable and helpful to me that I was able to make a decision I really felt comfortable with!!! I especially appreciated your explanation on the size you got and why!

I ended up purchasing Demco Paperfold Mylar book jacket covers. I bought the Paperfold assortment pack (which has 25-9", 50-10", 25-12" -- 100 in the package). These are adjustable book jacket covers, so for example the 10" size fits a cover from 9 1/4" up to 10". I really was on the fence between a roll of mylar like Betsy reviewed, or getting the individual sheets, but in the end decided on the assortment pack of individual sheets just to get my feet wet and try them out.   I really, really like them! Here's why:
    * I like that they are backed with paper. I almost went with plain mylar with no paper backing, but many of the dust covers I'm covering are really quite old and some are disintegrating. I decided to go with the paper backed mylar for the extra support and I'm really, really glad I did!

* The paper backing is perforated so that you can adjust the size exactly and fold along the perforation.

* The assortment package seems to have every size I've needed so far, so I'm really pleased with the variety.

* The mylar is 1.5 mil polyester. I was worried that wouldn't be adequate (Betsy reviewed 2 mil), but it is really quite adequate. Perhaps it is the addition of the paper backing that provides extra rigidity and support?
The dustcover fits in between the mylar and paper, and tucks right in at the top fold where the mylar and paper meet. The bottom of the paper is scored and folded (along the provided perforations) to accommodate the exact size of the dustcover and then the remaining mylar from the bottom also folds up (crease with a bone folder), thus containing the dustcover completely. There is a small piece of adhesive on the bottom of the mylar that holds the mylar in place on the paper. Crease all the folds with a bone folder.

I'm really pleased with this weight, brand, and style, and so far really am glad that I have the assortment package to accomodate the different sizes. It makes covering the different sizes very easy and quick to do - and I'm all about efficient use of time!!!!

Thanks again, Betsy!!

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2012 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Bumping this cuz I have been reading it for an hour and a half

What type of books do you end up covering with the mylar covers Jenn Mac? Do certain books need it more than others? If I had a whole shelf of vision type books would I be needing the 8 or 9" and

if I have picture books, what would be the most economical way of covering them?

And do I need paper tape or glue or will the clear book tape be a one size fits all deal??

Any ideas?? I'm still trying to make my book repair kit and organize our shelves better...sooo many wonderful ideas and i need to simplify them and make it happen...help?!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 09 2012 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Donna Marie wrote:
What type of books do you end up covering with the mylar covers Jenn Mac?

If I have a book that isn't used too frequently, lives mostly on the shelf, I probably don't cover it. Most of my books are handled quite a bit though, so if it's a hardcover book with a dustjacket, I cover it. Since we order a lot of older, used books, and I prefer a book with a dustjacket present, we do a lot of recovering.

I use the 9" mylar covers most often. Even if an 8" cover would have fit better, the 9" works because you can just fold it and make it fit. You can't stretch an 8".

You can see the type of books I cover in these two pictures. All of these books are covered with 9" covers:

The ones with the glossy covers are the mylar covers. The dust jackets aren't in great shape on a lot of my books (they're usually old and used), so the mylar covers really help. I really need to finish covering some of the other books in this basket!

If I were going to build a super simple kit?

** Mylar covers
** Clear heavy duty book covering tape in at least a 2" width

Donna Marie wrote:
if I have picture books, what would be the most economical way of covering them?

I don't usually cover picture books unless it's something really special. You'll just have to evaluate that one by looking around at what you've got. My guess is contact paper is probably the best bet for paperback picture books. For picture books with dust jackets, I usually roll the dust jacket through my laminator.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version