Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Tracking Your Family's Schedules (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: How do you keep track of your family's schedules?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [33.80%]
15 [21.13%]
5 [7.04%]
6 [8.45%]
15 [21.13%]
2 [2.82%]
2 [2.82%]
2 [2.82%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 12:39pm | IP Logged  

Keeping track of your family members' schedules can be a real challenge. Do you have a tried-and-true way of maintaining calendar sanity? Vote in our poll and tell us what works for you.

You're welcome to vote more than once.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 12:50pm | IP Logged  

Catholic Wall Calender and...
Goggle Calender and...
my cell phone calender

Notices from Goggle go to my email.. my cell phone has the reminder alarm set on appt. that I need to be somewhere at a particular time.. usually an hour before so I have time to get us all moving in the right direction to make it.

I'm actually planning on going down and finding out how much more it will cost for unlimited text messages on my phone. I don't like putting things like tasks around the house on my cell phone because then when I look at the calender every day is highlighted making it harder to know which days I have things I have to go and do vs days that I'm home all day. I will put a "reminder" calender on Goggle and have text messages sent to my phone from that instead. It would be sooo nice to get that audible reminder whereever I am that I have to get dinner started (trying to get an earlier dinner time established.. it's not going so well)

But really.. I rarely forget things when I'm being good about getting them into all 3 calenders. And I can usually get to everything on time. Which is pretty amazing for me when you consider that before I had reminders from my phone that I could go all day and not know what day it is.. let alone what I had going on. Though there's also the fact that things have gotten more busy since the time I started using the phone so I would have had less to remember back before my cell phone (about 3.5 yrs ago)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 12:52pm | IP Logged  

That's my problem, Jodie. Making sure the events are on all the calendars. I use a wall calendar, Michele's planner, and then trying to use more reminders from Google or Outlook. The cell phone would be a good idea.

Sometimes my problem is that I remember the events, but lose track of time, so a timer and alerts and such bring me back to reality and fit the event into the time slot for me.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 12:57pm | IP Logged  

yes that's it exactly.. I lose track of time easily so I need something to "grab me" and make me pay attention.    And that's what the alarms do for me.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 1:37pm | IP Logged  

I had a post all typed up, then went back to add a vote for "other", and somehow lost the post.

I originally voted for wall calendar. Our calendar hangs inside our pantry door on an awesome display board (purchased at the last minute, while leaving a garage sale, for 50 cents..thank you St. Anthony!). All our keys, dog leashes, and "to-go" items hang on hooks above the calendar, making it a universally viewed spot. Appts. and events are color-coded for each individual family member (colored pens & highlighters hang in a small wall basket on a hook beneath the calendar). The board with all its hooks and central calendar has become one of our best organizational tools ever! Our only challenge has been getting certain unnamed family members to report schedules or appts for recording.

We just begun attaching small tags from prescription bags on the side of our calendar, beside the week they need to be refilled. We also record the projected prescription in Quicken, along with doctor or vet appts. Since our Quicken is filled in with projected budget expenses for the entire year (and sometimes beyond), it works really well to include appointments and prescriptions that will eventually require an entry in our Quicken anyway.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 2:48pm | IP Logged  

I voted 'Wall Calendar' and 'Scribbled List on Paper'.

For events further away, doctor's appointment's, dh's exams etc I write on the wall calendar.

For the children's weekly/term work/sports commitments I write up a list; scribbled or typed and hang on the fridge, sometimes I scribble daily changes on the whiteboard for dh. Then I email dh at work and remind him of which children he has to pick up and from where on his way home.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 3:00pm | IP Logged  

google and ipod touch and wall calendar here.... wall calendar my "ideal" but never happens, google the most reliable, easiest and efficient. we send each other "invites" all the time.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 3:46pm | IP Logged  

I've used Michelle's Family Centered Press Catholic Woman's planner/calendar for several years now and love it. I have the smaller size which is nice because I can shove it in my bag when we go to the library, etc and have all my lists, plans, etc with me if I need them. So, I almost voted purse-sized, but really it is a little large to be truly purse-sized I think, so I voted pre-printed planner.
Oh, gosh, that reminds me, it is nearly time to re-order!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 4:03pm | IP Logged  

I voted for google calendar or similar since I could not live without my itouch. Ever since we got it just a few moths ago I have transfered everything to it and I love the different calendars on ical.

I LOVE ICAL!!!!!!!!!

