Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: I am new. Please pray for me. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rosesinsummer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Rosesinsummer

Hello ladies,

I am relatively new to these boards. I have lurked off and on the past few years and just joined last year.   I haven't been on here very much.   I have two children, 4 years and 2 years.   Next fall, my husband and I would like to formally begin homeschooling our oldest.

I post today as a woman who is in desperate need of prayer.   I see the huge lack of virtue in my life, and I see how my undisciplined nature and inconsistency is spilling over into the life of my children. How can I expect them to behave when my own example is so poor?    I am very lazy.   I am disorganized and a packrat by nature, but there are tools I can use to overcome those lack of skills such as A Mother's Rule of Life and FlyLady, etc.   I'm both overindulgent with the children and then fly off the handle and treat them unjustly when I can't take it anymore. I seem to fail every time I try, perhaps because I'm too lazy to keep going with the programs.   

I always wonder why I cannot seem to keep house and home. I would be mortified if any one showed up unannounced, and yet I would love to invite people over for playdates or tea on a moments notice.

I sometimes even question if I'm cut out to be a mother.   I know the Lord gave me these beautiful children, and I love them with all my heart, but I feel so unworthy and unprepared for the task of raising holy, disciplined and virtuous souls.   How do I give what I do not have myself?

I know the devil wants me to despair of ever changing. I know all things are possible with the Lord, but here I am repeating all the same habits and mistakes that I have reaped my whole life.

I want to change, I need to change, but I can't seem to make the change.

Please pray for me.

Back to Top View Rosesinsummer's Profile Search for other posts by Rosesinsummer

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

First, welcome!

Second, prayers coming!

Rosesinsummer wrote:
I sometimes even question if I'm cut out to be a mother.   I know the Lord gave me these beautiful children, and I love them with all my heart, but I feel so unworthy and unprepared for the task of raising holy, disciplined and virtuous souls.   How do I give what I do not have myself?

You are cut out to be a mother! I can say so with complete conviction because you wouldn't be a mother if God hadn't chosen those children for you and your husband. Rest in that.

You are training for sanctity and those lessons don't come easy. When Our dear Lord prunes us, it hurts. But, He brings such wonderful fruit from His prunings! Cling to that. He is pruning you! You feel it! Thanks be to God that He is gently reaching down to offer you this awareness. With knowledge of self and your evident humility and surrender to Him, He will make up for all you lack with an outpouring of Grace. Rest in that.

Take one thing at a time. Would you like to work on virtue building? We could recommend some books I'm sure that would light a fire and encourage you. Or, perhaps you feel a need for order in the home, we can point you in a direction there as well. Choose one thing. Focus on it in prayer and practically speaking. It will be hard work, but the women of this board know right where you are and we'll be praying you right through it!

Know that I am praying for you!!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

I'm praying for you....big hugs and a welcome! I think Jennifer's advice to pick one thing to work on at a time is a great idea. I am doing this very thing in my life. There are so many virtues that I need to work on in my own life, and I get overwhelmed easily if I consider more than one at a time. Be gentle with yourself! And remember that God loves your desire to grow in holiness.

Sending prayers for you now. Blessings, friend!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Prayers for your intentions.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Welcome and prayers!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote crusermom

Welcome and prayers.   You will find much wisdom and support here.

Mary

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote mariB

Welcome and sending lots of prayers. Mothering and keeping house can be so overwhelming at times! Jennifer has given such good advice and the ladies here have so much wisdom. i am always coming here to pray and view what the ladies are doing in the
Domestic Church section. I find taking one day at a time helps...

sending prayers and hugs,
marianne

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote trish

Welcome!
Praying for your intentions.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote Anne

Welcome,

You are not alone in your feelings. Please be gentle with yourself as you want to be with your children. I have found that not comparing myself with others and just admitting that I am not the best house keeper, organizer, ect.. helps with the feelings of not measuring up. We all have our lazy times and our productive times. God gave us all many talents and you must hold on to your talents and don't beat yourself up. A book that really helped me on my journey in deciding to homeschool was Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit By Teri Maxwell. It is not Catholic but it does have a spiritual side. I read it just about every year to get myself back in line.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Blessings,

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Praying for you, for all your needs!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Rosesinsummer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote Rosesinsummer

Thank you so much for your kind words and prayers.   I really appreciate them.   One thing at a time is good word of wisdom--- but hard to accept because I want to see big changes overnight. With baby steps, it's harder to see the progress sometimes.

