Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Help! I'm having a meltdown here! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Hi Everyone!

Please give me some sage advice here! I am having an absolute bear of a schoolyear with my two youngest dd's, in grades 3 and 1. We are enrolled in MODG, and I feel as if I spend the entire day either tracking down various books and materials or keeping one girl out of trouble so that I can work with her sister (no, I cannot combine them for most subjects, the exceptions being science and history). In the meantime, I am chasing a one year old and trying to keep track of the work my older 2 are doing. I have to listen to each girl's individual narration for this and that, everything is mom-teacher led, there is very little (nothing really) that I can have them do on their own while they wait for me. I am pulling all the hair out of my head over this, it is really stressing me out. Any other MODG'ers here, or anyone with a suggestion? I can only combine them for Science and History because they are on very different levels for everything else, so please don't suggest combining them, I have been there, done that already : )

Thanks and God bless!

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

KerryK
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote KerryK

Hi Tea,
I have three kids and this is only my second year of homeschooling, so I am by far NOT the most experienced person here. However, I will say that I tried MODG last year, (not enrolled)using the syllabi for fifth and first grades. I lasted about a month. I found it kind of exhausting, each child had completely different things going on, with no overlap at all. It was also a little too structured for me. I was chasing a baby around, as well.
This year I've gone my own way, combining different approaches, and making some use of Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum and The Well Trained Mind. I have planned things they can do independently, and we also do some topics together. For example, we use Story of the World II for history together, and then my son, who is in sixth grade, delves deeper using History Odyssey. But at least we are all on the same page as far as the actual topics!
It can be hard, having two totally different syllabi, with a toddler to chase in the mix - I feel your pain!

Mary (6)
New baby Samuel 2/26/07!
and 9 angels in heaven

The Eyes of My Heart
Back to Top View KerryK's Profile Search for other posts by KerryK Visit KerryK's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Here are some quick ideas.

1. Habit forming. Make a designated place--a large reusable grocery bag?--for all of the materials you use daily. Carry it around with you and practice putting things away so that you don't have the "where'd it go" chaos. BTDT.

2. Polite listening. When there is one child who needs my full attention, I have the other kids practice polite listening. The third grader narrating to me at the computer (I never handwrite anymore) can be modeling how to narrate to the 1st grader who is listening politely. We do this for poetry, BC Catechism memorization, and state caps too.

3. Think outside the box.      I don't present state caps every day. We have a $10 puzzle from Target that has all the information they need. There are other things you can do like that to give yourself a break.

I love MODG although I am not enrolled. We started with it 5 years ago and until this year my school day was fairly consistently done by noon. I have had years like you describe (I think the 2nd and K year with 3 littles), but with a little creative thinking I have been able to have it flow fairly smoothly.     Good luck!

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I would find substitutes for the subjects that they could perhaps do more independently...like Math? My kids use MUS almost entirely without me. I think I heard that MODG is willing to accept substitutes for some subjects? Also, their spelling/phonics is *incredibly* time consuming (WRTR/SB). If you aren't hung up on those programs, you could probably find something that would do the job just as well that they could do more independently (ie...you do your math while I listen to your sister's narration). Having some subjects done independently is essential in a busy homeschool. If they have to have you for everything...well, it just doesn't work.

Also, could their memorization be the same? That might be similar enough to slide and save a few minutes?

I'm stumped for other ideas, ~Tea. I constantly rotate my kids on independent versus mommy intensive activities, and tend to change them up each year. I couldn't survive a schoolyear without doing this.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

Call your consultant.

While I don't know the ages of your older children, it seems like you are dealing with a combination of issues: training and organization with the youngers, and the academic demands of schooling a # of children.

It is doable, and it can be tailored to your needs. Since your consultant knows the particulars of your homeschool and laid out the plan with you, she's the best one, probably, to help you adjust the workload to your situation.

And ~now~ is the time to get with her, before you feel completely run over! It is part of what you're paying for!

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

I feel for you!

What has been working well for me is to have one of my older kids be with the toddler while I work with another child. So you could work with one girl in the morning and have your other student play with the baby, they switch them in the afternoon.

Get all your books and materials together on the weekend. That works well for me! Good luck!

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Tami wrote:
Call your consultant.

That is probably the best suggestion of all. Forget what I said and do this.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Bookswithtea wrote:
Tami wrote:
Call your consultant.

That is probably the best suggestion of all. Forget what I said and do this.

I was just coming back to say the same thing. I hope she has some great ideas for you!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version