Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: NARS(North Atlantic Regional High school) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 26 2010 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Anyone use this school? Looked into it? Have opinions? :-)
I am considering it for dd14. I am not sure what they do, though, other than take the work I submit and turn it into an official looking transcript and issue her a diploma. Do I need someone to do this?

Maybe what I really need right now is a pep talk telling me why I DON'T need to sign up with them. Most, if not all, of my daughter's classes are going to be self-designed. Can I really do that on my own, make a transcript and give her a diploma that will stand up to scrutiny? Have any of you graduated a student with a home-grown curriculum?

We do intend her to start working on community college classes around age 16, with an eye to finishing her associates degree around 18 or 19. This would mostly negate the need for a diploma, but as NARHS has on their website, some organizations insist on that piece of paper. Would a homemade diploma be acceptable?

I am not the most organized person in the world. I fear relying on myself and then being faced with a big mess that I have to put together in four years.

For anyone interested in it, the prices are going up and they will no longer be grandfathering enrolled students. Up until now, if you were enrolled, your tuition would not go up even if they raised the rates. If you register by May28, you get a $125 discount and will qualify for grandfathering, by June 18, you will get a $100 discount and grandfathering, by June 30, a $50 discount and grandfathering. The new prices go into effect August 31.

I need to figure out quickly if it is worth the money for me. I would gladly let someone handle the paperwork!

Thanks!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Molly - we looked at NARHS and decided it was not worth the cost. I have figured out that we can do our own transcript. I have lots to write after all the research - but no time right now - I will try and come back this weekend.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I should add that I have not graduated any children yet - so you might want the opinion of someone who actually has. Also that enrolling with Kolbe (who is very flexible with your program) is cheaper than NARHS.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Marilyn,
How flexible is Kolbe, really? If I want to design my own religion classes based on Scott Hahn and Peter Kreeft books, would they accept that? What about self-designed literature courses? Community college courses?

I was thinking Kolbe, but thought that if I had to buy most of their books and study guides it would end up costing me more than hand-picked courses and letting NARS keep the records.

Thanks for your input. I am really on the fence!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 03 2010 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Molly,

Our oldest is currently just finishing up 11th grade and has already completed 9 credits at our local community college. He is already registered for 3 classes in the Fall. From what I have read, once a child earns at least 15 college credits, the need for that high school diploma really begins to fade. Most especially if the student completes an Associate's Degree, that AA or AS is the piece of paper people will be wanting to see.

We had been looking at enrolling our two oldest (just finishing 11th and 9th) in Kolbe, but honestly, instead of full enrollment with Kolbe or any school, we have decided to invest in the college courses instead. They do "double duty" for a high school student, fulfilling the requirements for both high school (for our State umbrella) as well as earning college credits.

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version