Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: 50 gallons of milk in June! :o( Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 02 2009 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

My kids , only two like milk, are allowed one cup a day. If they have some left in their cups I put it in a mason jar and slap a lid on it and put it in the fridge- it (hopefully) becomes part of my morning tea or some pancakes etc.

So for our family of 6 I think we use about 1 1/2 gallons a week.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 02 2009 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I have been following this link with interest - kind of fun peek into your refrigerators . At our height of milk consumption we were at about 6 gallons a week for 6 people. When the oldest went to college that went down significantly as he was a big consumer. But now even when he is home we average 3 1/2 gallons/week. He stopped drinking milk (except on cereal and when having it with chocolate chip cookies or choc. cake ). He doesn't drink any soda anymore either - pretty much just water, which I thought was funny when it's all unlimited there in the dining hall. The next son down also has cut back on his milk consumption.

Our consumption does go up dramatically on weeks were dd bakes a lot of cookies !

I'm glad the milk prices are back down. When it was up at $4 a gallon the thought of you all with 50 gallons a month - $200 each month would be amount to pay.

CatholicMommy wrote:
I have found that my son now EATS. He used to fill up on milk and not eat anything else (or so it seemed).

I can relate - this used to be me as a kid. My mom had to make sure I didn't "chug" a glass of milk before I even tried to eat anything.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2009 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

We have Mason jar glasses (basically Mason jars with handles) in the quart size and pint size. It is amazing to watch my 3 teens and 2 preteen fill up the quart jars for dinner and finish the entire thing! There's a gallon of milk and then some for one meal. We easily polish off 20+ gallons of milk a week. There is osteoporosis in my family so I really don't limit them.

We do plan to get a dairy cow in the future.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2009 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Maddie wrote:
We have Mason jar glasses (basically Mason jars with handles) in the quart size and pint size. It is amazing to watch my 3 teens and 2 preteen fill up the quart jars for dinner and finish the entire thing! There's a gallon of milk and then some for one meal. We easily polish off 20+ gallons of milk a week. There is osteoporosis in my family so I really don't limit them.

We do plan to get a dairy cow in the future.

Wow!

We've thought of getting a cow, too, but right now the labor seems a little daunting... and we wouldn't be able to visit family, who live far away from us.

Still, the thought of having plenty of good raw milk sometimes makes me forget about all the work involved!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2009 at 11:33pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

1 1/2 to 2 gallons a day, depending on who is home (oldest ds is 21 and in college.)
The rest are all boys and active in sports. Dh only drinks milk or iced tea!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
dss- 21, 18, 14, 11, 7, and 5
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

seven2hold
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 03 2009 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote seven2hold

And the winner is.... Maddie with 20 Gallons/week or EIGHTY per month!!!

Back to Top View seven2hold's Profile Search for other posts by seven2hold

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2009 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I accept! Do I get like free milk for the month as a prize?

seven2hold
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote seven2hold

UPDATE:

July's budget review shows we purchased 49 gallons of milk this month.

I guess we are just a 50 gallon/month family. I am no longer in denial!

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

Angel wrote:

We've thought of getting a cow, too, but right now the labor seems a little daunting... and we wouldn't be able to visit family, who live far away from us.

I'll bet you could find a family who would be more than happy to take care of the cow in your absence in return for keeping the milk.

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

We bought a little half Jersey heifer (Annabelle) we are having AI bred to a Jersey bull (hopefully, with sexed semen) so we can get another little 3/4 Jersey heifer out of Annabelle next spring.

We could VERY easily go through a gallon a day. But I really am strict about it (good milk here is $3+/gal. Once we have Annabelle in milk, then we'll be able to lighten up a bit. But until then..

We've got pasture, and plenty of fresh water...so the work with the cows is minimal, at this point. But at some point, I'm hoping for fresh milk, yogurt, cheese...ahhh, yes.   

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

cornomama4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote cornomama4

I'll chime in to say that yes milking is a lot of work....a LOT!! This is from my experience milking one goat for about 3 weeks before I just gave up and figured I'd try it again after her next kidding. By work I mean time and effort involved, escpecially if you are drinking the milk raw it's quite a feat to make sure it's sanitary.

