Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Home Library Software Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
litabitm
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote litabitm

I was in awe when I saw the pictures of Elizabeth's library closet! What a wonderful idea! I love books, but have trouble keeping track of them as they are all over my house - literally in every bathroom, bedroom, dining room, kitchen, family room, etc.

I wanted a way to keep track of what I had, what I wanted to buy, what I loaned out, and be able to assign each book a category. i.e. FIAR, unit study, a book from Elizabeth's lists, Catholic Mosaic, A Picture Perfect Childhood, WTM, MODG, Sonlight, etc. I found this software and downloaded a free trial (100 books). It's very easy to use. You can either type in the ISBN number or in the case of older books, then title or author. The program searches amazon and uploads the information to your list. There is the option to buy an inexpensive scanner (about $20) to scan the numbers and then go to the computer to download them.

I've entered about 25 books so far and you can sort them in many different ways. There are also fields to make categories. I hope I can add the categories above! It would be really nice to know if I had a certain book and what I had used it for. I am a notorious list maker and I think this will make me really happy.

The company has very active forums and the customer support looks very good. It is compatible with Windows Vista and also Mac. If you enter your email address when downloading the free trial, they will send you a 10% off coupon for the full version which is $40.

I think this will take some work to get it set up, but since I am trying to consolidate my books to one general area, it might just be worth it.

Has anyone used this or something similar?

Here's the link: http://www.collectorz.com/book/ They also have programs for cds and dvds.

Happy Reading,

Liz

Back to Top View litabitm's Profile Search for other posts by litabitm

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 12:56am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

We use Delicious Library. It's only Mac compatible (and they have no plans to expand), but it's fabulous! It also uses ISBN or barcode scanning (if your mac has a built-in camera you can use that to scan!) or you can enter the data yourself if it lacks those. It gets the info from Amazon and there's room for you to add your own notes. It includes a location field. The only problem I find is that because it uses the Genre from Amazon, they often require editing! (Sir Nigel, by Arthur Conan Doyle is not a contemporary novel—just for example!)

It also allows you to lend books to people (it connects with Address book, so they are linked with their contact details).

It works for books, movies, music and games (only electronic).

It's also $40.

As I'm entering books (it's taking me a while because I have a lot that don't have barcodes, or were printed in Australia so are not in Amazon:-( ) I'm trying to make sure that I list keywords that will be useful in years to come:-)

You can sort the items by a whole list of things (creator, location, title, genre, series, date entered... lots more!)

All up, I love this programme a lot:-) And it's very easy to use! It took me about an hour to scan (with a wireless scanner we borrowed for a while) and enter all our books (that had barcodes). And it takes about a minute to add each new book that comes in—which makes it much easier to maintain:-) They've also got some funky things like voice searching, although I haven't tried that:-)

If you're a Mac user, I highly recommend this one!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version