Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Homeschool Conventions...Do You Go? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
DeAnn M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 20 2008 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote DeAnn M

This is my 3rd year of homeschooling. I still feel like I'm a newbie. I've been to a few conventions and I honestly don't know whether I leave inspired or overwhelmed...maybe both. I just know that I leave with a headache and a major dent in my bank account.

We have two conventions coming up in June...a Catholic one, and one State one with a more Evangelical focus--Lots of great vendors!

Do you guys go to the ones in your area?

Why do you go?

Do you try to go with a list of specifics that you want to purchase?

Do you go with friends and chalk it up as bonding time?

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks,
DeAnn

P.S. I would love to go to the Family-Centered Life one but the date happens to correspond with my due date.   Bummer.

P.P.S. I went to the 4 Real conference last year and I truly did walk away inspired and NOT overwhelmed. If I haven't said so already, you ladies did an excellent job with that conference. I felt like a welcomed guest in a friendly pond as opposed to a small, lost fish in a big cold ocean--(a.k.a the Big conventions)
Back to Top View DeAnn M's Profile Search for other posts by DeAnn M

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 20 2008 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote Tina

I have never been to a big convention. It just never seems to time right. I've heard they can be very overwhelming. I've been to some small local ones. I go with a list of what I want to purchase, but I keep an open mind about an extra purchase or two (with a dollar amount limit). I do not do well with pressured decisions. Like having to decide right on the spot "should I or shouldn't I purchase this?". So I think I am best with avoiding those larger conventions.

I did attend the 4Real Learning one last summer, too, and if all conferences were like that I would never want to miss! Like you, that one left me feeling inspired and motivated.

I would suggest having a list of what you want, allowing for a few exceptions (with a dollar amount limit). I also think I would just try to get as much inspiration as possible out of the talks.

~Tina
mom of 3 girls and 1 little man
The Best of Times
Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

I've been to two conferences -- one specifically to hear sessions given by Julie from Bravewriter.com, and the other was the 4Real conference last year. I think there are two large evangelical conferences in our state. I know Seton is having a conference nearby as well.

I have so many resources and so many suggestions come across my screen regularly that I don't feel the need to go looking for more.    I also tend to get overwhelmed by large groups of people and too much noise, so I don't think the large convention experience would be a fruitful one for me.

I do however buy conference tapes annually, so I get the support and inspiration of the talks without getting overwhelmed.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I am only attending three local conferences this year.

I've heard the attendance at conferences has gone way down this year. Gas prices?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

DeAnn wrote:
I went to the 4 Real conference last year and I truly did walk away inspired and NOT overwhelmed. If I haven't said so already, you ladies did an excellent job with that conference. I felt like a welcomed guest in a friendly pond as opposed to a small, lost fish in a big cold ocean--(a.k.a the Big conventions)

Hey thanks DeAnn! It's always nice to hear positive feedback!

I'm a homeschool newbie too, but I can't go to FLC either -- family vacation -- and with the price of gas, I don't travel if I don't have to and since we have a couple of conferences here this summer...

First, I go to our homeschool group's curriculum sale and then pick the brains of all the moms there. (Poor KackyK - I don't know if her brain will recover from all my picking!!)

Second, I will go to the IHM conference, but... I probably will do mostly shopping... although there are a few more practical talks listed this year!!

Third, HEAV's schedule here in NOVA looks pretty good too with practical talks. I noticed Lakeshore, Right Start, Tobin's labs and many more will be vendors. Although the cost of the conference might be the cost of shipping for those items... but I'm still thinking about it.

And yes... I go with a list. Any NEW things that I find, I put in research mode for another year UNLESS I'm looking for anything in that area. For example, science. I'm looking for SOMETHING. Not sure what. Everything else I have covered.

I also look at vendor websites to see what they sell before going so I have an idea of what will be there ikwim. Otherwise, I might get cuaght in novelty mode and buy more than I should.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

DeAnn M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 20 2008 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote DeAnn M

Thanks Ladies,

...Still wondering.

Maryan, those are the conferences that I am considering. I've never been to HEAV but my friends say they love going if only to do some shopping with the vendors. I love Tobin's Lab. I went to a Lapbooking workshop by Tami in Culpeper last year and did some shopping in the "Lab." It was great fun.

Maybe we'll run into each other if I can muster up the courage and energy to go!
Back to Top View DeAnn M's Profile Search for other posts by DeAnn M

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

That would be fun! I've never been to HEAV either, and am trying to go for the same reasons.

I STILL have to work out babysitting for all these conferences too... and IHM is getting closer.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 20 2008 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I'm really impressed with the vendor and speaker list for IHM this year. That one is really, really close to my house and will be about all I attempt this year. It would be fun if we could all plan to meet. Lots of places for lunch within walking distance.

I tend to get VERY overwhelmed at conferences. The one exception was the conference in Denver last year. That was truly wonderful and just the right size. (I was so busy at the Real Learning conference that I'm not counting that.)

I never travel to attend conferences--when they moved NACHE to Baltimore, that was it for me. I do like to order talks on audio and then set myself up at home to have a binge-cleaning day without the kids and listen and be inspired (in the house--all by myself). I don't sit still at conferences very well, but to stay at home and be productive and get to hear the talks--that's the best of all worlds. With the cost of gas and the rising admission costs at most conferences, buying tapes or CDs is also really economical.

I tend not to buy curriculum at conferences except from a pre-written list. It's too easy to get overwhelmed and easily swayed by every seemingly good idea.If I already know I want it and can save on shipping, that's a good thing. Otherwise, I don't buy.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

I went to my first conference this year and I loved it. I went to several different workshops by the same family of speakers and came away with so much. I also had a lot of fun in the vendors area!