If one had a family situation where you could be undisturbed by babies, toddlers or dogs for 30 mintues each morning and evening every day, I guess it could be quite idyllic. The few times I was afforded this luxury it was great, but I usually had to endure all sorts of distractions from kids and dogs and then, sure enough, the darn goat would step in the milk! Turns out no one really liked the milk anyway, though the cheese was getting pretty good!

That being said, I have a cow in milk with her calf that I'm babysitting. Actually her, her calf, 2 other heifers and a yearling bull They are Black Angus. The owner has implied that he'll "make a good deal" on the animals when and if they decide to sell so....I may be milking again before I know it!

p.s cows can give up to 6 gallons a day! Dag.

cm4
Back to Top View cornomama4's Profile Search for other posts by cornomama4

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2009 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

ahem...cm4...we need to talk milk!

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

seven2hold
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote seven2hold

We went up to 60 gallons in August. I was just beginning to accept 50 as out monthly total. I don't have any explanation for the increase. :o(

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 10 2009 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

My kids would love to come to your houses! The kids drink milk with breakfast (or on cereal), but have water with every other meal and throughout the day. No juice or soda pop at all. Herbal tea in morning and evening, if they want, unsweetened or with stevia.
Back to Top View Lauri B's Profile Search for other posts by Lauri B

dakotamidnight
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 11 2009 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote dakotamidnight

We don't use that much milk a month - maybe 3 or 4 gallons for a family of 4, but we only use it for cooking. None of us can tolerate drinking it - it makes us sick.

But I can share my secret for getting milk cheap and having it not go sour - buy Organic milk on clearance. The dairy manager at my local grocery shared this with me - the Organic milk is often good a week or so past the date in a regular fridge, and in my super cooled fridge {we tend to have things freeze it's so cold} I've had it last a month past the date.

I normally pay either $1 a half gallon or $1.50 a gallon. It does take some trial and error to find out about when they mark it down, but once you get the time figured out roughly I can get milk a lot of the time super cheap. And it's much better grade milk than the "cheap" milk.
Back to Top View dakotamidnight's Profile Search for other posts by dakotamidnight Visit dakotamidnight's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 14 2009 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I have been watching this thread and wondering: do you all DRINK that much milk or are you making yogurt and cooking / baking with it?

Like Lauri, we keep some 1/2 gallons in the fridge for breakfast, but the rest of the day we drink water. We eat most of our dairy - cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt (when I get milk on sale and make yogurt) or ice cream.

I use powdered milk for any baking and even mix it up to make sauces...adding extra butter or using butter instead of margarine. (I buy butter on sale for <$1.50/lb and freeze).

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2009 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Well only a few of my kids drink milk. I only have some in my coffee.
So yes it's cooking and other various uses.
For example we need nearly 2 gallons for cereal for breakfast. I'd say about 2 cups of that goes down the drain but for the most part the milk in their cereal is consumed. I should note that it's not unusual for each of the kids to have 2+ deep bowls of cereal. The older boys easily have 3+.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2009 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Some of our milk consumption (down to 1 1/2 gallons a day,) is on cereal in the am or my tea/coffee throughout the day. The rest is drunk straight.

On occasion, I will make pudding, but I didn't count that. And I use buttermilk for our pancakes and waffles.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2009 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Well, I do use some milk in cooking (a lot of milk goes into a Dutch Baby or quiche which I make often with the eggs we raise ourselves, or in a morning smoothie), but mostly my 13 yo is drinking it. He will come in all sweaty from being outside and pour himself a gigantic glass not of water, but of milk. (To be fair, our water is not good. Every year we hear different things about how bad it is.) In addition, my little guys get about 2 cups a day each, my dd -- who doesn't like milk -- is encouraged to drink at least one cup a day, and I'm working on upping my intake. If my dd and I up our milk intake, I think we'll be definitely at 1.5 gallons a day.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version