Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: What are you giving up for Lent? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Every year our family simplifies food as a Lenten penance for all of us. This year that will mean soup every night except our Saturday Lord's Day Dinner. I'm cooking all the soup in one week at the start of Lent and pulling it out of the freezer each night to simplify. Most breakfasts will be oatmeal unless I end up pregnant in which case I'll add eggs back in. Desserts are out except for feast days.

I also try to give up something and add something personally. We already pray Morning and Evening Prayer from the Divine Office as a family. I'm thinking of adding the other offices but I haven't decided how high to shoot--no sense in setting myself up for discouragement, but I do want to challenge myself a bit. I'm thinking about giving up this forum and blogs (both reading and posting). Dh is concerned that I would be checking out of an important tool for encouragement and motivation in my vocation, so I'm not entirely decided. Is the forum open during Lent? Do other bloggers take Lent off?

What are some others of you thinking?

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

We usually add the Divine Mercy Chaplet to our family night prayers. Husband and I haven't yet decided what we will be giving up. I am curious to know what others ask their children to do since it isn't mandatory for them.

Oh, last year I met a woman who gave up her dishwasher for Lent. That was one I had never heard before!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

We hold the traditional Lenten fast in our home--fasting on all days of Lent but Sundays. I do have my two collations to keep my strength up throughout the day, and then we have our one smallish meal at dinnertime. I try to simplify our dinners during Lent as well. Susan, we do a very similiar thing to your "Saturday Lord's Day Dinner"--I usually make a nice meal on Saturdays and then eat leftovers on Sundays, so the latter can be more of a true "day of rest." I will continue to do this during Lent, but our portions on Saturday will, of course, be smaller.

I am also going to try to add Morning Prayer in this year, which I used to do consistently but gave up some time ago.

Well, now that all that is in writing, I guess I'm committed!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

My dishwasher gave up for Lent of its own accord. The washer and dryer are thinking about following suit, so I'm trying to find alternative penances for them

My oldest is only three. Has anyone had success with penances at this age? I know he doesn't need any, but he has a good understanding of things and I want to introduce him to the idea.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

My children sometimes give up things as a group. They frequently give up Harry Potter and bacon for Lent. My youngest is 7 now so he had to do with out bacon when he was younger. It is silly and small but they really like bacon.
This year they are giving up their dad so I'm not sure how much more I will push on them to give up.
We have been very neglectful of our morning Rosary so we will add that in and some extra prayers at night. I have also thought about suggesting the older two to read some the Mary Windeatt (sp) books.

I'm still working on what I am going to give up.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I'm very wimpy when it comes to sacrifice -- I tend to be indulgent... maybe like... I have an ice cream sundae every night when the kids go to bed.

So, in addition to a private sacrifice, my visible sacrifice for my kids to see was whipped cream. I had to pick something that I could do for example sake... and I wasn't sure I could give up my nightly sundae... again..

As it turns out, I'm an all or nothing girl. If I couldn't have whipped cream... I didn't want ice cream at all.   

I'm just two weeks postpartum today... so I'm still debating over what I will give up! But it's getting close Susan, so thanks for the reminder.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

Last year my dd gave up all drinks but milk and water (like orange juice, occasional sprite, etc.). Ds gave up peanut butter. This was his idea and it was HUGE! He possess incredible self control for a boy his age, I think! I have given up coffee or caffeine in the past. Now that I'm not drinking coffee anyway, maybe I should give up the Tazo Chai Latte I've begun to be obsessed with. I also have other habits I want to work harder at giving up or minimizing, anyway!

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

SusanJ wrote:
My dishwasher gave up for Lent of its own accord. The washer and dryer are thinking about following suit, so I'm trying to find alternative penances for them

That is hysterical!!!

I'm giving up complaining this year. And boy, is that going to be a big one. I have a feeling my dh will reap the most benefits from it . As for the kids (2,4, and 6), they'll give up TV (I don't really watch TV, so giving it up wouldn't really be much of a sacrifice for me- although having the kids give up TV may be a bigger sacrifice for me than for them )
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

EmilyC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 26 2008 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote EmilyC

I like the idea of giving up complaining! That is something I should consider.

I have no idea what I'm going to give up--I tend to be very wimpy about Lent, so my goal is to choose something I can actually stick to, and then make it all the way to Easter. I really like the no complaining idea though...

Probably due to my not being able to stick to anything, dd hasn't either. Last year she tried giving up her Berenstain Bears books for a while (her comfort books) and she gave up root beer for a few weeks too, but didn't make it all the way through. I didn't even have my twins give up anything last year since they were only 4, but we may try something this year.

I have a family devotional we'll use each morning, and I'll probably do the salt dough crown of thorns again, since the kids all really liked that last year.    And I was thinking of having the kids color in pictures of the Stations of the Cross and then hang them up the stairs so we could do Stations of the Cross once a week.

Sarah (13) Robbie & Riley (10) Regina (nearly 3)
My secular lit-based curriculum:
Build Your Library curriculum
Back to Top View EmilyC's Profile Search for other posts by EmilyC Visit EmilyC's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2008 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

dd5 has chosen to give up Webkinz.

ds9 is giving up his Nintendo DS (that he just purchased with his own money!)

dd18 has not decided yet.

We always give up, as a family, TV except for religious shows (like the CCC videos), and usually meat.

