Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: How to stamp out sloth in my life... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 14 2008 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

I considered posting this anonymously because it's so hard to admit the yuckiness in my own heart. I need some wisdom from you ladies.

I'm painfully aware of the presence of sloth in my heart/life. I know that being aware of it is a good first step but i feel like I need to wage war on this vice and I'm not sure how to go about doing that. I'm praying of course but as a Catholic Christian, I want to take advantage of all the resources the Church offers to us for our growth. Other things I've thought of are: frequent reception of the sacraments, regular confession, possibly seeking spiritual direction (haven't decided yet about this one). Any other ideas/books you ladies could suggest? Thank you.

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2008 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

The book Saintly Solutions has a good chapter on sloth. I refer to it often.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2008 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I am fighting this big time too. Often my sloth comes about because I am so overwhelmed by all my duties as a wife, mother, teacher, etc. In addition to those you listed, I also am motivated by listening to good Catholic homeschooling Cds, it helps me to remember why I'm doing what I'm doing. Then a kind of secular but highly motivating method to get me off my back end is listening to music especially (song linked below) makes me cry and get motivated!this song (try again)

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 14 2008 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

I would suggest reading the writings of St. Josemaria Escriva. I can really relate to you - I struggle with sloth and I feel like I bring it to confession every.single.time.

If you can get your hands on a copy of The Way, The Furrow, and The Forge, I would suggest it! St. Josemaria has a lot of great wisdom concerning work and how it sanctifies us! He's so fatherly and loving, and I always feel inspired after reading it!

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 14 2008 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

anniemm wrote:
I feel like I bring it to confession every.single.time.

Me too!!!

[/QUOTE] If you can get your hands on a copy of The Way, The Furrow, and The Forge, I would suggest it![/QUOTE]

Is this one book or three? Where could I get it?

Thanks!

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2008 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Rosary as Remedy for Sloth

I found this series a little while ago and liked it.   I think you are on the right track -- reception of the sacraments, prayers, and resolutions to do better.

I struggle with this sin, too, especially as I get older.   

It helps me to take one specific defect in my life that I know is attributable to sloth -- and just work on that specific sin. This steers me clear of discouragement (a close companion to sloth) and helps me measure my progress -- also, when I attack one manifestation I deal better with the others ones, as well.

Right now I am so disinclined to tackle the housecleaning -- a kind of aversion.   I am trying to address it and it is no fun -- I will offer my struggles for your intentions.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2008 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Maddie wrote:
especially this song makes me cry and get motivated!

Maddie,
I can't get the link to direct me correctly.

anniemm wrote:
I would suggest reading the writings of St. Josemaria Escriva.

Definitely. I second/third this.

Also, did you get the most recent "Heart & Mind" magazine? Kelly Roper has the featured article on "The Domestic Monastery". I was hesitant that it was a repeat of all that has already been written about "domestic monasteries", but it isn't.

She takes apart The Benedictine Rule in the context of the home and writes a very thorough piece for housewives and families and the opus dei within our homes.

It's a 17-page article and I'm still reading it but it re-inspired me to pull my bright red "Benedictine Rule manual off the shelf. And what perfect timing with the Pope arriving in the U.S. tomorrow.

Perhaps take this week to listen to Pope Benedict the XVI and see how The Rule of St. Benedict speaks to you and motivates you.

Also,
The Rule by Sr. Jane Michele McClure (pdf file)

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2008 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I think I fixed it, sorry!

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 14 2008 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

Cay Gibson wrote:

Also, did you get the most recent "Heart & Mind" magazine? Kelly Roper has the featured article on "The Domestic Monastery".

I have never heard of that magazine. Is it possible to get a single issue or do I need to be a subscriber?

Our Family Blog

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 14 2008 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

Martha, The Way, The Furrow, and The Forge are all separate writings, but you can find them all in one book usually. Sometimes you can find it on Amazon (not always) and you can always find it on the website for Scepter publishers HERE.

www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2008 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

anniemm wrote:
Martha, The Way, The Furrow, and The Forge are all separate writings, but you can find them all in one book usually. Sometimes you can find it on Amazon (not always) and you can always find it on the website for Scepter publishers HERE.

They are also online. See Writings of St. Josemaria Escriva

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2008 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Martha in VA wrote:
Cay Gibson wrote:

Also, did you get the most recent "Heart & Mind" magazine? Kelly Roper has the featured article on "The Domestic Monastery".

I have never heard of that magazine. Is it possible to get a single issue or do I need to be a subscriber?

Cay, I have been talking and thinking nonstop about that article! It's really fabulous.

And Martha, it looks like they are behind on their subscriptions, so you can't get a new one, but this is the newest edition, and not quite available. I do hope they offer it in the archives. Cay -- can you try to put in a good word?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 14 2008 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

Here are a few examples of what St. Josemaria says about work in The Furrow.
482 Work is man's original vocation. It is a blessing from God, and those who consider it a punishment are sadly mistaken.
The Lord, who is the best of fathers, placed the first man in Paradise ut operaretur, so that he would work.

492 To finish things you have to start them.
It seems a truism, but you so often lack that simple decision. And how satan rejoices in your ineffectiveness!

From The Way on character:
21 Excuses. You'll never lack them if you want to avoid your duties. What a lot of rationalizing! Don't stop to think about excuses. Get rid of them and do what you should!

Those are some of my favorites!

www.hiswillmypeace.com

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2008 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Ooops, here's Heart and Mind -- it's fabulous!

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2008 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Which issue of Heart and Mind are we talking about here?

thanks
ck
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version