Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Getting rid of catalogs... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Nedra in So. CA
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 18 2009 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote Nedra in So. CA

n/a
Back to Top View Nedra in So. CA's Profile Search for other posts by Nedra in So. CA

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2009 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

I want to come to your store! That sounds wonderful!

I find that I start doubting well-laid plans when the catalogs come, too, Nedra. I am tempted every single year to buy from CHC, even though the couple of books I've gotten from them haven't worked for us. But their catalog is so pretty, I always think there *must* be something I need from them! I do plan to keep the SL catalog and a couple of others as booklist references throughout the year, but sometimes just hucking the other catalogs into the recycle bin is a good idea for my peace of mind (and my checkbook!)

I don't really need to buy much for our homeschool- and I keep having to remind myself of that. Our library supplies 80% (more, maybe?) of our curriculum. So I just need to purchase some religious books, craft supplies, sketchbooks, and we're good to go.

I'm more tempted by our state homeschool convention than by catalogs. But I'm still going this year, because Catherine Levison is speaking there (hooray!). I just plan to bring a little cash and leave the credit card at home.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Nedra in So. CA
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 18 2009 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote Nedra in So. CA

n/a
Back to Top View Nedra in So. CA's Profile Search for other posts by Nedra in So. CA

12stars
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 20 2009 at 12:19am | IP Logged Quote 12stars

I live in Southern California, can you PM and let me know where this wonderful store is at?
Maybe it is not too far from me.

Back to Top View 12stars's Profile Search for other posts by 12stars Visit 12stars's Homepage

Nedra in So. CA
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 20 2009 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote Nedra in So. CA

n/a

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 20 2009 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Well, I love catalogs! But, I have learned over the years what works for us and what doesn't, and that includes those catalogs that are good for reference and those that serve only as temptation. I really have to be a good steward of my time these days...so I'm brutally honest with myself when catalogs come in. If we don't usually buy from that catalog, I don't keep it. Period. I don't even open the cover...they go right to recycle as Sarah suggested. Temptation averted. It's not like throwing the catalog away means I *can't* order from that vendor. I can always check them out online if I need to make a purchase.

There are a few catalogs that are never thrown out until the next annual catalog comes in to replace it. They have great booklists, and I know I'm going to use it as a reference.

Here are my favorite catalog staples that never leave my shelves:

**Emmanuel Books
**Sonlight
**Winterpromise
**Bethlehem Books
**Neinhuis Montessori (used for ideas only!)
**Montessori Services
**Child of the World (Michael Olaf Montessori catalog for 3 - 12 yrs)
**The Joyful Child (Michael Olaf Montessori catalog for 0 - 3 yrs)
**Alison's Montessori
**Rainbow Resource
**Dick Blick
**CHC
**Nature's Workshop
**Insect Lore
**Nova Natural

Some are only kept as references, while others are used extensively as planning aids!

If a catalog comes in and I know it is really kept mostly for reference (Rainbow Resources would be an example - that thing is a monster and I get overwhelmed trying to plan with it!) I immediately put it in my magazine holders that I use to store catalogs in (kept on my homeschool reference shelves).

All others that are used for planning get stashed in my catalog pile which has a special place in my reading basket. I look through those when I have time to plan and consider. I mark them up with post-its and pens first. I reflect on my plans and then go back to the catalogs. The catalogs are used for library lists and ordering lists. I make everything on paper before I start an online cart because I whittle and purge so much before I actually place an order. All this is done while planning.

Once my year is planned, I might keep a catalog because it looks neat to consider for next year, but I don't look through it if I feel it might side-track or de-rail my plans. I just file it!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 20 2009 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I'm with Jen--I love them! And a plus for me with catalogs is there portability. I can read a catalog just about anywhere, including the park or the bathtub and not worry too much if it gets wet or muddy or whatever. it's nice to find some inspiration away from the computer every so often. Like so many resources and inspirations, catalogs need to stay in their places. They are tools, not masters, of my time and attention and money.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2009 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Willa

I've stopped reading catalogs! For a couple of years I've tried to spend as little money as I can on curriculum. Mostly these days I just buy materials, like paper and pens.   So catalogs for me just create a need that I didn't have until I looked at the catalog.

