Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tap, tap, tap...is this thing on? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 16 2009 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote amyable

OK, just being goofy.

I hope the moderators had a wonderful retreat and are coming back refreshed and ready.

Maybe a chatty little thread with no meaning will get some of the lurkers to come say hi. I'm good at chatty and meaningless.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2009 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

amyable wrote:
   I'm good at chatty and meaningless.
me too, me too!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 16 2009 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We have a message coming... thanks Amy for being first in the door to welcome everyone back!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 16 2009 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thanks, ladies! We had a productive and enjoyable retreat, thanks to your prayers and support!

Shortly, we'll be sending a Letter to Members to update you all. Look for homepage updates soon as well.

I'm off to bump the original topic announcing our retreat to let others know we're back.

Please do be chatty and meaningless .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 16 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh, Amy...it's so good to see you!!!!!

You make me !!!!!!!!!

It's great to be back!!!!!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2009 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

So glad everyone's back! I kept visiting, even though I knew it wasn't time for the forums to be open yet.      I missed everyone, but am very glad the time was enjoyable and productive for our moderators. You ladies are wonderful! Thank you for all that you do!       

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2009 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote Nique

Oh boy did I miss you's!!!
It made me think of that lyric from the Chicago song, "You don't know what you've got, until it's gone!"

Hugs to you all you busy people with the most posts (Moderators and Managers)!!!
Thanks for coming back

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 17 2009 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Truly funny, Amy!!

Thanks for the welcome!

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2009 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I wasn't here over the weekend and missed the announcement for the retreat.When I came to visit monday, I was alarmed. I thought something had exploded! Jenn quickly set me at peace. Hope it was a good retreat!

Just out of curiosity, how do you do a retreat with all of you being all across the country? do you actually do something or does retreat just mean vacation from the forum?

Glad the forum is back!

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2009 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Natalia wrote:
I wasn't here over the weekend and missed the announcement for the retreat.When I came to visit monday, I was alarmed. I thought something had exploded!

I was wondering too!

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 17 2009 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Natalia wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how do you do a retreat with all of you being all across the country? do you actually do something or does retreat just mean vacation from the forum?

Well, we all flew out to the Bahamas and sipped mint julips and retreated there on the beach in front of the turquoise ocean!... kidding, but I wish I weren't!

You can find out all about our work on this past retreat here - Our Letter to Members.   

Now, back to sipping mint julips...

Seriously, it's so good to be back with all of you!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2009 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

We wouldn't sip mint julieps on the beach without inviting all of you!

The retreat is a time for the moderators to discuss what is working here on the board and how to make the boards work even better.

But my dh asked the same thing when I told him about the retreat......are you going somewhere?????? I may have gotten a trip to Hawaii if I had played my cards right.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 17 2009 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Natalia wrote:
I wasn't here over the weekend and missed the announcement for the retreat.When I came to visit monday, I was alarmed. I thought something had exploded! Jenn quickly set me at peace. Hope it was a good retreat!

I'm sorry for any worry, Natalia, and other members sharing a similar concern! One of the reasons we've committed to scheduled retreats is to address the needs of members and moderators *before* anything explodes. Rest assured that in the future, if you come to the board and it is locked, it is either Sunday (USA), a holy day, or we are on retreat! We're also going to put a note in our homepage header reminding members about these closings. Hope this helps.     

I've never had a mint juliep but I bet I'd like it...especially served on a beach .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2009 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Natalia wrote:

One of the retreat discussions involved taking a temperament test. (Discussed also at Mother Nurture.)For me, the test and discussion were very helpful. I feel much freer to post at the Board than I have in a long while.

Because of the retreat, I notice I am much more of melancholic than I realized. A melancholic likes to mull over things, take her time in writing a response, doesn't want to be rushed into a decision. Since my life lately feels "rushed," and I don't have the same amount of time to consider the ramifications of my posts, I haven't been posting.

Now that I realize I've been hesitating to post because I like to think things over (a little too much.) I'm just going to post some things without writing them first and posting later.

This was eye opening. The retreat helped me to reflect on my personal contribution and role and decide if the
Lord wants me to continue.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 19 2009 at 1:28am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The closure information is posted on the How We Moderate thread which state "We close the board on Sundays, on Ash Wednesday, during Holy Week, for a couple days at Christmas, and twice a year for a brief moderator retreat that will be announced." The dates of the two retreats will vary each year depending on schedules of current moderators.

I just wanted to add that I really don't like to have the boards closed either. When we started having the twice yearly retreat almost two years ago, I took note of the challenges of having the boards closed and the reactions of members. I know members miss the connection and being able to check in - I know I do. Due to my reluctance to close more than necessary, I suggested we try to have our Fall 2008 retreat while the boards remained open. It turned out to be quite unproductive in comparison and there were a lot of distractions so we didn't accomplish what we had set out to do. It definitely was more challenging so we returned this spring to a retreat with board closure. We tried to keep it as short as possible and we appreciate your understanding and support.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2009 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Mary,

I don't mind the forum closed. Really. It was that I didn't see the announcement. I think you guys do a great job and whatever is necessary for you all to feel refreshed and to regain vision is fine with me.

And the other quesiton was just curiosity. I dinn't know if you retreat together via conference calls or if you each do something independently-like the test Helen mentioned.

thanks for the job you do. I am sure there is a lot y'all do that we are not even aware.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 19 2009 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Natalia wrote:
I don't mind the forum closed. Really.

If that's the case then maybe a two week closing is an option...one that *would* allow for an in person beach front thingy    .

Natalia, you always ask thoughtful questions (which we want, need, and appreciate) so no worries at all...we get where you are coming from and also really appreciate your support . We're just using questions in this topic as a springboard to explain our retreats and closing schedule. Hopefully these details will help some members, especially those who are new to the board.

Love,

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version