Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Unschooling Days Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 20 2009 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I posted a few "typical unschooling" days from Catholic unschoolers on the Unschoolng Catholics blog. Have a look! And feel free to post you own.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2009 at 5:54am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Those are really fun to read ... hope others post too! I so try to unschool ... but some days/weeks (especially after a break) I need a bit more structure (for me, not them).

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 21 2009 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I don't consider myself an unschooler and no one else seems to either, because I LOVE to plan. I love to take a theme (suggested by my children or inspired by something else) and run with it. But I've never seen a school that will allow a teacher to plan in six week blocks and then twelve weeks blocks and then two week blocks and then take a whole liturgical season and make the plans revolve around that.
Right now, our days are revolving around the natural season. On days that are sunny, we are doing a few quick chores at home, a little math, and then heading down to the woods. There, all learning is incidental--whatever they find, whatever they do, it just happens. What is required of me is lots of patience to stay in the woods long enough that the places and the spaces become theirs. We bring paper and pencils and watercolors and a field guide or two. Sometimes we use them. Other times, they are neglected for trees to climb and creeks to swim.
The lessons I have planned--currently a main lesson book unit on Native Americans--are the default on days we're home. We will progress this way for the rest of the spring, summer, and early fall, taking many, many days away from the regularly planned lessons to pick strawberries and cherries and peaches and apples, to see the wildflowers up at Skyline Drive and then to return again when the leaves change color.

It occurs to me that I do this with liturgical seasons, too. We'll drop everything to go to the Basilica to celebrate a particular feast or to do a meaningful craft or to hang out in Church all day if that seems right.

On another thread someone commented that time spent planning was time mom wasn't doing something else. That's true, of course. But, I like to plan so that's like saying that time spent knitting is time not doing something else. The other thing is, I've learned over the years how to plan so that the planned times easily moved out of the way for the unplanned times. The converse is that we don't have days that unravel into chaos and boredom because there is always something waiting. Are any of those times unschooled times? I have no idea. In all the years I've educated my children without a school, I've never been sure how to use the word "unschool" properly. I just know that no principal would allow a teacher in a school to educate the way I do.

All that to say, Mary, you haven't missed the bluebells and the sun is shining this morning. I think we're going.
Are you in? Call me

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2009 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Elizabeth wrote:
I've never been sure how to use the word "unschool" properly. I just know that no principal would allow a teacher in a school to educate the way I do.

Oh yeah -- that's one of the main reasons I LOVE homeschooling! I love to plan ... and read ahead and have the info ready ... but I let the kids direct somewhat how each day goes ... at least I try !

Elizabeth wrote:
All that to say, Mary, you haven't missed the bluebells and the sun is shining this morning. I think we're going. Are you in? Call me
Can't today or tomorrow but Thursday and Friday are wide slam open .....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2009 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

I'm a bit surprised at how unschooly I've become. I've resisted it, actually, because I do enjoy planning. But I am finding time and time again that we bail on my plans to go in a completely different direction. So now I'm trying to find the balance between creating somewhat of a plan, and letting the children direct their own learning in an unschooly/Reggio kind of way.

If I don't have any plans in place at all, we will certainly:
Elizabeth wrote:
have days that unravel into chaos and boredom

If I don't have some kind of plan in order, then we will certainly unravel. On the other hand, being willing to huck my plans in favor of following the children's lead when their interest propels them forward is a discipline that I'm still learning! But I'm finding that the best learning in our home happens in this free, creative, unschooly space (low tide, as Lissa calls it).

For me, plans work better when they are open-ended, and that's where unschooling gets to take over. I never make plans that say what we will do Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday, etc. My plans are organized on a list of great ideas to pick from for the week. Then I can grab ideas from it as the week progresses. If my kids are climbing the walls, we bail on handwriting and math, and opt for nature study and art. Sometimes we have entire weeks where all we do is read aloud (a lot!)- other weeks we do math and handwriting every day. But I try to let the kids direct it-- what kind of mood are they in? What do they feel up to? What are they interested in learning about? And I have come to a point where I am resisting setting a goal for completing anything. I never, for example, say that we will try to get through a handwriting book or a certain number of math lessons, etc. We just go with the flow. I can get away with that for now- mine are all 7 and under.

Leonie- I love the Unschooling Catholics blog- thanks for all the work you put into it!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 21 2009 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote Connections

I wonder how many of us are more "unschooly" than either (1) we admit or (2) others would label us.

I, too, have resisted the label of unschooler. Partly because of the "unparenting" that I have seen IRL, partly because I was afraid it sounded lazy, partly because I like to plan and partly because I realized I didn't really know what the label meant! Oh, and labels can be so limiting!

Yet, I find myself with a rhythm and flow to our days that gently combines my plans with their interests, delights and ideas. I focus on setting the banquet of ideas before them- exploring and sharing the world with them. Allowing them to take things and run with them. Honoring their creativity and inventiveness.

