Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: non toy - non china - non typical gifts? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Okay this year money is a bit tighter than usual.
And it doesn't help that I flat out refuse to buy China made items if I can at all possibly avoid it.

So. What's left? Can we share ideas here please?

Normally I'd say books, but man it doesn't pay to be literate! Good books are expensive!

I'd also be interested in what you do, or have fond memories of your family doing, outside of gifts and food to make the holidays special and create memories.

I'll offer a few silly things we do on Christmas day.

We stay in pajamas all day long. (Very decently covered of course - it's COLD here! ) Even if company comes over. We have found this guarantees everyone keeps a family at home and relaxed attitude. It's just downright difficult to sweat the little irritation that family can rub so easily or start an argument with 2 feet of daffy duck on a tshirt staring at you.

We have a dessert for breakfast. We only need a bit of something to get us to the all day meal that is usually being started while they eat breakfast. Once noon hits, we just keep wandering in and out of hte kitchen all day and night.

We go to midnight mass at midnight. This isn't what it used to be. Used to be this was a high mass with choir and plays and the works starting at 6 and ending sometime around 1 - 2 am. I miss that. Yes, it was exhausting and a lot of work. But it was also quite the celebration and even the littlest ones remembered it for years. I remember one little tot saying, "wow the whole world is happy tonight." And when we got home, santa had come!

Okay who's next?   

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Go vintage, Martha. Seriously! Find some games and books on Ebay to give. Things don't have to be brand new, but new to them. Relive some of your own childhood!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

OOOOO, Jenn, I like this idea .... I'm really trying to do NICE stuff this year ... not quantity, but quality ... retro could definitely work with my 16yod and dh! Kids are a little harder because I really want to get them good quality wooden toys and I don't know if there's any that were made "back then" (other than Barbie !)

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

I went "vintage" last year off ebay, and it was as expensive as anything! :(

You can make "kits"--for instance a mailing/banking kit for a young child (use envelopes, 1 cent stamps, a book of checks, etc). A "dress up" kit from thrift store finds in a neat basket or box. A carpentry or electricity "inventors" kit for a boy with wires, batteries, connectors, pieces of wood, a little hammer. A "personal care" kit for a teenage girl with comb, facial stuff, barettes or headbands . . . etc. It makes a difference if you make the packages LOOK neat/present well. An old family fun magazine had a lot of ideas for this once, I think you can look up old articles online.

For girls, you could make a simple dollhouse/furniture out of cardboard boxes, libraries usually have books about this. My FAVORITE book as a child was "The most wonderful dollhouse book" by Millie Hines, which has wonderful, inexpensive directions along this line, but the finished products look so nice! I plan to make some of these things for my daughter when she is 3. I picked up the book used off Amazon a few years ago for a dollar!

One of my boys' all time favorite gifts was a knights' tunic I made. Believe me, my sewing skills are MINIMAL, I only do straight lines, no buttons or zippers, LOL! This was like a big rectangle with a hole in the middle for a head. I sewed binding around the edges and neck, and used iron-on stuff to put a red dragon "emblem" on the front. A simple tie belt, and a five dollar plastic sword/shield set--(probably made in China!) I used silver metallic fabric but it was a bit hard to sew with. Years later we still have it--a bit shredded around the edges! You can make very simple CAPES from solid colored fabric off a bargain table in a similar way. My kids have one a friend made in about 15 minutes, and have used it for years.

of course all of that is "more time than money" stuff. With 8 children, maybe you do not have so much time! But you could get older ones in on working on gifts for younger ones.

And speaking of literature--I get most of my books used off Amazon, many very inexpensively. I just ordered "children of Hurin" and a LOTR audio tape set this way as presents for my older son. My kids have never complained that they are used. In fact many times you can't even tell--the tape set had never even been opened, and I picked it up for $7.

If someone wanted to be ambitious maybe they could organize a "toy swap"--one evening moms could bring good, cleaned, "complete" (nothing missing or broken) toy sets to exchange. Or just talk to friends informally. We all have too much stuff!

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Oh, I like the toy swap idea.

We have a really neat used bookstore here, well, two actually. The first one is huge, and dh & I will take a bunch of stuff there to get "new for us" books. They also trade video games, board games, computer games, cd's, DVD's, etc. One of my daughter's all time favorite video games was a used one I had found there that I just thought "looked cool." I was a little worried in the reception of giving "used" gifts. She had never heard of it, but it is what ended up inspiring her to really "get into" manga/anime, and drawing, and teaching herself Japanese. (Which is a real hoot when we watch HEROS on TV, as she will give us more direct translations of what Hiro & Ando are saying, instead of what the subtitles are saying) She said to me just the other day, "Mom, if you want to just find a cool game at Bookman's that's fine - you pick good ones!" (whew!)

