Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Plans for 2nd Grade... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 16 2009 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

My head's a spinnin' thinking about next year's curriculum plans. I love love love it.

I came up with an early, rough, very simple plan:

Read-alouds & read-alones
Weekly nature study
Math (RightStart or Math-U-See- I'm still undecided)
Liturgical celebrations at home (feast days/festivals)
Piano lessons
ETA: Handwriting Without Tears (we've been very successful with this so far!)
Delight-directed everything else

But of course- my Sonlight catalog came in the mail, so now I'm rethinking.... .

I'm just curious- what are your early thoughts/plans for your 2nd grader?

Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Nedra in So. CA
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 16 2009 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote Nedra in So. CA

n/a
Back to Top View Nedra in So. CA's Profile Search for other posts by Nedra in So. CA

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2009 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Nedra in So. CA wrote:
I had to throw my Sonlight catalog away. It was very freeing.

That may very well be the advice I need! I feel so free with the plans I have in place. Which are not really laid out "plans" so much as just general suggestions. I am finding that reading aloud and exploring nature is really all that needs to be done around here. The rest (aside from math, perhaps- but we've not done much formal math yet) happens quite delightfully on its own.

Now, if I can just remember that when I go to the Homeschool convention....

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2009 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

For my 2nd grader:

Liturgical celebrations & FHC prep
SL K
SL LA 1
SL Science K
Noble Knights of Knowledge
CHC Handwriting, maybe. She is using it now and likes it.

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Nedra in So. CA
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 16 2009 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote Nedra in So. CA

n/a
Back to Top View Nedra in So. CA's Profile Search for other posts by Nedra in So. CA

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 17 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote Connections

Sarah-

Sounds lovely!

Maybe the Sonlight catalog came a a great time- a resource for those read-alouds and read-alones.

If you can continue to be relaxed with math- you said you have not done much formal math yet- you may find that is all you need, too.

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 17 2009 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

I was just browsing our old lesson plans and came across Gracie's 2nd grade syllabus from Autumn 2006 - form drawing, modeling, painting, saints/heroes, trickster tales, etc. It was a lovely time!
Back to Top View Lauri B's Profile Search for other posts by Lauri B

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2009 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

MCP math
LSFLF reading w/ ETC
Art with a Purpose

This year's focus was science via WP animal worlds, which we thoroughly enjoyed by the way.
but next year our focus will be ancient history via Story of the World V1. We are very excited!

CHC FHC communion prep maybe. he's been goign right along with us for my dd this year to the point that
honestly I think he's already ready. he turns 7 in September, so I'll ask the priest if we can go solo w/o RE sometime in September for him.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2009 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I'm taking my second/third grader (he's kind of an in bewtween) on a tour of continents and cultures, with animals of those places added in for science...
We'll take a waldorf approach to math and I'm still kicking around language arts for this little guy as reading is a big struggle for him.
He makes FHC this year, so next year we'll focus on the Mass and the priesthood in our family catechesis.
This guy would spend 20 hours a day drawing or exploring outside if allowed, so I'll try to give him lots of time to just be himself as well.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2009 at 11:42pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

missionfamily wrote:
I'm taking my second/third grader (he's kind of an in bewtween) on a tour of continents and cultures, with animals of those places added in for science...

Oh, this sounds fun! Are you writing your own plan for this, then?

missionfamily wrote:
We'll take a waldorf approach to math

Do you plan to use a curriculum like Christopherus or Little Garden Flower, or are you doing your own thing or.... I ask because we did Oak Meadow math this year and it was so very good for my dd. She loves math and says it is her favorite subject. She tends toward perfectionism and gets frustrated easy, so I get a little nervous about switching over to a *regular* math program (like MUS or RS or whatever).

I wonder if I should stick with another year of waldorf math.... my main concern is that she won't learn "tricks" that could be helpful down the road. You know, like *9 always wants to be 10*- that kind of thing. But I don't know....she seems to have a really good handle on mathematical concepts, and so far we've just done real-life, everday informal math, and then a little bit of math from Oak Meadow grade 1.

I like the idea of waldorf math and then the everyday informal stuff....anyone else doing this?

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2009 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Annie will be 2nd grade. The plans so far are:

• Religion: St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism First Communion Prep (for memorization skills)
  • Math: various workbooks & hands-on manipulatives
  • Lang. Arts: Copywork, PLL, CHC Spelling, Stories w/ a View, Seton's Reading for Comp. B
  • Literature: (Read Alouds w/ Mom & Sister) Mary Poppins, Boxcar Children, All-of-a-Kind Family
  • Reading: Sonlight & Seton reader for oral practice
  • Science: Botany/Herbs (probably taking a Serendipity trail for this)
  • Geography: States & Regions Workbooks, CHC's continents & cultures, Map Skills B (because these workbooks are inhaled around here)
  • Poetry: various
  • History: Follow any trails the high schooler & junior high student takes (see our Great Depression unit study)

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2009 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Sarah, you know what SL is best for? Read-Alones/Readers! Seriously, I don't even consider SL with elem. students, but I do love having a set of readers for the child to get through in a year. You don't need a manual for that. I just make a list of the books and tell the child to read one and then cross it off the list and read the next when they are done.