We are willing to abandon the plans for a lovely day, an inspired project, an opportunity to experience the world in new ways.

Trusting God and letting go of my desire to control everything (I started out this adventure literally planning their curriculum through HS) has been key. It really seems natural for children to love learning. What a wonderful opportunity we have to help them discern and follow God's calling. I love that one size does not fit all.

And I finally understand how very much TIME we have. How time to ponder and think and explore are vital.

I still cannot define unschooling. However, I am enjoying the freedom from "school" that we experience at home.

Back to Top View Connections's Profile Search for other posts by Connections

Nedra in So. CA
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 21 2009 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Nedra in So. CA

n/a
Back to Top View Nedra in So. CA's Profile Search for other posts by Nedra in So. CA

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 21 2009 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote RamFam

Elizabeth wrote:
taking many, many days away from the regularly planned lessons to pick strawberries and cherries and peaches and apples,

I'm really interested in doing this with the kids this year, but have never done it. What farms are in the area and is there a place I can find their calendars or at least tips that say, 'hey, such and such is ripe?'

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 21 2009 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Leah,
Here's a site with lots of information for picking in Virginia: Pick Your Own.
Hope we see you out there!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

motherly loving
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 21 2009 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote motherly loving

I don't know about the details of where you or Elizabeth live but this website has great lists by state and county and is updated regularly if someone visits and it is no longer there or has changed. We just went strawberry picking last week and I am excitedly looking forward to our visit to the NC mountains where we pick at this organic blueberry farm. I love berry season.
http://www.pickyourown.org/

Motherly Loving
Back to Top View motherly loving's Profile Search for other posts by motherly loving Visit motherly loving's Homepage

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 21 2009 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

Thanks so much Elizabeth and Robina! That site seems to be a wealth of information. I'll try to wade through it. It looks like I should look for strawberries in May as the first pick your own crop?

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2009 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Elizabeth,

Any tips on planning as far as how you go about planning unschooling adventures? I have always struggled with that, OR, I have plans, then I can never seem to implement them because of "regular" school. (We use more of a clasical approach, but I try to add in things that would be classified as "unschooling". ) How do you know what you can put aside? I have always struggled with feeling guilty for putting the books aside (their texts) and then guilty for not putting them aside more!! But, mainly a question about HOW to break down planning. There is probably some old post about it I am sure. I will look into that too. But, if anyone has any suggestions as to how to focus your subject matter??

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

Jody
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2009 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote Jody

What a great site! Thanks Elizabeth and Robina! I would love to bring all the kids to a pick your own farm. How Fun!

Jody

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 21 2009 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

Eight Wonders wrote:
But, if anyone has any suggestions as to how to focus your subject matter??

This is kind of my question in regards to 'unschooling' as well. Do you have any guideline by which you steer the child's learning: state standards of learning, a 'must know by graduation' list, something? Or do you just go with the flow learning as much about everything as it comes up?

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2009 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

I was part of an "unschooling" group, mainly because they said that they were an inclusive group and I liked their unstructured play-group. They did not tolerate any discussion of curriculum on their forum, though.

However, me and many others were really just kind-of unschoolers. We did a small amount of structured learning mixed with unschooling. But then some of the more radical unschoolers (who verged on unparenting) started criticizing the more mainstream unschoolers and telling them that they weren't really "unschooling".

I consider myself an eclectic homeschool. I kind of treat homeschooling like PT Barnum would (not just because my house is like a circus): I throw lots of different approaches out there for everything and see what sticks. A more structured homeschooler would call me an unschooler. A radical unschooler would say that I wasn't an unschooler at all because we use a Math curriculum.

In some ways, unschooling is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes I worry that I veer too much into the "not schooling" category someone mentioned.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 21 2009 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

Barbara C. wrote:
Sometimes I worry that I veer too much into the "not schooling" category someone mentioned.

If by 'not schooling' you mean 'not learning' I just can't bring myself to believe that exists. One rarely ceases to learn, especially children. Right?

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2009 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote mariB

Elizabeth wrote:

Right now, our days are revolving around the natural season. On days that are sunny, we are doing a few quick chores at home, a little math, and then heading down to the woods. There, all learning is incidental--whatever they find, whatever they do, it just happens. What is required of me is lots of patience to stay in the woods long enough that the places and the spaces become theirs. We bring paper and pencils and watercolors and a field guide or two. Sometimes we use them. Other times, they are neglected for trees to climb and creeks to swim.

Thanks for inspiring! Going to do this minus the swimming:)   Prayers and math and then...some exploring!

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2009 at 6:03am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

One area I have always struggled with is how much of my own input to bring to an "unschooling" type learning experience. For example, we go on a walk and I point out plants I know and talk about whatever I already know about the area. Is it better to do this or to just wait until the children express interest? I tend to go back and forth on this. Sometimes I feel like a tour guide, directing the whole program, and sometimes I feel disengaged, letting them run the show! What approach do you take and why?