The other used book store has really unique stuff - and lots of stuff by "local artists." FUN place to shop. Of course, now we have to be worried about the supplies used to make handmade items...

We usually go to a Christmas Eve Mass, but a little earlier than midnite - more like 9pm...I just can't do it. I did it once, and I was just so tired.   My dh is an assistant sound guy, so he works a lot during those two days, as we have masses in two or three places, and there are a total of 6 on Christmas eve and 4 more on Christmas Day....at least in the past...it has thinned out quite a bit over the last few years since we have gotten a new head pastor. So, he is usually setting up and running a few Masses on Christmas Eve, and then one more the next morning. The rest of us stay in PJ's (usually new ones opened the night before ) and as soon as DH gets back home he gets back into PJ's. The kids open their stockings while Dad is gone usually, just to curb the excitement a little.

My Mom usually comes over (or sleeps over the night before.)

I make one of the frozen bread & pudding mix thingys for breakfast.

We used to make a whole big dinner. Then a few years back, my mom & I decided that we hated ending up spending so much time cooking and cleaning up! So, now we do "pick & nosh" style. We usually make a couple cold salads the day before, and I will do the little meatballs or sausages in the crockpot, and have cold cuts, rolls, etc. It has been a nice change.

On Christmas Eve, we have tamales!

We usually will drive around on Christmas Night looking at Christmas Lights.

DH & I open our stockings on Christmas Night, after everyone else is in bed, and it is quiet. We usually have our "special" gifts for each other in there.

Well, this has sure gotten long, sorry!

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Martha, your question inspired me! I apologize for the bad poetry--it's the only kind of poetry I write:

ABC Alternative Christmas List

Alphabet books for the littlest kiddies
Books, all kinds, for everyone else
Candles that smell nice for teenage girls' dressers
Dolls made of china for play, not for shelves.

Everything crafty, like glitter and paint
Fabric in bright colors, too
Generous numbers of pencils and crayons
Here's some great paper and glue

Interesting items for boys of all ages
Just like Dad used to own:
Kites and planes that you make yourself
Learning and playing, in one

Magnifying glasses and magnets and more
Neat new tools in cases
Orderly kits of things to build
Puzzles bring smiles to faces

Quite a lot of things to look for
Remembering fun from the past
Soft ropes for jumping or playing doll's clothesline
Things that are timeless, that last

Under the tree, we find marbles and magic
Very cute paper dolls, toys
Wooden and homemade and simple and fun
Xylophones, hand bells for noise

Young children will marvel and run, believe me,
Zooming to see what's under the tree!

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

That poem is so cute! And full of good ideas. My mil just bought something really cute for my niece from a craft fair. It is a large doll cut out of wood with velcro on it and four different wooden outfits to stick on. I think it would be quite easy to do the same thing with foam board and have a really cute life sized paper doll for younger girls. Boys could always get a little guy with knight and monk and other boy type costumes. Also, how about a bundle of fabric scraps, wooden clothes pins from the craft store and some clothes line? Washboards are readily available in vintage shops...maybe a little hand-made apron with pockets for the pins? How abour their very own mixing bowls and wooden spools with their names painted on it? How about a few yards of fabric hemmed around the edges for play silks and dress-up capes? I'm buying plain colored thermals and tie-dying them to make fun pjs. How about framing a piece of their artwork and displaying somewhere in the house for them to see on Christmas morning? What about writing each child a poem or letter reflecting on the year with them and tucking it into their stocking to be read on Christmas day. AND...their was this awesome idea that I plan to make for my family. I don't have time to link it but Family Fun Magazine's site has a whole list of gifts kids can make. Hope this helps. Colleen

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

*used books
*thrift store (great for "real toys" like kitchen utensils, tools, etc, as well as clothes -- we have gotten tons of great "dressup box" clothes that way)
*make dolls out of old cotton tights (I did this several years running, and I am NOT a seamstress)
*sock puppets
*wooden boats, airplanes, etc, from the craft aisle at the dollar store (can be painted or not)
*pipe cleaners (seriously -- a great stocking stuffer. My 3yo has been making "jewelry" with them all week)
*wooden clothespins to make dolls with
*hatbox with some fun hats from the thrift store
*notions like buttons for a crafty older child
*tiny little cross-stitch kits from the dollar store

I could probably go on -- we've had lots of low-budget Christmases! And they have been lovely, all of them.

Have fun, and remember that your guardian angel will gladly go shopping with you!

