Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: integrating paper and paperless Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 15 2010 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm looking for ideas on gaining the benefits - the best of both worlds - of paper and paperless planners/calendars. I went paperless in the fall...almost. I keep my tasks and calendar on Outlook. But I do menu planning on paper as well as keep homeschooling notes, in a notebook...a plain notebook, ugh.

If you use both paper planners/calendars and paperless planners/calendars (especially Outlook), how do you integrate them? How do you keep from repeating tasks - writing the same thing in both places? Or is repeating helful under some circumstance? Are there some planning tasks that you prefer to do on paper and others as paperless?

Something still feels like it is missing for me. I'm practical to a fault and am wondering if it could be the lack of pretty and the tactile experience of holding a "book" that is missing?

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 15 2010 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

The missing thing for me is that I'd have to pay an extra $30 a month to be able to sync my phone and calendar, and I'd still want to print out a calender to post for everyone to see.

So I do duplicate my calender in my phone.. because without it, I'd never remember on time or the right day exactly where I was supposed to be and when

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 15 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I display our calendar on my computer screen in our family living room - that seems to be working. Mine is synced to my phone, thank goodness, as part of a package deal (although my emails aren't syncing correctly but that's another little irritating subject .)

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2010 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Angie,
I think I know that feeling, that something is missing. I mostly do my homeschool planning on the computer, and I do tend to print out a copy of whatever master plan (like my multi-level history plans) I'm devising and place it in a binder. That said, I very rarely refer to the binder, since the weekly plans I make for the kids are now online at Homeschool Skedrack.

Still, though, I do like that feeling of having something neatly laid out in front of me to flip though Scrolling just isn't the same!

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 16 2010 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

DH is always encouraging paperless, but it doesn't really work so well for me. I love to look at paper! For me, using paper has the advantage that if I write things out, they are then half-way in my memory. Doesn't work with keyboarding. So, I write things out on paper and then I'm much more likely to remember them, or at least to remember that I'm supposed to be remembering something.

Peace,
Nancy

ETA: The closest I've come to integrating the two is to locate something on the computer and then print it out in order to use it.
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 16 2010 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

My husband has kept financial records on the computer for years (since before we met), but he keeps threatening to go buy a ledger book.

In many ways it is easier, but in some ways, I think it is more work?

Anyway, I struggle with this, too. I must admit, I need to print out anything I do on the computer in order for it to get used.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 16 2010 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angie Mc wrote:
I'm practical to a fault and am wondering if it could be the lack of pretty and the tactile experience of holding a "book" that is missing?

I can relate to this!

I'll describe my system if it helps. I REALLY enjoy the benefits of technology, but I'm also a paper/pencil gal and I integrate the two in a way that works for me and our family.

Technology - Paperless Planning
** I build/create my lesson plans in a calendar based program. I use ical for macs, but it really doesn't matter which one you use, I enjoy that I can layer calendars (sets of plans). I can build plans for multiple children with ease, one at a time. The plans I build are not completely detailed, but rather a fairly detailed skeleton/framework. I enjoy this approach because it allows me to be thoughtful in planning, while also allowing room for flexibility/spontaneity in the living out of those plans. It's how we work best. I print my calendar plans weekly and further detail them in writing (more on that below).

** My online file cabinet is my email inbox. I create several mailboxes to sort within (I'm embarrassed to tell you how many I have ). These mailboxes provide a visual place for ideas, information, and projects to land. I sometimes email myself a note, or move pertinent emails to special boxes to save. I keep recipes here that I hear about and want to try, book recommendations I haven't yet sorted into my Amazon wishlist organizer, project lists, records of my online food co-op/buying club orders, local homeschool group goings-on, and because we're very rural I make use of A LOT of online ordering, I keep a special mailbox for keeping up with online orders and their status...and many more. All this within my email inbox. I can set up rules for my email program to automatically sort some emails as they come in for me. It works well for me!!!

** Special tid-bits of saveable information I keep in *stickies* - not the paper kind, I have a program on my computer called stickies...think sticky notes for the computer. I can sort them, format them, organize them. The program lives in my dock on my desktop so it is again visually up-front and I use it frequently. I keep quotes I like here, all of those RIDICULOUS usernames and passwords you have to keep up with to register with various websites - all documented and sorted on a sticky for me. I have stickies containing information for rare and out of print books I'm hunting for, I use one to assemble wish lists around Christmas, and one that has specific information about my blog (color hex codes). This could all be easily done within my email inbox file system...but for some reason it makes sense to keep them here...so I do.

So...that's all my technology assisted planning. I don't yet have a techie phone...it's definitely on my radar, but hasn't yet made itself a priority. The key to my system is that my paper calendar planner, my home education notebook, and my laptop/tech planning all live right next to each other so I can coordinate and use all three together.

