Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Which requires more mom - kolbe or seton Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 25 2009 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

I'm researching full enrollment options for my rising 8th grade daughter. Keeping in mind that I have a new baby, I want to be realistic about my own limitations. How much do each of these programs require of mom?

Thanks!

Martha

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2009 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I think it depends upon the student. My dd is enrolled in Seton (9th) and she needs little to no help from me. She does all her testing online, so there's no mailing in of finished tests and the Seton counselors are AWESOME! My children have Seton's phone number that they use frequently. Whenever they have a question or a problem, they call Seton and tell them which subject, the page number and the problem number and the counselor walks them through it and will even take the extra step to give them more info as needed. I have no experience with Kolbe but I have 8 children, health issues and I'm pg with #9, so I have little to no time to figure out an Algebra (or whatever) problem. So, for our family, I will take all the hand holding Seton readily offers. I have called at night, maybe 8pm or so and have actually been able to speak to Mary Kay Clark about a math question. She is one dedicated lady.

Also, Father Constantine is available for religious questions (school related or not)which has been invaluable to me as a convert.

The lessons plans are very thorough, IMO. The concepts are always conveyed well to the student.

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2009 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Both can be done pretty independently by the student, offer counseling help and paper grading. If you use all the services of both, they come out to be about the same price (you have to sign up for enhanced evaluation services, and order your books on your own with Kolbe; this is included with the price in Seton). A lot does depend on the child and what is suited to them and what you need the most support in.

Overall, the Seton lesson plans are more kid friendly. I almost always rewrite the Kolbe ones. In high school Kolbe only has weekly lesson plans and my children like things broken down by day with every subject together. They have so many options (a good thing, really) for regular track and honors track, that sometimes it gets visually hard to sort out all the options. When I use Seton's plans, I never have to rewrite or reorganize them for my children. I do things my own way so many times that this little bit of extra rewriting I do over the summer doesn't bother me and helps me plan. For someone else it might drive them nuts.

I would really think about what you want, what your child would like. If you are able, take a peek over at least some of the plans for each provider. Speak freely with both and ask all your questions before you decide. I have had help from counselors at both places - I find the writing evaluation more helpful from Kolbe. Otherwise it is about the same to me.

I have used both Kolbe and Seton plans (in full and in part) - for instance I found Kolbe literature guides just too hard for me to hold my middle schooler accountable but I have the flexibility to just substitute Seton's reading for Kolbe's plan in that subject. I didn't think he was ready for the Kolbe material at the middle school level reading - not in lit. But he would go absolutely insane with Seton science.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2009 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

Janet and Maddie,

This is great information and exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2009 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

thank you maddie and janet - this is what we had thought - makes me feel even more that we made the right decision.

(typing with precious baby in arms)

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2009 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Martha,

Are you aware of the Seton yahoo group? Heart of Seton It's a good board for asking specific questions about Seton, good moms with lots of Seton experience.

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2009 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

Maddie wrote:
Martha,

Are you aware of the Seton yahoo group? Heart of Seton It's a good board for asking specific questions about Seton, good moms with lots of Seton experience.

No! I wasn't aware! Thanks, I'll check it out.

Our Family Blog

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2009 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

Maddie,thanks for the info about the yahoo group.We use Seton, but I was not aware of the group.
Back to Top View Nina's Profile Search for other posts by Nina

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version