Sally

Carmie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote Carmie

Oooh, this is one of my favorite topics! I think deeply about giving. I can't stand to give a gift just to give a gift. I want my gifts to be both meaningful and inspirational. Anyhow, I give three gifts to each kid in reference to the 3 gifts of the Magi. So, this already limits what I give. I believe this limit sets reasonable expectations in my children. First of all,   There are always books. It just isn't Christmas without new books! I avoid anything plastic and especially things that have millions of pieces! Seriously, why do toys just have too many little plastic pieces these days? Lately, I find that I forgo toys altogether. The other day I noticed that my son played with a branch from one of our evergreen trees for several days. It was his sword! I mean it was a piece of wood lying in our yard. I became even more convinced that simple more natural beautiful things attract our kids more than flashy plastic! This year, my husband and I are giving our 8 year old a Swiss Army knife and a book on whittling. He has been asking to learn how to carve for months now and I think with supervision, he will enjoy a new hobby.

My pics for a happy Christmas?

1. Books- used, new, whatever- portable inspiration

2. Art Supplies- Prismacolors, Pastels, construction paper, fancy journals, beads etc.

3. Wooden animals or museum quality animals - My older son loves collecting animals (Forest, Jungle, Arctic, dinosaurs) and I see lots of open-ended play. In fact, if I were to rid his room of all toys, I don't think he would mind as long as I left the animal and dinosaur collection!

I believe that children are overwhelmed by too much stuff in general. I actually think that they will enjoy their Christmas better if the things they do get are simple and limited.

Okay, that's my 2 cents. I don't know if I helped out since I'm new to this forum. Thanks, Carmen
Back to Top View Carmie's Profile Search for other posts by Carmie Visit Carmie's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

This may sound silly, but in my family, we always had one present that was something to wear, and it was usually very practical like a package of new socks, warm pj's, a bathrobe, or slippers.

In my (Italian) family, food is also very important. our extended family gift exchange was always limited to something edible. We'd get special treats in our stockings - trail mix, tiny boxes of raisins, honey sticks, a small jar of our favorite flavor of Knotts Berry Farm preserves, etc.

Also, as already mentioned, new art supplies were always a special treat!

My favorite family tradition was a new board game, card game, or jigsaw puzzle that we'd play or work on together.

One more idea: if someone plays an instrument, sheet music can be a fun gift!
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

One year my dh cut lengths of maple/oak from cuttings from one our trees into building blocks for our then small son. He made both ends completely flat and Ar. could build really neat towers and buildings out of them. He LOVED them. He left some pieces branched out with both branches the same length and also cut flat which made a great tunnel.

Hope that made sense, it is hard without being able to draw it.

The diameter of the pieces was from 1-4 inches. We used oak, but realised that if a child is sucking on it Maple or another hard wood would be better.

I second the 'kits' idea: I made a sewing kit one year, and it was very inexpensive.

We often have very little money for gifts at Christmas. But my mil sends money for each of the kids generously. So I usually buy them each a toy they really want (usually LEGO) and use the rest on good art supplies.

Every year I decide I am going to make gifts.... but then December hits and I am way behiind. For my brothers and their families I send homemade salsa/jam and wrap it in a new knit dishcloth. For parents we make a calender with the kids pictures. For others I often make homemade calendula salve- always a hit!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

At A Child's Dream Come True she has some great kits -- that you could do yourself much cheaper. But, you could always check her site for ideas.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

enjoythejourney
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote enjoythejourney

To echo much above, we like to give and get books! Art supplies are a wonderful thing too (but make sure they're not MIC as well). My daughter likes to get paint by number sets and beads and fun things to do art with.

Another great gift is a huge jigsaw puzzle everyone can enjoy. A family movie? A bunch of ingredients coupled with a recipe to make something yummy?

I'm all about SIMPLIFYING my life this Christmas. I don't want another pair of blue jeans or a sweater I don't like. I want to emulate the beauty of the day, and I want my children to enjoy Christmas for what it is, not for the presents. I think this whole China debacle is a good reminder for Americans to recenter the focus of the holiday on Christ, and not the gifts.

Cleo (7)
Marcy-Marie (4)
Reece (3)
http://justenjoythejourney.blogspot.com
Back to Top View enjoythejourney's Profile Search for other posts by enjoythejourney

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

We just bought a fun "non toy" gift as a birthday present for ds's buddy: a rock. No, not like that lump of coal we're always warned about! This is a polished crystal (I think its called a fluorite.) all shiny with purples and greens. It was a big hit, as ds's friend is a typical rock-hound, pack rat, collector of junk and rare treasures, 8 year old boy. Nature treasures can be real treasures for certain kids.

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

the kids are going to make each other gifts this year. a price limit for supplies etc... they are excited about that.

we are imiting our gifts this yr ($ is tight after the move). so I am listening intently to they big wish. and then we will see.

but I am with you... no things from China, esp toys....

I like the kit ideas.

Jamie, married to John
JC, Nugget, Christina & Judy
Chowder
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version