Paper Planning
** My Home Education Notebook is a special notebook that I assemble every year. It has to be pretty or I won't use it.    You can see a picture of it here if you're interested. It doesn't really matter what mine looks like, but having a notebook for paper items to land is essential for me. I like making lists and formatting ideas and outlines on my computer, but when it comes to using them and living them, I prefer to have a print copy to refer to right at my finger tips and make little pencil notes on. An example would be my history plans which I type up in detail. I print them and include them in my notebook so that they're right at hand for reference when I pencil in detailed plans for the kids each week. I check off books read, projects completed, making notes on the history document itself as I go. I do this for a few subjects.

One of the most important elements within my notebook are the lesson plans I print each week from my calendar program. I print each child's plans as well as our *together* plans and keep them in a special place in my notebook. I print on Thursday of each week, and fill in details on Thurs/Friday for the upcoming week. I meet with each of the children at the end of the week to reflect on their work and so that they have input about their upcoming week. We make decisions together (with my guidance), but the children do feel a sense of ownership/partnership in these plans which makes them work better for us.

I also keep a small file basket on my desk for filing work and containing a few other bits of information that need to be at-hand, but all reference lists and outlines and lesson plans are here in my home ed notebook which is opened and used EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.

** For my household planning and management I have a few paper oriented tools that I'm finding work well for me. My goal was to make home management planning INTUITIVE!!! If it's not intuitive, it doesn't land where it's supposed to and doesn't work for our family. Since I'm the family coordinator , it has to be intuitive for me!
  • Calendar/Planner - I use the large planner from Family Centered Press and find that it works best for my everyday management/coordinate the family needs. I like the large version because there is room for plenty of notes. I jot daily goings-on (to-do's ballgames, appointments, meetings, deadlines, etc) in the lined section for the day. I used to have a specific page I made that I planned my menus on and kept on my clipboard...but then I decided that it was one too many pieces of paper and I needed to streamline. I use the small blank white section which is provided on the calendar to the left or right of each day (there is an ample white square next to each day) to plan and write my menus. This works for me because I can see at a glance what is going on for a particular day - special feast, fasting day, day full of appointments in need of super-easy meal, etc.
  • Clipboard - I keep my *master menu list* here (this is different from the menus I jot down for the week...this is a seasonal menu list that reflects about 20 or so meals I rotate through for the season. I pull meals and ideas from this when I build weekly menus.) I also keep a listing of in-season fruits and veggies, my current food buying club order, chore lists, etc. If it's current and applies to home management *right now* it lives on this clipboard.
  • Home Management Box - this is a reference tool for me mostly. I use it to hold contact information, medical info, articles on nutrition/household management I want to save, important receipts, master house cleaning lists (these are deep cleaning lists, not weekly cleaning lists), recipes for creating at-home cleaning supplies, maintenance schedules for various appliances/cars.

I think that's it. My paper/paperless integration system. Good luck finding something that works great for you and your family, Angie!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2010 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I was just reading at Willa's blog about how she is creating a blog/lesson planner for her 9th grader. I have to go back and read some more but I'm intrigued!

I am one who needs to actually hold the paper in my hands, but, I like the efficiency of the computer so I do alot in Word and then print it off. My printer is suffering now from being overworked . My husband can't figure out why I have to print everything, but I just do.
So I have various filing things around here - clipboards, baskets, binders etc. I think it sounds chaotic when I try to describe it all, but it works for me!
Jennifer, I really like the idea of using your email inbox for an on-line file cabinet. I have a TON of items that I put in "Favorites" just so I don't lose them. Would you put those in the email box as well? Or would they be a separate thing?
And, can you describe what you mean by intuitive?

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 21 2010 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Hi Becky!

Becky Parker wrote:
Jennifer, I really like the idea of using your email inbox for an on-line file cabinet. I have a TON of items that I put in "Favorites" just so I don't lose them. Would you put those in the email box as well? Or would they be a separate thing?

It depends on what you mean. I'm *guessing* you're talking about websites you find for various ideas and inspiration, right? It sort of depends. Right now, I'm assembling some ideas and plans for next year. I don't really need a whole set of bookmarks of *Favorites* for that though because I'll only be cataloging various ideas for next year for the next month or so while I work to look at options, consider, discern. So...I have created a *mailbox* in my email that says "PLANNING 2010". I drop links in here for various sites. An example might be a resource site for something - history let's say...I'd email myself a link to the site and list the books I'd like to go back and take a closer look at. This works well for me if a site doesn't offer a paper catalog and helps me narrow down in planning and discerning.

I'll also email myself sites and links that will be of help for next year's subject matter, science and history topics, music, etc. Later, I'll organize these into bookmarks in my web browser. If I get an email notification from 4Real with a neat book or idea I might want to incorporate for next year, I zing it over to my mailbox so I don't lose it.

