Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Weeding out Christmas twaddle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

In the past seven years we have accumulated quite a lot of Christmas books.
But looking through them, I must admit some are very twaddly (Clifford's Christmas ).

This weekend I started to go through and pull out the ones that I thought needed to go. And that left me with ones that were
1. Overall pretty heavy or serious
and
2. Nativity Stories

Hmm.. I think I am going to have to redefine my standards for Christmas Twaddle, because I can't just keep reading one nativity story after another- or stories like The Crippled Lamb or The Clown of God, which are lovely but heavy.

Any thoughts? What have you all done to tweak your collections over the years?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

There are so many!
One of our favorite authors, Jann Brett, has some wonderful Christmas-themed books. They are not religious in nature, but they are certainly not twaddle.You might start with these.

I also add in books about winter or snow to the Christmas stash. Bringing them out of storage at Christmas time makes them more special, too.
ETA: Check out this thread here:favorite Christmas books

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

lapazfarm wrote:
There are so many!
One of our favorite authors, Jann Brett, has some wonderful Christmas-themed books. They are not religious in nature, but they are certainly not twaddle.You might start with these.

i was going to suggest Jan Brett too. we have three of her stories on our Christmas School calendar.

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I have an illustrated adaptation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight I pulled out for Christmas. Like Theresa rec'd, I pulled out The Big Snow to put into circulation around CHristmas. And of course, you either love or hate Babar, and since my children love him, Babar and Father Christmas seems appropriate for the season as well. I also have an old book of Christmas poems, Christmas Bells are Ringing and a little illustrated "Visit From St. Nicholas", which I'll put out.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thinking of what I like, I guess I'm more heavy on the Nativity side. We do have some secular titles that round out some fun.

Some are from Tomie dePaola, and a few Jan Brett.

Jack Kent "Twelve Days of Christmas" (and other versions)

"The Night Before Christmas" different versions

"Christmas in Noisy Village" by Lindgren

"Shall I Knit You A Christmas Hat" we loved

Those were some on top of my head.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I guess I am striving to achieve some type of balance between meaningful/reverential books, seasonal (snow, etc) books, and plain old twaddle that the kids like but I don't.

There is some guilt mixed in... if they like Clifford's Christmas, should I let it stay?

I have pretty much decided that if *I* don't enjoy reading the book aloud, then it has to go. There are too many good ones to waste time on the marginal ones.

I don't know why I am having such a hard time with this

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Why limit yourself by sorting alone.. why not ask your kids to pick their favorite 3 or 4 books.. that could help you figure out which "twaddle" would be missed if you did get rid of it. Maybe ask your dh too for his favorites. That could help balance your tendency for only the heavier and nativity books.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I tend to have Advent/Christmas books that fall into one of two categories - liturgical (those that focus or point to the Nativity or other Feasts of Advent) and seasonal (books like Jan Brett or general winter type books).

In general, this is pretty reflective of our year-round reading - there is almost always something pointing to the liturgical year and something that points to the seasonal year.

The greatest emphasis is always on the liturgical picture books, as special time is carved out of our day and set aside for reading these. Our traditions and evening prayers tend to connect to these. I love reading the other books as well though, but I read these throughout the day and as Jodie suggests, I invite the children to select one for reading. I set out a grouping of books that sometimes changes weekly, sometimes monthly - a kind of book display. The children choose from the books I have displayed...not always, but usually. Occasionally, someone will bring me Blueberries for Sal (not that that is twaddle!) in the middle of Advent...it's so hard for me to read! It's almost like forcing me to make chili in the summer...I.cannot.do.it. Anyway, back to your question rather than my silly hang-ups, Melinda ...I suppose I'd gather ALL my books - group them into Advent and Christmas and from there group them into liturgical/faith/reverent and seasonal/fun. Then, spread them out in a way that feels more comfortable for your family's tastes.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2009 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

We have "The Night before Christmas" and "The Nutcracker" in several different versions.   What about "A Christmas Carol"? Also, lots of St. Nicholas stories.

I also found this book at Half Price Books for $1.50 and my 2 yo has me read it 2-3x a day now!! The big kids even like it!

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Big-Woods-Little-House/dp/00 64434877/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260305790&sr=8-7

Last, we're doing a sticker study guide I bought thru Fortunately for you Books to S is for Star. It's reallllly good like all those other alphabet books.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Christmas-Cynthia-Furlong-Reynold s/dp/1585362476/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260305930&sr =1-1

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2009 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I think its nice to alternate book like Jan Brett's with the heavier titles. You are right. It can feel too heavy.

I'd check the Clifford book to see what the message is about Christmas. I dvr PBS's Curious George for some of my littles and ended up with the DUMBEST Christmas "special" I have EVER seen. Pure twaddle.