I think it helps that I already know what works for me -- in the earlier days catalogs were very helpful to me in seeing what was out there since I've never been to a curriculum fair and there are no homeschooling type stores in our area.   But as you said, I bought a lot of things that just loaded down our shelves and made me feel guilty. So just tossing the catalogs is freeing for me.

Your store sounds great!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2009 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Elizabeth wrote:
I'm with Jen--I love them! And a plus for me with catalogs is there portability. I can read a catalog just about anywhere, including the park or the bathtub and not worry too much if it gets wet or muddy or whatever. it's nice to find some inspiration away from the computer every so often. Like so many resources and inspirations, catalogs need to stay in their places. They are tools, not masters, of my time and attention and money.

This is how I feel, too. I enjoy browsing them, not worrying too much about weather or bath water. I prefer to have something in my hand to read than hunting it all down on the net. I've noticed that they also sometimes remind me to plan ahead...like when I'm reading Emmanuel Books and start drooling over their Lent and Advent stuff, it reminds me to order something in April rather than 2 days before Christ the King Sunday! That said, I have no problems pitching ones I don't like, such as the Christian Liberty Press one that showed up un-invited in my mailbox a few days ago. Did you know that according to them Cromwell is an unsung hero???

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2009 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Oh, I am in the "love 'em" catagory.

Except when they make me question what I have planned.

But I am getting better about that
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2009 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

cactus mouse wrote:

Except when they make me question what I have planned.

Its like an addiction, huh? I have about 7 by my nightstand at the moment, along with clipboard and pen.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2009 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote trish

I love them too. I just got the Sonlight one today. That'll be my night time read while my husband watches the hockey games.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 20 2009 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote Connections

The ones I use for read-aloud and independent reading lists sit near my computer- where I can place the books on hold at the library.

Your homeschooling store sounds awesome!

Back to Top View Connections's Profile Search for other posts by Connections

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2009 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

For me, it's just like a day in the bookstore, only at home! I love the catalogs, I love the books, I love all the cool hands-on manipulatives, I love the hope of planning in the Spring! I even love reading all the children's books when they arrive...I even hide them so the kids can't get to them until I read them! How pathetic is that!?
Tossing them would probably be healthier!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Nedra in So. CA
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 21 2009 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Nedra in So. CA

n/a

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2009 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

I love them, but there is one in particular that is a big temptation to me, my *other* curriculum, the second choice in our homeschooling decision and I waffled back and forth with whether or not to use them. So when their catalog comes in teh mail, I start doubting myself all over again.    I do love their catalog and buy some thigns from it and browse through it, but I've learned to leave it alone this time of year.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 24 2009 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Love the catalogs! The ones I keep all year:

CHC
Memoria Press
Sonlight

I don't really get any others, I guess! I order online from Math-U-See and Our Father's House usually once a year and sometimes Dover Publications, but the bulk of our books come from Amazon. I can't imagine how BIG that catalog would be!

I do like looking at all the other stuff I get from the homeschool convention though. Particularly the online schools like Kolbe, Mother of Divine Grace and Our Lady of Victory, etc. I like to compare what I'm doing with everything else. It's a constant process.

However, I do almost immediately chuck all the OTHER kinds of catalogs into the recycle. If you don't know what's in those catalogs, you won't want it, whether it's Hanna Andersson or Pottery Barn or whatnot. Chuck 'em if you need to!

KateinIndy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 25 2009 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote KateinIndy

Nedra,

What is the name of this amazing sounding homeschool store? Do they ship?

Thank you,
Kate
Back to Top View KateinIndy's Profile Search for other posts by KateinIndy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version