I've also started saving a few Mary Vitamins in a special Virtue Development Mailbox since I'm working on a couple of specific virtues.

Becky Parker wrote:

Sure, Becky! Intuitive by definition means: instinctive, easy to understand. I'll use my menus as an example. I had created a special page to list my weekly menu plans, and it was a nice page, but I realized it was extra work. I was already using my daily planner/calendar and referring to it many times during the day, so it seemed instinctive/easy/natural/intuitive that I could list my weekly menu plans there.

The idea of making my plans more intuitive helped me make my original home management binder work more for me. This binder was too big and cumbersome to be used on a daily basis, yet I found it helpful. Trying to be honest with myself and how I used things, I changed the binder to a box, used it as more of a very useful reference tool, and streamlined the number of papers I was trying to manage at once. If it's intuitive/natural/easy/instinctive I'm more likely to use it and it becomes a habit. If I try to incorporate an idea that *looks nice* (and hey, it might work great and be really intuitive for someone else!!!) or SEEMS like this is how I SHOULD BE WORKING...but it isn't INTUITIVE TO ME IN APPLICATION (where the rubber meets the road ), I will likely NOT apply it and it will languish.

Does that make sense? Intuitive is personal, and isn't necessarily a reflection of me dismissing an idea or practical application of something as *not good*...it is more in line with me trying to *know myself* and apply ideas (which are good) in ways that practically speaking make sense to me and are....well...intuitive. It's really just a different way of expressing the idea...take an idea and MAKE IT WORK FOR YOU!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 21 2010 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

the things that have worked and not worked for me:

Toodledo. Electronic, can be printed out if you want paper. Easy to sync between iPod touch and online/PC. downfall: if I don't have the iPod touch with me, it's easy to forget what's priority and what isn't. con: tapping something to mark it "done" just isn't as satisfying for me psychologically as crossing things off a list. it's also annoying that toodledo will add another thing to your list (as the repeat task) right after you check off one, so the feeling of never catching up is there. Toodledo Link

Google Calendar. Ten Thumbs up for this! Ten because there's 5 of us now (family) using Google calendar. We all add our own scheds, invite each other, etc. Hubby uses Outlook at work but it integrates seamlessly. Life is certainly stressful now that we have this down. Google Calendar Link

Menu planning -- I've done various things with this -- spreadsheets, homemade "pretty" pages, Franklin-Covey pages, etc. The best page I've found -- simple, unfussy, effective, efficient, is a page from Abby Sasscer's Simplify Your Domestic Church. I don't know why, since I've done so many similar pages by/for myself in the past, but for some reason this one just CLICKED. link to Abby Sasscer's e-book

Lesson planning -- HUH??? Seriously. I've tried detailed lesson plans, spreadsheet schedules, goal setting sheets, booklists, calendars, etc. The only thing that has ever worked for us is a plan at the beginning of the year, periodic checking and basically letting the kids do their own schedule. That said, I have a basic schedule I've had them memorize:

Daily lessons = RELM (Religion, English, Latin, Math)
+ Music on Mondays
+ Art on Fridays
+ Science on Tuesdays and Thursdays
+ History on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays

Sometimes they follow to the letter, sometimes they don't. When they want a reward they're more diligent about getting things done.

I know that last bit about lesson planning doesn't answer your question -- but we tried both electronic and paper for that and nothing seemed to work until I came up with the acronym and had them memorize it. This freed up my mind as well.

Just this morning I put away/donated/trashed several notebooks/binders that I had been using off and on for planning. It wasn't funny the number of systems I tried before finding the ones that work for me.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 21 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I use computer for alot of organising but am often printing and posting lists on the fridge for family benefit. The month's menu is on the fridge, that sort of list.

I also purchased an A5 pretty spiral notebook that is divided into three tabs. One section is for book recs, another for ideas etc. This way at least part of the book can be used for longer than a year.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2010 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Mackfam wrote:

Becky Parker wrote:

Sure, Becky! Intuitive by definition means: instinctive, easy to understand. I'll use my menus as an example. I had created a special page to list my weekly menu plans, and it was a nice page, but I realized it was extra work. I was already using my daily planner/calendar and referring to it many times during the day, so it seemed instinctive/easy/natural/intuitive that I could list my weekly menu plans there.

If it's intuitive/natural/easy/instinctive I'm more likely to use it and it becomes a habit. If I try to incorporate an idea that *looks nice* (and hey, it might work great and be really intuitive for someone else!!!) or SEEMS like this is how I SHOULD BE WORKING...but it isn't INTUITIVE TO ME IN APPLICATION (where the rubber meets the road ), I will likely NOT apply it and it will languish.

Does that make sense?

Yes, thanks for answering my questions Jennifer!

I can see where using an email file for planning the coming school year would be very helpful. It will help me clean out my *favorites* file of things that are really only temporary.

