Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Bed wetting Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 25 2008 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

I need some advice. My eight year old ds is a very heavy sleeper and is still wetting his bed at night. He empties his bladder before going to bed, wears a pullup to bed and I wake him up around midnight to go to the bathroom. He still wakes up soaking wet and most times has wet his pjs and the mat I put on the bed at night. Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I can help him. I don't make a big deal about it but, it bothers him a lot. Any suggestions?

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2008 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

No, but much sympathy. I have a 10 year old boy. The physicians we have had in 2 different states have not been concerned. They mentioned medications to help and alarms, but didn't think they were much help. We haven't done either of these but are considering an alarm--there is another thread here somewhere with info.
He has noticed recently he is closer to dry than ever before. Everyone seems to think they just need to grow out of it. And we are still waiting.....
I'll be back looking for suggestions myself. You guys are not alone.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2008 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

I know they are a little expensive, but my sister had a bedwetter who was a very heavey sleeper as well and invested in one of those bedwetting alarms which will wake him if there is any wetness. It also woke my sister so she could get to him quickly and get him to the potty fast. She had great success with it.

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2008 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

I had the same problem myself until sometime during 2nd grade. Of course, I don't think they made pull-ups or overnights back then. I shared a double bed with my sister, so you can imagine how she felt! I eventually grew out of it as well. My ds's friend is 9 and is still dealing with it. I really believe it's something they grow out of. I recently read an article about the success of chiropractic adjustments for this problem. Maybe it's something you could check out.

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 25 2008 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

There was a recent discussion here that discussed this problem of Primary Enuresis (I confess I had no idea of the name before that thread). But I thought some of the resources were helpful. My son has this problem, but he's still young, so I'm not stressing about it yet.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2008 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

We had this problem with three children and we tried many different thing excluding drugs. When the oldest was 12 and still wetting, we finally followed our Dr's advice and bought the Sleep Dry. We had tried another alarm when she was older that didn't work as well. Within a few days she was dry through the night. I then used it with the 8 year old and the 4 year old. Everyone overcome the bed wetting and years later they are still dry. Two of them still get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.

I so wish I had just used this from the beginning. There are other alarms out there, but the starchild seems to consistently get good reviews and it was even recommended to my sister in law by her homeopath. Give them a call. They'll ask you about your child and even give some counseling on how to use it with your particular child. They were very helpful in advising me how to handle the situation with my pre-teen daughter and even predicted some issues she would have related to the beeper because she was older. You can call to ask them questions at any time too.

Sleep Dry
StarChild/Labs
Medical Products for Children
P.O. Box 404
Aptos, CA 95001-0404
1-800-346-7283
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2008 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Maria,

Call me. I have the bell and pad alarm that I used with two of my children with a lot of sucess.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2008 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

My ds6 has started having this problem since March. I thought it was stress, but am now being told it could be a signal to other problems. It doesn't happen at our home, just the other parent's.

I can remember my brother having an alarm that woke all of us up every night for a solid week. That was when he was 8, I believe. His wife says he doesn't have problems now.

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2008 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

This is what we did. My son now has an occasional dry night (he is 7) and has even been dry for several days in a row, at times.
First: Put a cheap shower curtain on your son's bed. It will need to be sprayed with vinegar and wiped occasionally to prevent the vinyl from smelling. Placing a pad of some sort over it (like a baby's changing pad) will make it a little bit more comfortable. JoAnns sells pads by the yard.
Second: Have your son wear underwear to bed. Let him know that you know he can stay dry. Always encourage.
Third: Offer little incentives. My husband has been giving our son his little, old, plastic, civil war men.
Fourth: Have your son be responsible for taking his bedding off and making his bed.

When my son wakes up dry, he comments on how nice it is to wake up dry and not to have to change his sheets.

I wanted to purchase the alarm at the beginning of this pregnancy, but I did not feel that we could afford it. If you can afford it, it might be the easier and faster way to go.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2008 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

There are also some food triggers, such as dairy. We just ordered an alarm but haven't started using it. I will ket you know how it goes.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2008 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Here's a hint from a school teacher - some children need to empty twice. Our son has begun to go before prayers and then again after prayers. Connected with that is schedule. If we're getting to bed too late, then he will fall asleep during prayers and never go a second time. Late nights always equal soiled sheets.

Some boys tend to not want to interrupt their playtime and then the bladder never fully empties. Teachers, evidently are familiar with this as they often have to wait until a class break and then rush to the bathroom.

Anyways it is worth a try. We'll let you know.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2008 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

Our family doc won't even consider bed wetting a problem until 12! I thought this was a it late, but she is a very sensible gal. So, no words of advice, only encouragement.

Blessings,
Betsie

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2008 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

mama251ders wrote:
Our family doc won't even consider bed wetting a problem until 12! I thought this was a it late, but she is a very sensible gal. So, no words of advice, only encouragement.

Blessings,
Betsie

Thanks Betsie....it does help to hear that.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2008 at 6:16am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

We have had some success when we restrict dairy products. I have no idea why, but after a few days of no dairy he stays dry. We never go very long without slipping though!    I think we all like cheese and icecream too much.
My ds was feeling badly about himself because his little brother went from a diaper to wearing pullups to bed and he's 4 years younger. My older ds was embarassed to wear the same thing that his little brother did. I felt so bad for him but the alternative was to have him wake up in the middle of the night soaking wet. We tried this for a long time thinking he would learn to wake up when he had to go to the bathroom because he hates waking up wet, especially in the middle of the night when everyone else is sleeping and the house is dark. The room smelled like urine and the laundry piles were never ending. Then I found some pull ups that actually look like shorts. My older ds feels better about not wearing the same thing as his little brother!
We've never tried an alarm system so I don't know how those work. Restricting dairy brings the most success here.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 28 2008 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

Not sure if this relates to your situation as I don't know your son, but my son has sensory processing dysfunction and probably some ADHD characteristics. During the time he was doing Interactive Metronome Therapy with his occupational therapist, the nighttime wetting ended. She said that is something that can be a benefit from that therapy. I had tried a lot of things and nothing else worked. He was 8 at the time.
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2008 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

We have this problem on and off with our 8year old girl and someone suggested here a year or more ago to check out apples as there is something in them that can be a strong trigger and sure enough, this was a trigger for our girl. We have apples in the house at present and she is eating them (helping herself to them) and is wetting the bed again.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

We thought we were beyond this with our eight year-old son but he has recently had a series of accidents at night - and one in the car on the way home from a trip (he had fallen asleep).

I am actually suspecting watermelon as the current culprit - I know it is a natural diuretic - and the accidents seem to coincide with watermelon consumption during the day...

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version