I do have some organizational resources (AMROL, Flylady, Organizing from the Inside-Out, etc.)   I would love some resources on building virtues, particularly for myself.

Thank you again for lifting me up in your prayers. God bless you all!

Lyda

Back to Top View Rosesinsummer's Profile Search for other posts by Rosesinsummer

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

I know exactly what you mean -- it is so hard to remember that no matter how much there is to be done or fixed, I can only work on one thing at a time and that solving, or making a slight improvement, to one problem is much better than sitting around worrying and complaining. I tend to rebel at the whole notion that my house didn't get messy overnight and won't get un-messy overnight (I think Flylady said something like that,) etc.

I've been reading Fr. Thomas Dubay -- there's Deep Conversion/Deep Prayer, and I just began Seeking Spiritual Direction: How to Grow the Divine Life Within, which seems like it might be helpful figuring out how to go about developing virtues even if you don't pursue a relationship with a "spiritual director" right now. Prayer Primer was also very helpful to me.

Praying for you.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Not that I have very similar problems in my life (hah!), but I know a few good resources in the virtue department (I'm sure that there will be plenty more suggested):

Saintly Solutions to Life's Common Problems

More Saintly Solutions to Life's Common Problems

The Hidden Power of Kindness

and some 4real discussions about them:

How to Stamp out Sloth

Spirtual Reading - comforting and inspiring

Saintly Solutions - Gluttony

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2009 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Welcome, Lyda. I'm sure we have all felt like this at one time or another. You are in my prayers.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2009 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

In another thread, someone linked to a post on Sally Clarkson's blog, and I thought maybe it would encourage you. Here is part of it:

But all that to say, God is on your side. He is so well pleased that you are seeking to please Him and to love your children and husband. He no more expects perfection out of you than He did of Peter! And He is not surprised when you blow it--as a matter of fact, he would probably say to you, (or me) "Sally, I know that when the cock crows (or the children push you over the edge) you are going to blow it. But take courage, because I have prayed for you that when you get yourself together again, you will strengthen the brethern" In other words, he would say, "I am with you. I understand you. I love you and I will help you make it.

Read the rest here.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2009 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Welcome and many prayers coming your way!

I really do understand where you are coming from. I felt particularly like that when I had two under 5, and often do find myself slipping back into those thoughts (or other equally destructive ones).

Not that I'm ANY kind of expert, but I'd like to offer you two bits of advice: first, as has been said, don't compare yourself to other moms, especially these wonderful "moms of many" here, and feel depressed because you don't measure up, because you wonder how THEY can do all that when you can't do the same with "only two". I don't *know* if you are thinking those things, but so many women do I wanted to address it. Firstly, what you see on the blogs and in these posts are just snippets of their lives - NOT the sink full of dishes, the crumbs on the floor, the huge tantrum their 3 year old had at the dentists office this morning (ahem - that was mine, LOL). Many of them will also tell you that having 2 young ones is harder and more lonely and stressful than having a houseful with olders included. I would never have believed it myself 7 years ago but it's true.

Also, be careful not to confuse tiredness with laziness, depression with laziness, anxiety with laziness, etc. What you are calling lazy (which I believe is a more "full choice" not to do something you should be doing) may in fact be that you are tired or overwhelmed, which while it doesn't excuse you from what you MUST do, is different from feeling great and deciding you'd rather knit than make dinner for your family.

OK, one more thing, Flylady and the others mentioned don't work for everyone. Don't kick yourself if you don't do well with them. Take the few small things that work for you from them and devise something that fits your family. You'll be more likely to do it. If there's anything that I've learned (slowly) over the past few years here it's to simplify everything as much as possible, and figure out what works for MY family, which may not look like *anyone else's* family here.

HTH and doesn't sound preachy. I'm only speaking from my own sordid past and may be reading too much into what you said.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2009 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

I'll pray for you Roses!
It's a tough time when there are only littles in the house.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

MarieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 15 2009 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote MarieA

Welcome and prayers for you!

Marie

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Prayers for you and a big hug.

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

Praying for you! You have received some very good advice here and I'll second Helen in saying it is very tough when you only have little ones! It really does get easier. I will confess that my house is usually a mess...right now I have a kitchen full of dirty dishes and wood chips from the guinea pigs' cage all over the floor. This is what homeschooling looks like here. Frequently when someone hears that I homeschool they immediately conger up an ideal home with perfectly behaved kids. Ha! Ha! I used to worry about someone dropping in but with practice I now just kick the shoes and boots out of the doorway and ask if they would like tea. They almost always do. Enjoy your little ones
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version