Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Biggest Homeschooling Challenge? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Isa in Michigan
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Isa in Michigan

I'm interested in finding out what you consider to be your biggest homeschooling challenge. This could be having to do with academics or something different.

For example, I consider my biggest homeschooling challenge to be spending enough time with my younger children where I sufficiently meet their needs, while at the same time effectively homeschooling my school-aged children. This is my first year where I've done most of the homeschooling in the morning, instead of during nap times. Because of this, I've had to figure out ways to keep my younger children happily occupied.
Back to Top View Isa in Michigan's Profile Search for other posts by Isa in Michigan Visit Isa in Michigan's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Biggest challenge? Putting together the graduating senior's graduation portfolio...hands-down.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

letting go of fears that it is not working!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Keeping the toddler and pre-schooler happy and productively occupied while schooling the olders.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

I have one 13yod at home now.
Biggest challenge with her is accecpting that she prefers textbooks, with extra reading thrown in.
Our nature experiences are not walks, birding and journaling but barn work and hanging out in our barn and the horse barn.
Rather than long stretches of reading different sources and creating projects to go with them and attending event and experiences to tie it all together, she prefers to have her assignments laid out. Even if it is supplemental reading, she wants it to be a timed assignment so she knows when she is done.

When I had the 3 girls home one challenge was feeling finished for the day. I am not a late afternoon person so I had to have my "teaching time" done by late afternoon so I could concentrate on dinner and home activites. Having perky afternoon teens made getting my break difficult.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

My biggest challenge is myself! The combination of my idealism, disorganization and lack of self-discipline keeps me from diving in and sticking with a plan. We have a lot of starts and stops throughout the year. My kids are pretty compliant and eager to learn. It's all me! Part of me is still waiting for that perfect year, no pregnancy or new baby, no moving, etc. I also struggle with my natural inclination, and that of my kids, toward unschooling conflicting with my need to be "sure" that the right things are being covered.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Veronica's Veil
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Veronica's Veil

Trying to keep up with the housework, meals, errands, budgets, etc....WHILE HSing...the balance. Very difficult for me.
Back to Top View Veronica's Veil's Profile Search for other posts by Veronica's Veil

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Housework. Letting go of my idea of a perfectly clean Montessori-style house. Accepting that this is REAL LIFE and that this vocation of home education and life with young children is MESSY and doesn't necessarily stay ORGANIZED or LABELED . Struggling with this, big time.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote joann10

For me, it is trying to organize, not only schoolwork for the younger children, but activities for the two babies, and the assorted "stuff" of six teenagers.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

EmilyC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote EmilyC

teachingmyown wrote:
My biggest challenge is myself! The combination of my idealism, disorganization and lack of self-discipline keeps me from diving in and sticking with a plan. We have a lot of starts and stops throughout the year. My kids are pretty compliant and eager to learn. It's all me! Part of me is still waiting for that perfect year, no pregnancy or new baby, no moving, etc. I also struggle with my natural inclination, and that of my kids, toward unschooling conflicting with my need to be "sure" that the right things are being covered.

I could have written that! I definitely agree that my biggest challenge is myself.

Sarah (13) Robbie & Riley (10) Regina (nearly 3)
My secular lit-based curriculum:
Build Your Library curriculum
Back to Top View EmilyC's Profile Search for other posts by EmilyC Visit EmilyC's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Dealing with a high needs baby and spirited 2yo. My 10yo is not far behind on the neediness/argumentative scale. There is very little we are accomplishing between arguments, tantrums, crying, and the run-of-the-mill diaper changes x2.

Not losing my mind/temper when someone has been crying/tantrumming/in my face/arguing all day. This peace loving introvert is not dealing well! So I tend to just "let them go" when they are happily occupied somewhere, but then nothing, again, gets done.

And fear that I'm going to somehow "get in trouble" because my 10yo with undocumented learning disabilities isn't picking things up like her younger siblings.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

For me the biggest challenge is balance in all areas of life. Cleaning the house, cooking meals, time with my husband, school, quiet time with the Lord, church...it can be overwhelming and just can NOT all be done. But I still can't accept that I can't get it all done.

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Keeping the house tidy. Keeping 11yo ds on task.

And Cay is correct. That transcript/portfolio was a chore!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Housework always gets away from me. Dust, dog hair, mail(I wish I had a lock for the mialbox so I could open it when I was ready to go through it so it does not end up alll over the place), and all the stuff of life ...!

In my case, I do not think it is the homeschooling, just my ability to find more interesting things to do.
When it comes to housework I am very distractable.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

What Emily and Molly said.

And yes, right now, what Cay and Macbeth said as well. [sigh]

We have the housekeeping woes as well, but I don't see it as my "biggest challenge". It comes and goes :)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I think every year the biggest challenge has been different. I've had learning to put school first, being flexible about how long a school year will take, and learning to unschool and trust during morning sickness among others. I keep trying to figure out this year's lesson. Maybe it will come in May like a final exam?

nutmeg
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote nutmeg

My biggest challenge is letting go of the traditional school setting, while not feeling overwhelmed with trying to incorporate ALL of the real learning stuff.

I have to admit, there are times I just put my hands over my ears (eyes) and refuse to see all the awesome things everyone is doing.   

I'll get there, but it's been really tough lately.

Noah-8
Gemma-7
Beth-5
Mae-3
And 2 in Heaven

Life in a Nutshell
Back to Top View nutmeg's Profile Search for other posts by nutmeg Visit nutmeg's Homepage

JoBeth in OH
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote JoBeth in OH

nutmeg wrote:
I have to admit, there are times I just put my hands over my ears (eyes) and refuse to see all the awesome things everyone is doing.   
I'm just about there. There are so many great ideas, curricula, books and methods and out there. I can't do them all. I really want to, I just can't.

And I could have written Molly's post. My idealism, disorganization and lack of self-discipline are at war with each other. I also have oldest-child perfectionism always willing to charge into the fray!
Back to Top View JoBeth in OH's Profile Search for other posts by JoBeth in OH

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Ditto what Molly and Emily said

I don't think I can add to it...

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

amyable wrote:

Not losing my mind/temper when someone has been crying/tantrumming/in my face/arguing all day. This peace loving introvert is not dealing well! So I tend to just "let them go" when they are happily occupied somewhere, but then nothing, again, gets done.

I so know the "let them go" thing! But I would question you if "nothing" is really getting done? Maybe it is the unschooler in me, but I do see the value of my kids playing dress-up together for hours, or some coloring while others build Kapla. Yes, even watching Barbie Swan Lake, again, has its merit! It certainly has the added benefit of peace for me, much needed!

I think if you and I, and the other introvert moms, are going to survive, we need that peace and we need to see the value of that time for our kids, too, whether it is a few hours or even a few days of "nothing".

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version