All my stuff is in the ical and the reminders are awesome!!!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

greengables
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 4:14pm | IP Logged  

lapazfarm wrote:
I've used Michelle's Family Centered Press Catholic Woman's planner/calendar for several years now and love it. I have the smaller size which is nice because I can shove it in my bag when we go to the library, etc and have all my lists, plans, etc with me if I need them. So, I almost voted purse-sized, but really it is a little large to be truly purse-sized I think, so I voted pre-printed planner.
Oh, gosh, that reminds me, it is nearly time to re-order!

Thanks Lapazfarm for this because I also use Michelle's planner and I wasn't sure which one to vote for. This is my first year using her planner and I just LOVE it! I have become more organized with each passing month! It goes with me everywhere! I use the extra pages to organize all sorts of things and to take notes when I am out.   

Thank you, Michelle!

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 7:52pm | IP Logged  

I voted wall calendar, but I really use my brain to keep it all there. It's just the way I'm made. Dates and times always stick once it gets put in there. Now, if only I could organize my house the way my brain is organized. Sigh.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 8:11pm | IP Logged  

WOOHOO - I stopped and talked to cell phone people and I can now have Google Calender txt message my phone with reminders

-Sir Walter Scott

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 5:04pm | IP Logged  

The system I have right now is my MOST FAVORITE yet!

Currently I use:

Outlook (synced to my home computer and my...)
Blackberry smart phone

It took awhile to get myself up and running but now I literally don't want to be without either. I love having everything I need in one place...especially my overlaying calendars. Everyone here 11 years and older knows to go to the computer to "check the calendar."

I also LOVE sending myself quick texts to keep track of little things.

PLUS

I am using Michelle's small planner for ME ME ME! I leave it in my room, sitting prettily on my side table, to read in the morning before I leave my room to face the day, to add thoughts connected to spiritual reading/prayer, and again at night to remind me about tomorrow. I love holding it and writing in it...I missed that peaceful, tactile experience when I went paperless years ago. No one looks in it except ME so it is growing into something very lovely.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 5:15pm | IP Logged  

I use Michelle's planner as well. I really like it. I have the larger version. It sits open on my desk for all to see.

Anita
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 5:16pm | IP Logged  

Michelle's small planners stand up very well in purses! Mine is almost always with me, either in my house, car, or purse. Most people think I'm weird for not having one of those smart phones or an ipod or something, but I'm a klutz and this calendar never breaks when I drop it!

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 5:26pm | IP Logged  

I think I will always use a wall calendar or planner, just because the act of writing and assigning something to a date commits it to memory more easily than typing it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 8:01pm | IP Logged  

I have a BIG wall calendar, so everyone can see it. Older children are expected to write their events into their grids on the calendar.

I also have a purse sized planner to jot stuff down as I learn about them, and to be able to set up appointments when I am away from the house.

And I have Google calendar with txt message updates to keep me on track during the day.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 9:18pm | IP Logged  

I'm a split of paper and technology...but it works very well for me!!

PAPER:
I have used the large planner for years and love it!! I write my to-do's and big project lists on Michele's planner. I plan our school roadmap on this planner as well (things like when our terms begin and end and any breaks we take). I also write appointments on the planner.

TECHNOLOGY:
I just recently got an iphone and I admit that I'm in with the tool it can be! I sync with my ical on my computer which offers reminders of appointments for me and will text my phone. All my contacts and lists and even my budget app is on there...all in one place! I like to use the large planner which doesn't fit in my purse for transport (and I forget to bring it places anyway); I like that I always have my phone with me when I'm out. If I'm making an appt. out, I can go right to my ical, check my calendar, make a new appt. that doesn't conflict with other outings/appts.

So...it's a blending of paper and tech that seems to work. But...I don't think I'm in a real groove yet with the phone and the tools it has because it's still pretty new.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 7:31am | IP Logged  

Well, I"m one of the "other" people. I calendar things in an engagement planner book - 2011 is a big splurge on a French Country Diary, which is so beautiful and can count as a Christmas gift (this is how I justify the splurge ). Every week, I write out our days on looseleaf paper which I keep on a clipboard. So what I do is incorporate the calendar, the regular out of the house things, the housecleaning, phone calls to make, and so on (you get the idea) so that I have about half a page of everything in front of my face at the same time. Reviewing and writing it all out weekly helps me remember what I'll be needing to do. I would be no good with iCal, because unless I write it out in longhand it leaves my brain.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 9:44am | IP Logged  

I voted pda/cellphone since that is what we use for scheduled stuff, but I have a spreadsheet for other "to do" things that occur on a regular basis like cleaning tasks and errands to run. Our school plans are also in a spreadsheet.

If I didn't have to keep a schedule for work I'm sure I'd do everything in the spreadsheet.

Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version