Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: What are you giving up for Lent? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

Ah. Jenn! Isn't it amazing to know that God gives us just what we need to grow? I too have noticed that he gives crosses to me at the times I need them. I think knowing how to embrace that cross is the most difficult for me. (crosses are prickly didn't you know?)

I too want to get up earlier in the morning! It's easier for me to say hello to Jesus when it's silent around the house. I guess I need to go to be earlier at night? Then I can be awakened several times and still have just enough sleep! :)
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

I love this topic...esp giving up the dishwasher... wow! Talk about a daily penance... I have a dear friend who gave up the radio/music in the car.

I was trying to give examples to the children about why we give something up. If it's easy to give up, it's not going to hurt. If it is hard to give up, then that's just the thing to give up. ( make sense?)

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

I have a dog-eared list of "Give-ups for Lent" that I got years ago, probably in the Church bulletin. There is no author listed, but I'll reprint it here as it gives me so much to think about in Lent:

List of Give-ups for Lent

Give up complaining; focus on gratitude
Give up pessimism; become an optimist
Give up harsh judgements; think kindly thoughts
Give up worry; trust Divine Providence
Give up discouragement; be full of hope
Give up bitterness; turn to forgiveness
Give up hatred; return good for evil
Give up anger; be more patient
Give up gloom; enjoy the beauty around you
Give up jealousy; pray for trust
Give up gossiping; control your tongue
Give up sin; turn to virtue

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 06 2008 at 12:36am | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

*bump*

Wow, Mary, I'm glad I finally came back here and read this thread. That list of give-ups put my lenten desires into words.

Would anyone think that promising to get up early to exercise, (or even just making a point of exercising) be considered a penance or sacrifice? I know I need to exercise, I love my food, but my body could stand some firming up. However, 'vanity' hasn't been enough of a motivational factor for me in the past years. Could Lent supply that factor needed? I do believe some side effects of exercise are better health and a sharper mind. Those would be great added benefits for Lent, would they not?

We are also giving up sweets and desserts. I just read about a pretzel to be given at the main meal each day, so I'll do that too. I just made some "bead counters", probably similar to St. Terese's sacrifice beads, with ribbon, beads, a silk rose and miraculous medal. Every time they (and I) accomplish something we are supposed to, (for example, for them: getting washed, dressed, etc. w/o being told; doing schoolwork w/o complaining; being kind at all times; having a pleasant attitude, etc. they(I) get a bead. However, if they commit their bad action that they're trying to get rid of, they lose a bead. The amount will be tallied up each night/week; and rewards will be given. Perhaps gummy bears on Sunday (duriing Lent); or perhaps a money reward; somehow I plan to implement "holy rewards" ie.; Catholic stickers or holy cards. My goal is to practice patience and meekness.
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2008 at 1:11am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

To plan better; to be a better friend of my future self. What I mean is to do things "right now" and not put off what must be done till I feel like it or I can get someone else to do it for me. I want to help my future self by planning and doing when I should so me in the "future" has an easier time of it. Maybe this makes sense only to me at 2 am with a baby on my shoulder .. I guess, in short, I give up procrastination.

As a family we are going to respond immediately to each other and with cheerfulness. Then my dh and children all have their own things. My 17 yo son is giving up movie soundtracks for Lent, yea! One can only hear LOTR, The Patriot, and Braveheart music so many times a day. Though it does help get those dishes done!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version