Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Community activities for teens? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 03 2005 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote Willa

I think Leonie opened a thread similar to this one a while back.

I am wondering what your teenagers do outside the home -- things like volunteer work, service, youth group activities, part time jobs or apprenticeships, clubs, college courses, 4H -- anything like that to get out in the "real world" in some way and be part of the bigger community?

I'm brainstorming with my teenagers for ideas for this sort of thing and so that's why I'm interested!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2005 at 2:09am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

My current two teens do the gardening at church, on a volunteer basis. They do paid work two afternoons a week, as assistants at a local Kumon Education Centre - marking younger kids work, hearing them read, hearing times tables, etc.

They go to our church youth group on Friday evenings.They play in the Youth Band and sing in the Youth Choir at Mass ( first and third Sundays of the month).

They, and some other teens, recently organised the Homeschool Spring Concert - no adults organising! All volunteer work.

We have also been part of a group of several families who have begun a Homeschool Teen group, which meets fortnightly on a Thursday, during the school day.

This is in addition to our family's involvement in other hs groups and to their weekly Drama Class with a nearby Drama Academy. Oh, and they learn Tai Chi with me one night a week at a local community centre.

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2005 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

My oldest is only 12, but I'm starting to look into some ideas, too. She would love to volunteer at the local animal shelter ... I'm not sure she's old enough yet, but maybe we could start with family visits.

Other ideas for easing into these kinds of opportunities?

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2005 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Devin volunteers at the parish emergency aid office. She does data entry after office hours, from 1-3:30 on Thursdays. They LOVE her there and are so pleased that she can do the computer and filing work quickly and well. She is co-social coordinator of our hs group's teen group. They have monthly social gatherings. She will also participate in the group's service project TBA and they'll meet once a month for spiritual formation. She takes karate as well.

I'm interested in brainstorming other ideas as well. I've been thinking about finding volunteer and/or mentoring opportunities that would include her love and talent for writing.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2005 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Our 14 yo contacted the church about elderly needing yard work and she and my mom are doing some yard work/ visiting with some of these folks on a volunteer basis.

Music at nursing homes, educational TV, arts fairs, etc. and in the parish on a volunteer basis (the oldest has a few paid music jobs as well).

Meals for new moms in the homeschool group or others in the parish/homeschooling group that have a particular need.

Assisting with children (showing how to make rosaries, etc. and Vacation Bible School)

orchestra, band, chorus (community, church and homeschooling options)

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version