Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Tempted to send kids to high school? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 03 2008 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Don't do it!

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 03 2008 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Oof.

Thanks for the timely reminder...I needed this today...

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2008 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I posted this as a comment on the blog, but figured I could add it here too. I went to Catholic High School for 9th grade (after having been in Catholic School since "nursery school" as it was called then....I switched to Public School in 10th. Anyway, at the Catholic high school, there was some behavior that was quite bad - in fact worse - than what I witnessed in public high school. I think it has to do with trying to "prove" that you aren't a "goody-goody" or a "prude" since you are attending Catholic School. This was back in the 1980's.

Sad .

Just my experience, YMMV,

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 03 2008 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

You're sure right about that.I never went to a Catholic HS,but I did hear some pretty BAD things about the students and,unfortunately,the teachers.Some of it was ever reported by the local media How sad.
Back to Top View Nina's Profile Search for other posts by Nina

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2008 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

I remember when our local Catholic high school first opened. All of the bad seeds from my school were the first to be enrolled! I went to a very worldly school, and the Catholic school was no better.

At least in public school you know what you're up against, and it's not a false sense of security.

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2008 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

A friend of mine in Virginia who sends her kids to public school told me a story which shocked me about two boys caught in the boys bathroom um ... shall we say ... doing something very indiscreet?

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2008 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I think it's wise to not assume anything -- but MaryM and I know of a very nice, diocesan high school that has small problems but NOTHING like the public schools ... (oh, and my dh teaches there too)

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2008 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

There are good schools out there though.

My eldest is at a Benedictine boys academy. It is doctrinally sound, the boys lead a very disciplined day. They have weekly confession, wekkly adoration, and daily Mass.

The school doesn't bury their heads in the sand. They realize that drugs and drinking can be problems, so they monitor things carefully.

Yes there are Catholic high schools as bad, if not worse, then their public counterparts. I went to such a school, and we have 2 near us. But don't assume all schools are trouble.

LeeAnn

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 04 2008 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

Molly Smith wrote:
I remember when our local Catholic high school first opened. All of the bad seeds from my school were the first to be enrolled! I went to a very worldly school, and the Catholic school was no better.

At least in public school you know what you're up against, and it's not a false sense of security.

Whooo boy, I can vouch for that!! Part of the reason why I left and went to Seton, aside from the staff not being "catholic". Although, almost every good school has its bad apples. The families involved in making changes and standing up for what is right makes the biggest difference in the environment.
Back to Top View KristinaP's Profile Search for other posts by KristinaP

dizzylaurel
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 04 2008 at 10:36pm | IP Logged Quote dizzylaurel

For our family, it's not even about whether the school is good or bad....because there will always be good and bad schools out there, Catholic or not.

For us, it's a lifestyle choice. I truly believe that God calls us to homeschool, and be the primary educators. I have a freshman this year, and while I myself so often doubt whether I'll get through Algebra I again -- never mind be sure that she's getting it! -- I know that God is sufficient. For every doubt I have, His grace will give me what I need. He doesn't call us to something and then leave us unequipped to do the job. Granted, He often calls us to places we'd rather not go (like any HS math or science for me!), but as long as I'm willing to do MY part, He comes through.

Hard as the subject matter is at times, and harder still the typical teen "I don't wanna do it" attitudes at times, the communication is still amazing between us. I teach other homeschool teens as well, and I LOVE the high schoolers!! God bless every parent that says "yes" to going all the way through!!

Plodding Toward Holiness
Back to Top View dizzylaurel's Profile Search for other posts by dizzylaurel Visit dizzylaurel's Homepage

SimplyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 05 2008 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote SimplyMom

My oldest DD is in a Catholic High School here, it is an all girls school. There are some issues now and then, most commonly the liberal slant of the teachers and some fellow students, there are also some very postivie things about her school. At times I would like to pull her and homeschool her, but this wouldn't be possible, my ex wouldn't agree to it. So I found the best situation and she is doing well.

The things that make the biggest difference are her friends and the relationship she has with us. She has some really great friends and is very close to her family.

-D
Back to Top View SimplyMom's Profile Search for other posts by SimplyMom Visit SimplyMom's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version