Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: favorite short car schooling activities Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 19 2010 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Our family's new schedule includes 4, 20 minute round trips a day...at least . What are your favorite short activities for:

a group of boys 15, 11, and 5yo (10 minutes)
a pair of boys, 11 and 5yo (20 minutes)
individual boy 11yo (10 and 20 minutes)
individual boy 5yo (10 and 20 minutes)

Off the top of my head I'm thinking:

Discussion - character formation, daily readings...
Spelling - I have a card for words for each.
Music Appreciation - I need to pull out my classical CDs.
Story-telling - in the round.

Thanks for helping me to brainstorm!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2010 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Alphabet game.
Choose a category and then everyone takes turns naming something in the category beginning with an A, then everyone names something beginning with a B, etc.
Fun categories are animals, food, cities, literary characters,etc.
If this is played with multiple ages we always let the youngest go first, so they get the most obvious choices out of the way first(ant, bear, cat, dog, etc). Then it is a bit more challenging for the olders to think of something else beginning with that letter.

I spy.

20 Questions.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2010 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

If you have any of the Professor Noggin card games, you could adapt them for use in the car (instead of rolling a die to see which question each player answers, they could choose #1, 2 or 3 and then answer that question).

Foreign language CDs (practice or music).

Age-appropriate story CDs (my kids loved Adventures in Odyssey when we had long car trips).

Poetry reading/recitation.

Singing.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

We practice grammar lessons -- name a word and others have to guess the part of speech; pick a part of speech and everyone has to give a word. Sometimes we do Mad Libs in the car.

Theresa, I play the alphabet game by myself in the car sometimes.       

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 23 2010 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thank, ladies! Keep the ideas coming...we have a lot of short car rides to fill .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

We get books on CD from the library- great literature that I want my kids to know- Paddington Bear, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Peter Pan, etc.

We also own the Music Master's CDs and will listen to those.

I am big on things I do not have to actively participate in, because I don't want to get too distracted from driving.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I haven't added anything because we are so bad at doing any organized work in the car. The kids often bring something they are working on with them - mostly individual reading. Keep the ideas coming - I need to get more purposeful and productive in my car activities.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 16 2010 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

With my 15yo we are...

Listening to talk radio and discussing current events.

Discussing and editing essays. He brings his current essay to the van on a clipboard.

I'm growing quite fond of this one-to-one uninterrupted time in an enclosed environment . Charlotte Mason short lessons rule .

Love,

herdingkittens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 17 2010 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote herdingkittens

I just discovered the following podcasts that I load onto my little ipod and play in the car (or over lunch):

Classics for Kids (Music appreciation)
Kara's free audiobooks (common domain - loads of classics)
Story Nory (little fiction stories for the younger set)

HTH!   
Back to Top View herdingkittens's Profile Search for other posts by herdingkittens

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2010 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

- math music/song CD's (we have a favorite scholastic multiplication one)

- second the "I Spy" (reinforce colors, shapes, concepts such as same/different, big/small, etc)

-we have a DVD in our car and will use short films like Disney's American Legends or other related to topic we're studying like Disocver Science, sometimes our Prima Latina DVD

- along the lines of latin: our pronunciation CD

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

MamaFence
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 27 2010 at 12:41am | IP Logged Quote MamaFence

what great ideas! We have 20-30 minute car trips anywhere we go, and I keep wanting to have quality time in the car. I'm going to try these. Most times I've tried to practice spelling or math facts with my first grader, she balks and whines.      She'd rather be goofy with her sister.
Back to Top View MamaFence's Profile Search for other posts by MamaFence

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version