Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: How do you decide? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 08 2010 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

When it comes to planning your curriculum for your teen, how do you decide what to use? I know a lot of us use 'living books' and such. But what do YOU use as your inspiration when planning? How do you make sure that you cover all of your bases? What bases should be covered? How do you make sure that they have what they need before they 'graduate'? Is there any source of wisdom that you have found particularly helpful in this area? What is your philosophy?

It seems more and more there isn 't a whole lot of sharing with the ins and outs of not only planning but working the plan with the high school level. There is a lot of sharing with grade school and I think I just might be spoiled that way... I am just learning what works and doesn't with my high school aged children and it is so nice to glean ideas and inspiration from those that have been there before me...even if they are just one step ahead IYKWIM...

...just thinking out loud here and wondering what ya'll think on the subject...

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 08 2010 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I'm not there quite yet.. my oldest is only going to be starting 8th.

But I've been keeping in mind something a friend mentioned which is making a plan for the individual child.

You have a child that is drawn to a profession/calling that college will be a must.. then you will pay a lot more attention to the things that colleges will be asking for.. looking at colleges for general information on what they want to see while you have time to meet those goals without stressing out.

You have a child that wants to be in a profession that doesn't need to go through college, then you may want to look at a different plan.

Those that are entrepreneurial may need even a different course of study, more business skills.

And then there are things that you will think anyone needs to know, both for being "well rounded" and for life skills like.. exposure to a smattering of literature or math skills for balancing a budget and doing comparison shopping.

And of course not forgetting those special interests of the child regardless of their goals.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 08 2010 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Donna Marie

You pose some really great questions I just love thinking (and talking ) about these topics. I have to dash off at present, but I'm going to be giving this some deep thought and will be back later to talk, hopefully with some clarity.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 08 2010 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Jodie makes some great points.

I told my son, as we spent much of 8th grade planning a high school course of study, that my job was to leave all doors open (college, military, trade/vocational, etc.) until he decided to close them for himself. To that end, we designed a college-prep curriculum (based on our state university and military service academy entrance requirements) and allowed plenty of time for hands-on carpentry (which he loves) and auto repair (which he doesn't love, but it's a life skill in our family). He chose his own P.E. (archery, hiking, cycling) and we managed to work in some aviation studies as well - another favorite topic.

I went to a college prep high school (Catholic) and based what I did for my son on the things I learned during my own experience. I did give him options on how many years of foreign language to study and a few things like that, but colleges are able to pick and choose these days, so a "more than the minimum" high school transcript can be an advantage.

I, personally, believe that business studies are essential for nearly everyone - entrepreneurs, artists/musicians/dancers (because they often freelance or open studios), skilled tradespeople (who may open their own businesses later on), and professionals.

I'll give you one guess - what do you think my major was in college?   

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 09 2010 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Donna Marie, I love talking about what works for us! And I don't mind talking about what hasn't worked for us . I think the reasons why discussion slows down in The High School Years forum for planning and designing curriculum include...

By the time we've made it to the high school years, we've become experienced in what works for us. We're more confident and comfortable than in the early years because of our experience - most days .

The high school year vary greatly, too. Each student is finding their way to their goals. Each community offers different opportunities.

My high school students also do the vast majority of the planning of their programs. I feel more like the mentor/facilitator. For example, after talking with my ds, incoming freshman, I wrote up a leadership class for him based on his goals and interests. We are fleshing it out as we go along. So my planning time is more likely to be with my high schooler rather than with other moms.

In a way, I don't decide, my high schooler decides. I just try to lay out the options as best as I can and they choose.

I really do love when topics are started here about high school in general, and specific topics. I would especially be interested in self-designed course outlines that have worked well.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2010 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

We too work closely helping our teens decide the course of their studies...it is kinda fun, actually. It is hard sometimes when we are searching for resources. Ideas for resources seem to come in droves for the elementary years and aren't as prolific for the high school crowd. We second guess our choices all of the time and don't know if what we have selected will stand the test of time. At this point, who has the extra $$ to spend??

I have had a few people share what they think should be a great resource but few share what didn't work. I am not necessarily talking about this forum...just talking out loud...ok, out loud with my fingers... and then, factor in the fact that they are starting to get their own preferences for their futures and you throw in a whole 'nother thing to consider!

In my situation, I have my eldests (twins) with processing issues and they have a totally different way of handling school than the rest of the crowd. I can't always rely on the fact that I have 'been there' with them for the next ones. The eldests will probably be interested in being outdoor survival instructors or something like that..so it is hard to know what direction I should go in for them. It looks like they are looking for a life that is so non-traditional and some things are so difficult for them I don't know what to require them to just muscle through and what I can just substitute.

.....and the next one an engineer (Ok, this one is more predictable)

....and the next? Whoa...he is an interesting character...who knows about him (haha, maybe he is my priest)

...and then Mary Rose will be the one who will be the scholar, prolific in many disciplines...lol

...so planning for high school aged people I find interesting.

I figure I will be a wonderfully seasoned grandmother someday...and fully available to help any one of my kids homeschool their own, if they wish!

But back to resources,
If you could only have a few books on your shelves for the various subjects for high school, what would they be and why? Is this a hard question? Your spines, I guess, is what I am looking for. What have you found to be invaluable and worth their precious spot on your limited shelves (after all they are filled with elementary books too...haha)

And then, of course, there are planning books or sites or such for you to help guide them. The Well Trained Mind?? High School of Your Dreams??