I think if you hit on the right speakers, it makes all the difference. I went to this conference with 2 friends, Linda and Sue (just for clarification purposes!). Linda and I went to all the same workshops together (it just ended up that way) and we loved every minute. We picked ones that really pertained to our homeschooling and a little parenting. Sue picked different workshops, all dealing with more personal and spiritual issues and hated all but one. I think it would be easy to feel uncomfortable with the heavier issues at a conference because there is little on-on-one time and the speaker has a good chance of really having a different opinion on that kind of stuff.

Anyway, HTH! Good luck!

Blessings,
Betsie

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Conferences tend to totally overwhelm me (but then I cannot handle shopping malls or department stores either!!)

I usually go to the IHM - I try to make one talk and then I have a strict list. I spend a month or so before the conference coming up with my plans for the following year - and then I make a list of things I want to look at before buying, vendors I may want to talk to and a list of things I know I am buying. I do all my researching and reviewing on the afternoon of the first day. I then go and rest and return to the conference (I live close enough) to do my buying after I have thought and prayed. I tend to buy to benefit from free shipping, things that hard to find elsewhere and Catholic materials.

In my first couple of years of homeschooling - the biggest purchasing mistakes I made were at a conference I am wondering if I envelope my budget this year and leave my cc at home so that I only spend what I have allocated.

Wow - I did not know HEAV was local this year (isn't it usually in Richmond?) - I would love to go - but I think it would not be beneficial to me at all given that I find the IHM large enough.

Last year I met JennGM for the first time at the conference. I think it would be fund to meet up with people.

I went to the 4real conference last year too - just for some of the talks - I loved it - though I did have a newborn so I am a little hazy about last August in general!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

In the past I have mainly gone to conferences to do my curric shopping, from a list, with a few impulse buys thrown in .

This year I hope to go to some conferences and hear some talks. I really need a kick in the rear and inspiration at the moment. I hope I can get some at the conferences. I plan on going to IHM to see my friends and hear a few good talks. I also am going to the NoVa Home Educator's one at Dulles in July. I'm not sure about FCL yet, I need to work out the logistics.

I've been meaning to post a "What conferences are you thinking about going to" type of thread. One of my favorite things about conferences is the oppurtunity to meet my friends there for lunch. So in that line of thought.....who wants to meet at Chipolte at IHM.......although we have to drive there.

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

I like going to conferences for the speakers (if I can't make it to the conference but can order these on audio,I will). I also like being surrounded by homeschoolers. Makes me feel more normal . But I always absolutely leave money at home. I bring a pad and a pencil, make notes of what I like, and then mull over it for a week or so after the conference-hype has settled within me. Then I can make a better decision as to what I really need, and see if I can find it used online for a much better price. It seems like every vendor at a conference has some reason why I must have their product and how I simply cannot attempt to homeschool without it. I am easily swayed, and this method of delayed gratification seems to be easier on my checkbook.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

I am looking forward to attending the IHM conference. That is usually the only one that I attend. However, now that my oldest will be a sophomore, I am wondering if the HEAV conference has more college entrance type talks that would be more beneficial...anyone have any practical knowledge there?

It would be great to put some faces with names at the conference.

Peace.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I tend to go for the speakers, too. I can't handle the vendor halls. I need the inspirational talks. I might go to a couple "how-to" talks.

I really miss the NACHE convention that used to be close to me. It is too far and too expensive now. I could always count on a beautiful talk from Elizabeth to leave me in tears! Rachel Watkins always made me laugh and lighten up a little.

I hope to make the IHM conference at least one day. It is still baseball season so Saturdays are out.

FWIW, I found no inspiration at the NoVa Conference last year.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I'm in for Chipotle at IHM. Surely someone will have a van big enough for us to carpool.

I like to only go to a few practical talks which is what I loved about the Real Learning conference. The first conference I went ONLY to hear Michele Q speak about time management, missed her and ended up in a really cool art talk. At IHM I'm only planning to hear Laura B and Fr. Vander Woude and do my main book orders which I'll have preplanned. I'm sending Bill the next day to hear other talks that interest us so neither of us is overwhelmed. After ordering books, I look around at the other neat stuff, but wait a month ot three before ordering "impulse buys".

I was hoping to go to a few conferences this summer, but Bill has to go away and babysitting is too much of a pain. I probably don't need more than one, though...

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

I'd love to get together with everyone! Count me in!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 20 2008 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

This will be my first year to officially be teaching. We're embarking on Kindergarten work. I've been going to 2 local conferences for several years for lots of reasons -- talks to be inspired, meeting people, and getting some resources. NACHE was practically in my backyard, so I always looked in there until it moved to Baltimore.

IHM is pretty close, too. I've met in person some lovely ladies here. It really helps to have some pointers by others with the curriculum there.

But this time I have certain specific goals in mind, and I'll need to have more clarity of mind and firm purpose to make sure I don't waste it. I'm completely panicking on having to make a firm decision, and knowledge of my weaknesses makes it even more intimidating!

Alas, I can only make Saturday of IHM this year, as I have a previous commitment on Friday. Waah, I'll miss seeing your baby, Rachel!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 20 2008 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Can we re-think the restaurant choice? I can't begin to imagine sitting in Chipotle

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 20 2008 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
Can we re-think the restaurant choice? I can't begin to imagine sitting in Chipotle

I'm glad you said it! You have a legit excuse. I can't make Friday, but I get queasy at Chipotle and I'm not even preggo!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I didn't make the local IHM conference in Lafayette because I had a baby shower to attend that day. I heard it was not well-attended but the talks were very good.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version