Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Motivating books, career ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 23 2006 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

While it looks as though we may leave Charlie in school for one more semester (with many conditions), I am trying to prepare for bringing him home in the Fall.

He will not be happy and is not particularly motivated by much. I want to encourage him to look more toward the future and life. And the most important thing is that he not be bored!

I was looking at a few titles in the Rainbow Resource catalog and wondered if anyone had input. One is by Cathy Duffy's son called Hothouse Transplants. Another is A Teen's Guide to School Outside the Box. There was also a book that used aptitude tests to help kids think about careers that they are suited for. I don't have the title in front of me.

I love my son and in my heart I am really convinced that he needs to come home. But I have to admit that I am nervous about the whole thing.

Thanks for your help.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2006 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Have you looked at any of the unschooling resources out there? Leonie recommended a book to me awhile ago, but I can't remember the name of it now...about unschooled teens and what they were doing with their lives. Or maybe The Teenage Liberation Handbook? I confess I haven't read that one. I know there is some controversy surrounding it, but I'm thinking, with an older teen who is not very motivated, the biggest goal would be to get him to take ownership of his own learning, and get excited about something? I have found unschooling type books to be the most help when it comes to internal motivation ideas, even though we don't really unschool in our home.

a meager .02

~Books
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I will pray for you and Charlie.

The book I like by Grace Llwellyn is not The Teenage Liberation Handbook ( although I liked to read that, I liked her analogies re schools and life and how to nappraoch subjects in non tradional ways - its not rerally suitable for a teen imo).

Jonathon and I read Grace's book Real Lives. Interviews with eleven teenagers about life and homeschooling - several are church goers and many do volunteer work.

The Hothouse Tranplants book sounds like it may be similar.

Jonathon also liked The Day I Became An Autodidact. It is written by a girl homeschooler who seeks to learn from life and literature, so may not suit all teens. Jonathon loves literature so it was right up his alley!

We also have read together The Seven Habits of Highly Efective Teens and this is good for encouraging kids to take ownership of learning.

I think Dr Phil has a book out for teens(?) but haven't read it.

Sure others will have more ideas...

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2006 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Leonie,
When you say that you read together, do you actually sit together and read out loud? Or do you both read a section and discuss it?

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Some of it depends on the book - some books are better read separately. The Autodidact book is such a book. We didn't read it in sections - I read it first, years ago and recommended it to my older sons. I think two took up the offer and we discussed our thoughts and reflections when they had finished the book.

When we moved last year and I unpacked books, I put this book in the bookshelf in Jonathon's room. As I thought, seeing the title inspired the reading. I then re-read it and we talked about goals and dreams.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version