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 09 2010 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Donna Marie wrote:
We too work closely helping our teens decide the course of their studies...it is kinda fun, actually.

...But back to resources,
If you could only have a few books on your shelves for the various subjects for high school, what would they be and why? Is this a hard question? Your spines, I guess, is what I am looking for.

And then, of course, there are planning books or sites or such for you to help guide them. The Well Trained Mind?? High School of Your Dreams??

It is fun, isn't it?! I love the unfolding...watching it all unfold in ways that I couldn't have anticipated.

I'll ask dd what here favorite resources were and I'll ponder mine. I'll get back to you after our vacation .

I, too, am interested in favorite resources! Especially with an incoming freshman who if very different from his older sister .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2010 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Angie Mc wrote:
I, too, am interested in favorite resources!

I only have a minute but I wanted to mention that one of my absolute favorite High School resources is Macbeth's High School science suggestions.

We read the books (most are available through my local library) discuss the topics and write papers on them.

ALL my high schoolers (4 so far) have enjoyed doing high school science this way and felt they learned a lot. We supplement with an actual dissection lab class locally and it's worked very well.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 09 2010 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Thank you, Michele! So nice to have someone actually name something concrete that has worked for them!

Donna Marie, I just wanted to say that you are not alone in feeling this way. I, too, have been looking for recommended resources and inspiration for continuing on with CM methods for the high school years. . .and not coming up with much.

I have been working through the planning guide at Simply Charlotte Mason and that has helped me quite a bit the past couple weeks. For the sake of sanity and simplicity, my 10th grade daughter and 9th grade son will be combined for their subjects, with the exceptions of science and math. My goal is give them a broad education for high school, being sure to include art & music appreciation, literature, religion, history; to include at least 2 lab sciences for each; 2 years of foreign language (Latin); and as far with math as they can go.

Some resources we'll be using this year are:
Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings
Middle Ages history using the SCM guide & tweaking; making a Book of Centuries
Easy Grammar Plus
Written narrations
Religion - Reading through "This is the Faith" and "The Incredible Catholic Mass" plus saint biographies
Science - I have one studying Geology using "Discover Nature in the Rocks" and "The Seashell on the Mountain"; also pulling ideas from Creation Geology from Media Angels. The other is using a Physical Science textbook.
Art & Music - Harmony Art Mom lesson plans
Latin - still looking
Math - still looking

My hope is to fulfill basic requirements for a college prep education, but to plate it up with a CM flair while tailoring to each student's interest. For instance, my daughter was bored to tears with her physical text this past year. I let her select a field of study for science this year, and she selected Geology. From there, I began looking for resources. My son picked up her discarded text and said, "Huh. This looks good. Can I do this?" Next year I will have them do a lab Biology together.

I also have to tailor things for my situation - as a single homeschooling mom who works part-time, I find things flow much more smoothly when they are combined in as many areas as possible. Don't know if any of this was helpful, but it has helped me to know I'm not the only one researching and praying!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2010 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

DonnaMarie wrote:
When it comes to planning your curriculum for your teen, how do you decide what to use? I know a lot of us use 'living books' and such. But what do YOU use as your inspiration when planning? .........Is there any source of wisdom that you have found particularly helpful in this area? What is your philosophy?

Our decision on what to use is heavily influenced by our overall goal, for all our children to be thinkers, and to be able to articulate well in both the spoken and written language.(goal besides Heaven that is, but not separate)

Whenever we choose any material it is with the eye to whether it is well written, well structured and interesting. If we choose a dud (and that happens) I have no problem in putting it aside. If the children are finding a resource so dry and can put forth their argument well as to why it is not working for them we will search for another.

Because our family is a 'book family' we are heavily literature based. Some of the children do like textbooks but they must be written in a living book style (tall order to please)

This year I have streamlined my children's learning more simply due to logistics of a large family, it has its pluses and minuses. This has meant that my three highschoolers have used textbooks for some subjects.

DonnaMarie wrote:
How do you make sure that you cover all of your bases? What bases should be covered? How do you make sure that they have what they need before they 'graduate'?

We believe they should have a solid grounding in Maths and English and a basic knowledge of Science, History and Geography. Also exposure to Creative and Practical Arts. By this age many tend to show a particular leaning towards an area, so we tend to encourage that but not at the expense of a broader grounding. For example ds15 is very keen on fantasy, in fact he has been writing a novel for the past 18mths, whilst lots of time is spent on this pursuit, we also insist that he does his maths. As we tell him, whilst he may well publish his book one day in the mean time he has to support himself(and family), so he best not 'put all his eggs in the one basket.'

If you are interested in more detailed planning, see here but that doesn't always translate to the reality
I did talk about our geography success a short while ago.

JennyMaine, a question for you.

I have the offer of a lend of Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings for ds15 a year. Dh and I are a little concerned whether it would be too much focus on fantasy yet again considering he is already engrossed. What do you think? If I was too be honest I'd be less worried if his passion was marine biology.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 10 2010 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Erin, I will look at your links. I'm always grateful when anyone shares a resource which worked for them - text, literature, helpful website. . .it's all good because it helps narrow the field for the rest of us.

I would highly suggest that you snatch up the offer for Literary Lessons from LOTR and have a look at it yourself. If your son is shaping up to really enjoy writing, I think he'd be enriched by it. I have no problems with us just living in LOTR for a year of literature study and calling it "Introduction to Literary Analysis" on the transcript. I purchased my set used several years ago. And I waited for the right time. I'm very excited to be able to use it with both my high schoolers this year!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version