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 22 2009 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Eight Wonders wrote:
Elizabeth, Any tips on planning as far as how you go about planning unschooling adventures? I have always struggled with that, OR, I have plans, then I can never seem to implement them because of "regular" school.

Dear Kim,
I can tell you what works for our family. In some unschooling circles, I'm sure we're way too structured. In some homeschooling circles, we're far too liberal. This is what works for us. By the way, I don't like the word "homeschooling" and avoid it as best I can using it only when I'm too lazy to figure something else. I'm not overly fond of "unschooling" either, mostly because I never know what the reader thinks it means. So, for me, there's Real Learning (which also seems to have have taken on different meanings in different places )

Leah, there are some things which I know they need before they leave home. They need a decent grasp on math up through high school math. They need to be able to write very well (this is our family standard). They need to be very well read. They need to know their faith. It is our dearest hope that they will make that faith their own and they will have a personal relationship with Christ.

*I'm not naturally mathematically inclined. I've learned the hard way that math--for us--is a "just do it" thing. We've chosen our textbooks and we just do it every day. Leaving math until they are inspired had nearly disastrous results for my first two children. I pick a series and stick with it and math looks most like a traditional school subject than anything else.

*They write only on days they eat. Writing is a fundamental skill, in my opinion and every child has something interesting to say every day. I make sure they write. All of my children have been naturally inclined to record their thoughts and stories when they are little.We just keep nurturing that habit. They blog, journal,email, and some write assigned response papers.

*They must read every day. Here's where I often plan. They might read selections from booklists I've compiled or booklists I've found. My very favorite reading, however, is binge reading. I love it when they want to read the whole series or stay up all night and finish a book.That's not only allowed, but encouraged.

Usually, before I plan the year, I get input from my kids. We choose a time period or a subject matter. I have a general notion of what has been done and what remains to do. But they do too! A kid who remembers doing ancients three years ago is likely to protest if we go there again too soon. I lay out a plan.The plan includes stretches of four to eight week blocks of learning related to a particular theme. the ends of each of these stretches are logical places to break for something less structured.

Then comes the discretionary part: It's up to me to keep things fresh enough throughout the block that they aren't legitimately bored to tears. It's also up to me to discern whether they need to stick with it if they protest. We don't live in a world where a grownup can pick and choose what he wants to do every day without consequence. My children don't live in a home like that either. I have found that the natural ebb and flow of seasons dictates the breaks into less structured lessons which for us are usually nature-based or liturgy-based. Very occasionally, we ditch the plans because they really aren't working. Usually, I plan the plans around the breaks. That is, I'll plan four weeks because I see a natural break time coming four weeks off. Bluebell week is set in stone. So are the opening U-pick days for fruits and vegetables. We set aside what can keep for what can't. Feast days and solemn fast days are other examples of days to veer from the lesson plans. After several years of following these rhythms, I don't even really think about it. It just happens. Incidentally, it's not at all difficult to settle back into the more academic routine either--my kids know that's what we do now.

I feel like I've written forever this morning and it's still probably clear as mud. Is that at all helpful, Kim? Leah?

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2009 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Elizabeth,

Thank you for elaborating on your planning. My plans aren't as elaborately written as yours, but what you've detailed here sounds a lot like how we do it at our house... well, except for the writing, which seems to be vaguely akin to major surgery for my oldest. But, we're working on that.

I rarely use the term "unschool" to describe how we do things around here, but I guess I do often say we are "unschooly" or "unschoolish". That's because I don't think ANY label suits us, and we embody the "ish" of lots of approaches: "Montessori-ish", "Reggio-ish", "classical -ish"... at some point, it probably gets a bit ridiculous.

But I do have plans, sometimes only in my head, and usually based on interests I observe in the kids' play (right now, my little guys are all interested in Antarctica and penguins, so that's what I'm providing for them -- books, artwork, Toob animals, puppets, movies)... or, especially with the big kids, we sit down and discuss what we should all do together. If we agree that ancient history is our focus for the year (like this year, after doing modern history last year), I break it up into geographical areas and elicit opinions on what should be next. So after doing Mesopotamia, everybody was interested in Ancient Greece. So I planned the books I wanted to have on hand for Greeks. After the Greeks, the kids wanted to do ancient Africa. So I planned for that. Etc., etc. Science works that way for us, too. And we travel and get outside a lot.

Math *is* required, but I listen to opinions on textbooks and will change if a child really doesn't like the program. I try to provide a lot of hands-on work there.

Today is supposed to part of a "break" because we're trying to settle in after our long 3 week trip to see family, but my eldest ds is reading my newly 6 yo's birthday present to him right now (a Jack Prelutsky poetry collection), so it looks as if today will be a little bit on the "unschooly" side, too.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version