Your plans look great. The hardest part is staying out of all the spring catalogues once you've made your decisions.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 18 2009 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I never throw my Sonlight catalogs away--they are some of the best sources of reading lists available.I often give them away to new homeschoolers so they can see what an academically-oriented program looks like all laid out.And I always tell them to expect to finish about 2/3 of it, tweaking all the way:-). For me, springtime means some sessions with a Sonlight catalog and some sessions revisiting the
Christopherus Overview.It's good for me to see whatever other folks are envisioning; gives my own muse a nudge.

We're in a reading, drawing and nature study season ourselves right now, but some of those other things do have their place too.

I'm out the door and back to baseball. Colleen will back to elaborate a little on what we have percolating for the continent and countries venture. Katherine is getting ready to continue the story of the Serendipity math gnomes.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2009 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I'm back with just a short snippet of time to give a brief idea of what our plans look like for next year.

We've chosen Sonlight's Core 5 for our older elementary children, but we'll be spinning it with a Serendipity twist. Because it's focus is the Eastern hemisphere and it is missionary/geography based rather than history, it seemed like a natural tie-in to take our little ones on a tour of all the places the big ones would be going.

Our focus will be picture book lists and main lesson book plans that are focused on exploring each continents geographical and cultural features, with a focus on a few countries...and a science trail featuring the animals and habitats of those places.
The missionary focus will provide a faith focus for the year.

This plus Katherine's Gnomes and Gnumbers is a full, beautiful second grade year for my little guy whose natural temperment places him firmly of the realm of arts, nature, and spiritual things.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2009 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

missionfamily wrote:
We've chosen Sonlight's Core 5 for our older elementary children, but we'll be spinning it with a Serendipity twist. Because it's focus is the Eastern hemisphere and it is missionary/geography based rather than history, it seemed like a natural tie-in to take our little ones on a tour of all the places the big ones would be going.

Our focus will be picture book lists and main lesson book plans that are focused on exploring each continents geographical and cultural features, with a focus on a few countries...and a science trail featuring the animals and habitats of those places.

Are you going to share your plans anywhere for this? I've got an older child doing core 5 next year and would love to see what you've got planned!

~Books

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2009 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

I usually don't make really firm plans this far ahead, with one homeschooling. But once you ladies start talking I start thinking, praying and watching this forum for inspiration.

Religion: F&L 3, Catholic Mosaic titles we haven't already visited and saint stories that go along with our history plans. Madeline's birthday fell after the school entry cut-off, so while for school purposes she's currently a first grader, she's is making her FHC in June.

History and Geography: Serendipity: Lewis and Clark, Westward Expansion and American Indians. The continent and countries idea sounds awfully interesting, though! I may also add a Map Skills book because I think she'd love that as much as her brother did.

Math: Singapore, although she loves Gnomes and Gnumbers and would be very excited to see them again.

Language Arts: First Language Lessons for the WTM, copywork daily from FLL or Serendipity or Mosaic, All About Spelling. Reading/read alouds from other areas.

Science: Nature study ideas from Handbook of Nature Study blog, delight-directed ideas from Serendipity or whatever strikes our fancy.

Arts: continued violin lessons, Serendipity, ballet and other classes at arts center.

ETA Madeline wants to learn cursive handwriting, so I need to find a program that is sufficiently pretty but also not too challenging for a young eight year old.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Nedra in So. CA
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 18 2009 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Nedra in So. CA

n/a

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2009 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

PDyer wrote:

ETA Madeline wants to learn cursive handwriting, so I need to find a program that is sufficiently pretty but also not too challenging for a young eight year old.

Patty, have you seen the new cursive program that Memoria Press is offering? I usually swear by Handwriting without Tears, but this looks really lovely and its designed to be used with 1st graders, so it might work with your Madeline.

~Books

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2009 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Bookswithtea wrote:
Patty, have you seen the new cursive program that Memoria Press is offering? I usually swear by Handwriting without Tears, but this looks really lovely and its designed to be used with 1st graders, so it might work with your Madeline.

No, I haven't and thank you so much for pointing it out!

I'm beginning to believe my name has fallen off some mailing lists because I haven't received a single catalog yet. Is this a problem, or a blessing? Hmmm.   

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 18 2009 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Bookswithtea wrote:
missionfamily wrote:

Are you going to share your plans anywhere for this? I've got an older child doing core 5 next year and would love to see what you've got planned!

With God's blessing, it will all be up on Serendipity over the course of the summer and fall. We're going to post our Civil War plans in the very near future and then wrap up American History and move on to this study. It's all in draft format and we've been working on it over the course of the last couple of months. Katherine has already begun her Sonlight Core, so she's gearing up, particularly since both she and Colleen are hitting major nesting right now. We'll have booklists and some main lesson ideas much like the Native American unit looks like. Then, as we learn with our children, we're going to try to update the Serendipity photo albums frequently. We expect that our studies will look a bit different in each of our houses. We will share as much as we are able.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version