I looked at what would really be the most meaningful, and hardest thing for me to give up. I keep coming back to the internet, and I keep trying to think of something else.   But if I am truly honest with myself, that would be the most "sacrificial" thing for me, personally, to do. I spent a lot (TOO MUCH) time on here - and more so with DH gone.

I'd like to give up the computer entirely (it would be easier!! and less tempting to not use it at all!!) but so much "regular" communication goes on through email now.

Unless I can think of something else
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2008 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I'm with you, Laura. I can't give up the computer entirely because I need it to run the household. But I'm worried about fighting temptation with the forum and blogs and stuff if I'm on for e-mail and grocery orders. I haven't come up with a different sacrifice, though . . .

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Here's a question - if one is already giving up something (or many things, like, oh, five major food groups ) for a non-Lenten reason, must one do more just because it's Lent?

I think I'm past my sacrificial limit.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 26 2008 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

amyable wrote:
Here's a question - if one is already giving up something (or many things, like, oh, five major food groups ) for a non-Lenten reason, must one do more just because it's Lent?

Me too, Amy! I can't give up sugar or chocolate because I've cleaned up my eating so much in the past couple of months. A luxury these days is peanut butter or hummus!!    I think it's more the spirit of your heart that matters in what you decide sacrifice. My lenten "fast" (besides meat) will probably not be food related because that just wouldn't feel sacrificial enough to me at this point. Does that make sense? Unfortunately, I too keep coming back to the computer as my sacrifice!!

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

amyable wrote:

While I was pg, I ate...well, nothing. So, there was nothing food related I could give up, not really.

So then I would try to add something - like a special prayer, or like someone said, "no complaining" or something like that.

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2008 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Amy,

The Church's only requirement for Lent is fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday if your health permits and abstaining from meat on the Fridays of Lent if your health permits and if you are of the age to participate. (I forget what they are.)

Anyway... yes, you are already making huge sacrifices that more than count for any voluntary Lenten penances that you would want to undertake. You are not required to do any more!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 26 2008 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I haven't yet decided what I'm giving up, but Sarah's sacrifice reminds us all that it doesn't need to be something physical. The idea of giving up an unproductive or uncharitable attitude or habit sounds like something I should seriously consider. Now which one of the many should go away this Lent ...

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

DeAnn M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote DeAnn M

So many vices...so little time. I always have a hard time narrowing down my options.

A little something to think about for those considering giving up complaining. I did this last year. Maybe this says a lot about by character, but it was very hard and I became very discouraged. I don't think we realize how many complaints just slip out of our mouths. I felt like a complete failure. I sort of changed it to doing a small penance whenever I complained. My ultimate goal was NOT to complain, but if I slipped, I did some sort of small mortification and let that be that. This was a much better way for me to handle this throughout Lent. That was by far one of the most beneficial sacrifices for me.

For those who have changed eating habits and feel that is sacrifice enough, you are right. That is a tremendous sacrifice. During Lent I would also encourage you to, "do" something--increase prayer time, more adoration, daily mass, Scripture reading, etc...something that could really become a great habit to build.

I just have to keep in mind to not have a sour sort of attitude toward whatever I give up or decide to do...I have a great book that is unfortunately out of print entitled, "Choosing Joy for Lent," that really changed my whole perspective on the season.

That's my two cents! I'm still praying about what I am giving up. My boys, 7 and 9, are determined to give up TV--we sort of go through cycles regarding how much we watch so this is a big deal for them. I'm proud of them for thinking of this and sticking with the idea...so far.

God Bless!
DeAnn
Back to Top View DeAnn M's Profile Search for other posts by DeAnn M

mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

Is it really time for that again? We are all excited about our big Mardi Gras party at Church this Saturday night (the kids all dress in costume and we have a parade and entertainment and dancing and a great roast beef dinner cooked by a parish family) and I always forget that it means Ash Wednesday is literally around the corner. I must block it out (Ash Wed. service for our family is always bad, for some reason my kids feel the need to show off every behavior they ought to give up for Lent!)! I have really been thinking about this for several weeks now and am having a hard time coming up with anything. Last year, I added things instead of giving up things. I made a commitment to get to Curves no less than 3 days per week because my goal for Lent was to really take care of the body God gave me since I have been abusing it with food for a very long time now. This worked really well and I used the drive time for prayer which was a huge bonus! Well, I don't go to Curves anymore, so I am trying to think of how to do something similar this year without that. I have it on my "to-do" list to have a serious talk with the kids about this this week. They keep coming up with silly things like giving up books and giving up school. I will be interested to read more about what families come up with, maybe it will inspire me!

Blessings,
Betsie

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

DeAnn M wrote:
I just have to keep in mind to not have a sour sort of attitude toward whatever I give up or decide to do...I have a great book that is unfortunately out of print entitled, "Choosing Joy for Lent," that really changed my whole perspective on the season.

Choosing Joy for Lent. I just love that. I think I may need to post that somewhere in my house where I can see it everyday....
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have several plans. I need to something physical, like giving up sweets, but there are also things we'll add, like extra prayers. I need to work on some self-discipline, like prying myself out of bed in the morning.

I also find that God sends a special cross around Lent for me. This year one aspect seems to be dealing with the isolation that comes with having a new baby and also loss or misunderstandings in various friendships.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version