Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Siblings Help 'Teach' Each Other Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 17 2010 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

There are areas of teaching logistics that seem to take me a rather long to time grasp. When I finally have my moment of 'illumination' I wonder why on earth I didn't think of it sooner.

Recently I've noted my children 'teaching' one another more frequently. For years I have struggled as I dashed from child to child, and had disgruntled children who are held up waiting for mum.

In the last month as I've watched my dc 10 & 8 give dictation and spelling lessons to one another it has dawned on me that this is how children in one room school houses have been doing it for centuries.   I can't help but realise that by teaching they are also learning. So why did it take me this long??

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2010 at 12:50am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

It took this long because so many of us (ME at times too!) are so stuck in how we grew up - that we are not there to support one another, but to focus on our own work. Or we'd only help each other out when the teacher directed us to do so.

I went through Montessori training and worked in Montessori schools where this is what the children DO all. the. time. And yet, I still miss those opportunities from time to time!

Just enjoy it now that you've discovered it!

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2010 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I've noticed my kids seem to learn better when a sibling explains it. Maybe they speak each other's language . My 2yo is slow to talk but will sit there with my dd for an hour and go through picture flash cards, repeating the name of each picture after her. I also heard my 9yo explaining to my 6yo about how anything times 0 is always 0 while they were sitting on the top of the swingset yesterday.
That being said, if I "plan" these things, ie - "Sarah go and teach your brother how to divide" it doesn't seem to work as well. It always seems to work better here when they are just together anyway and it naturally comes up. I could see where a Montessori environment would lend itself to that sort of thing.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2010 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We have a smaller family, but I do find older ds is always trying to teach his little brother in all ways. It is so wonderful to watch.

I have often wondered how much of our children's personalities are shaped by the sibling interaction.

I agree, it does happen so much in Montessori, but I think that ideally home and family life, if the child is truly immersed, is a bit what Maria Montessori was imitating in the classroom. It is a little more "sterilized" but it is an imitation of life.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 18 2010 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
I agree, it does happen so much in Montessori, but I think that ideally home and family life, if the child is truly immersed, is a bit what Maria Montessori was imitating in the classroom. It is a little more "sterilized" but it is an imitation of life.

I agree so much!

It has been so wonderful to see my dd voluntarily work with the younger two children at times. In fact, last year, I put her in charge of many of the Montessori presentations and she helped me keep the shelves ordered and assisted in rotating items in and out. My older son really enjoys helping out as well!

It really is a delight to watch my children grow in relationship with each other in these ways.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2010 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

This is a huge help to me. My older dd loves teaching (wants to be a teacher) and will readily help the younger children.

My oldest (24) is teaching a math lesson to his 10 yr. old sister right now.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2010 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

It's great, isn't it?! It's also the only way my kids havre learned to ride a two-wheeler as well... by another kid teaching them.

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2010 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

This has been something on my mind as well, too.

My four-year-old is starting to read three-letter words, and I have been intentionally avoiding giving her any reading lessons. But, she and her seven-year-old "play school" where big sister is "teaching" her how to read.

This gives me a lot of food for thought for when I do start formal work with the four-year-old...and when we have four kids we're homeschooling.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2010 at 1:23am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

My 13 year old is the science teacher in our house - has been since about 9 or 10 and we discovered that not only was it a passion - but it is a real gift he has.

My 2nd dd has always been the craft and project organizer. She draws everyone in because she is plain so much fun. Her passion was history so there were a lot of history projects which helped draw in other chidlren.

My older children were always answering questions - what is this word, what is .... and that is how one of my children learned to read.

My oldest son is all about airplanes. He has taught his brothers a bunch of airplane stuff (weather. lift, drag, ....) and they make awesome airplanes (using military specs to imitate the design and capabilities of these real aircraft). He also does a lot of the physical training (subtley and indirectly and sometimes by just inpiring competition). He is the one who printed physical fitness information off and began doing these things - or basketball ....

My oldest dd is the music coach. She teaches me what to look for in technique and other things when they practice between lessons - and was the one that clued me in that one dd was turning on the metronome just to make me believe she was practicing with it - but was ignoring it. She gave little mini lessons when the younger children were really young and just wanted to try out things. She also taught the youngers to read music, and to dance.

We have a house full of individuals with very obvious passions. Without each other, we would be very one sided.

I don't know why it took a while for me to discover this but I do think that some of it has to do with having an older child who is old enough and enough relaxed time for these things to just happen.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 19 2010 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

CatholicMommy wrote:

I went through Montessori training and worked in Montessori schools where this is what the children DO all. the. time. And yet, I still miss those opportunities from time to time!

Do you know, I hadn't stopped to think about this!! Food for thought.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version