On a related note, do you ever feel weird reading beloved Christmas stories with little kids that represent the wrong image of Santa Claus/St. Nicholas? I'm thinking here of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. We've worked so hard for our kids to understand that Santa *is* St. Nicholas, that he was a real man, a bishop...that he is in Heaven right now, loving Jesus, etc. I'm afraid to read book that show the consumer Santa because they already get so much of that already. This is just with the littles, of course. The older ones understand.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2009 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Yes, part of my wanting to weed out is my annoyance with the commercial Santa stories.

So far I've taken out the Clifford books, anything with Barney and Santa, and a few others that are just pure twaddle (one is a pop up book of Charlie Chimps Christmas . That one was a gift, and my dc loved it, but now I think they have forgotten about it, so it will quietly exit the house....

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2009 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bookswithtea wrote:
On a related note, do you ever feel weird reading beloved Christmas stories with little kids that represent the wrong image of Santa Claus/St. Nicholas? I'm thinking here of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. We've worked so hard for our kids to understand that Santa *is* St. Nicholas, that he was a real man, a bishop...that he is in Heaven right now, loving Jesus, etc. I'm afraid to read book that show the consumer Santa because they already get so much of that already. This is just with the littles, of course. The older ones understand.

I don't know, Books. I keep it in our rotation. It's part of our poetry for Christmas -- my son had it memorized at 2 1/2 and recited it for us. We "do" Santa here, but do refer to him as St. Nicholas pretty interchangeably, so that is pretty seamless.

It all depends on your comfort level, not a right or wrong. If I start cutting out all the inaccuracies and magical stories, our pile will get to be only heavy books.

I do like to keep some of the seasonal books for later, after Christmas (The Mitten, snow books, etc.) because there's that lull after Christmas that I definitely want to fill.

SeaStar wrote:
Yes, part of my wanting to weed out is my annoyance with the commercial Santa stories.

So far I've taken out the Clifford books, anything with Barney and Santa, and a few others that are just pure twaddle (one is a pop up book of Charlie Chimps Christmas . That one was a gift, and my dc loved it, but now I think they have forgotten about it, so it will quietly exit the house....

I think I have that Clifford book and it got "lost". Those you list are pretty no-brainers. I just hate when they ask for them.

It's those "gray" area books, like some of dePaola's on Santa, that make it harder to decide if twaddle or not.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2009 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

JennGM wrote:
I think I have that Clifford book and it got "lost". Those you list are pretty no-brainers. I just hate when they ask for them.

It's those "gray" area books, like some of dePaola's on Santa, that make it harder to decide if twaddle or not.

Oh, yes- last year I picked up one of dePaola's Santa stories... I think it was something like :Guess Who is Coming to Our House for Dinner?
It was totally I was shocked- my first lemon from him, and I had bought it just going on the strength of his name. It wasn't in our house long enough to be asked for more than a couple of times.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2009 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SeaStar wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Oh, yes- last year I picked up one of dePaola's Santa stories... I think it was something like :Guess Who is Coming to Our House for Dinner?
It was totally I was shocked- my first lemon from him, and I had bought it just going on the strength of his name. It wasn't in our house long enough to be asked for more than a couple of times.

That is EXACTLY the one I had in mind when I typed that. I picked a copy (used) at some point based on the author, and it hasn't surfaced yet in our reading.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 1:53am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bookswithtea wrote:

On a related note, do you ever feel weird reading beloved Christmas stories with little kids that represent the wrong image of Santa Claus/St. Nicholas? I'm thinking here of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.

I love the Night Before Christmas. I don't have a problem with including it. It is such a classic poem/story of Christmas time. Kathryn mentioned the different versions of this and of the Nutcracker. Last year we checked out as many versions of Clement Moore's poem as we could get ahold of - maybe 20 or so. It was really fun to compare and contrast the illustrative interpretation of the original. There are some amazing artists that have taken a stab at this, Tudor, Brett, Grandma Moses, dePaola, Engelbreit, Spirin, Sabuda, Fugikawa, Tavares, Whatley to name a few. then there are all the variations off the original which can be quite funny - too many to name.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

SeaStar wrote:

DITTO!! We got it home, read it, and immediately put it in the library donation pile.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Paula in MN wrote:
SeaStar wrote:

DITTO!! We got it home, read it, and immediately put it in the library donation pile.

It's too funny that we all hated that one .
I felt so guilty about not liking it... though I still can't believe he put that one out there. What was he thinking ?

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

OK, now you've all got me curious. What is so awful about this book?

~Books

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Bookswithtea wrote:
OK, now you've all got me curious. What is so awful about this book?

It is the story of a family Christmas get together. The family is quite, um... dysfunctional? Not fun to read about.   

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

SeaStar wrote:

It is the story of a family Christmas get together. The family is quite, um... dysfunctional? Not fun to read about.   

Bummer. We are reading Guess Who Is Coming to Our House (said the mouse, the mouse) all week. I am anxiously awaiting my Amazon order with de Paola's The Friendly Beasts to read next (and my St. Lucia book!). Sigh...I don't know what happened to me this year, but I ordered I think 6 new Christmas books this year!

~Books

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version