As far as having an intuitive system, I guess that is what I'm striving for without knowing the terminology for it! Your menu example is a perfect one because I have written out menus AND had them in my planner as well. As you said, it was just extra work. Right now, I'm trying to make my planner more intuitive. I have the Catholic Woman's planner, which I love, but I only use the monthly calendar pages on a regular basis. Besides the menus that I write and referencing the daily Mass readings and feast days, I really feel like I'm wasting all those wonderful pages in between. But if I don't naturally take the time to open the book to those pages, it doesn't seem natural for me to write anything there. So, I use a notebook to write my to do lists and have that open next to my planner. I know that sounds just silly, but
I guess that's what is intuitive for me.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2010 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Angie Mc wrote:

Something still feels like it is missing for me. I'm practical to a fault and am wondering if it could be the lack of pretty and the tactile experience of holding a "book" that is missing?

Angie, referring back to your question, I think the above quote is me to a "T" when I try to go paperless. I wonder if it has something to do with our learning styles? I can see the different learning styles in my kids and I try to adjust our school resources for each of them, but I never really think about my own style and what I need. I find if I don't go through the process of writing something down, with pen and paper, I forget it. Doing things on the computer is nice, but I often forget to check a calendar I have set up there. I have tried the sticky note thing, but there again, if I don't go over to the computer I don't even think to check what my sticky notes are. (Of course, I don't have a lap top so that might make the difference too.)
And, for me, the "lack of pretty" as you say makes a huge difference. I discovered this not too long ago. I switched my menus over to the spring menus and to do so I pulled out last year's spring menus. I forgot that last year I had typed the page up in a pretty font, printed it, and decorated it with pretty spring flower stickers. It made me smile just to look at the page! It's amazing how a few stickers became such an uplifting thing in my day. It's hard for me to make things attractive on the computer, at least attractive for my personal taste. My husband likes clean lines and simplicity. I like swirls, flowers and lots of color!
I'm not sure where I am going with all of this, just commenting with my experience though.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2010 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I just printed out this thread so I could read it more thoroughly. Does that say something about me?

After reading Jen's description of how she used her email mailboxes, it occurred to me that last year about this time I had started fooling around with Microsoft One Note. This afternoon I opened it up and, lo and behold, there were two "notebooks" I'd created: one for school planning and one for home ideas. I remember being very excited and showing my dh how you could use One Note notebooks to keep track of all those ideas you're always stumbling upon online.

The punchline is: the notebooks were almost empty because I had forgotten to use them.

I don't do very well with computer-based calendars, etc., because I need organizers to be right in front of my face in order for me to remember to use them. Paper planners don't work for me either, because they're too easy to forget under stacks of stuff. I also have been relegated to using the top of the microwave as my "desk". I have my Latin teacher manuals there and also my Homeschooler's Journal, which is always open on top so I remember to jot notes about our days. I use a Catholic wall calendar with nice art and saints' days to write down appointments, etc. It hangs in the kitchen where it's visible and usable to everyone. I've also gone back to making daily to-do lists for myself on a pretty magnet-backed pad of paper that hangs on the refrigerator door. I use this same pad to write down menus every week. I tear off the page and hang it by its own magnet.

All this seems hopelessly old-fashioned, but anything more complicated just seems like too much work. But as usual this time of year I start thinking about how to keep my school planning more organized. I don't write in-depth lesson plans, but I do need to keep track of a lot of information: books, kits, projects, web sites, art ideas... etc., etc. I often do print out informative articles (and threads like this one) and I need to keep track of those,too. The printouts usually end up in some sort of binder or notebook (I like Circa notebooks because you can punch lots of different sizes of paper, including business cards, to fit in the notebook), but I need a better place to keep them accessible.(Maybe when we move.) Also, the Circa spines are just like spirals.

Which still leaves all the online stuff,and makes me think I should give One Note another try. Does anybody else use One Note?

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 24 2010 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Angela,

I do think I'm hopelessly old fashioned, too. I know that if I were to use a computer-based system, One-Note seems most intuitive, but I just can't keep up.

I agree, Angela, it is ideal for sorting things online and on the computer. It is worth revisiting.

Now, my husband brought home the I-pod touch from work, and I am smitten, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost since I am SUCH a klutz. I just broke the screen on the laptop for the SECOND time; so, if it isn't my children destroying things, its me. I did tell my husband that was the gift I wanted for birthing our next child, lol.

I have been looking at the Circa for about 6 months now. My fear is what happens when a baby gets a hold of the notebook. I think I would prefer a homemade notebook in many cases over a binder. Binders can be so bulky and awkward since you can't fold over backwards.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 01 2010 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thanks so much for your ideas! Here's what I've decided...

I'm going to keep all the paperless that is working for us +

our home education notebook +

Michelle's Planner for just me - pretty!

I'll update once I streamline a few things and put this plan into action.

Love,

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version