Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Just a thought... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Veronica's Veil
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Veronica's Veil

On Sunday Father's homily included a brief comment on the Church's New Year with the approach of Advent and the time for making things new, including ourselves. After Mass, I was pondering this and how it relates to our personal lives/family. And I began to wonder about how this would relate to our homeschooling adventure as well. I hope this doesn't sound crazy, if it does please just disregard. So I was wondering why does our school year begin at a very opposite time as the Liturgical Year? I mean as Homeschoolers we can organize our year/calendar as we see fit right?

Has anyone else ever thought about a very NON Traditional school Calendar? I am just wondering what would the school year would look like (and what messages could this send to my DC) if our new year began With Advent instead of Labor day?

I am thinking our "Summers" Off could really be Autumn off, since it is our favorite Season anyhow, which would enable much more time for Nature Study and Christmas shopping/plans could be mostly worked out during October/November while I am not tied to our work as much. I wonder if it would be easier for the children to follow the Liturgical Year this way, instead of a New School Year day, a New Church Year day, and a Secular New Year's Day to follow and so on.

I am just wondering, would we feel more grounded and centered on the Church & Christ and Liturgical Year? OR Would we just feel strange because we are going against the flow all the time? I don't know. Anyone ever thought about this? Anyone do this? Please, share your thoughts with me. Thank you. God bless you.
Back to Top View Veronica's Veil's Profile Search for other posts by Veronica's Veil

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I think it sounds like a lovely idea.

I am thinking that come late high school, it may not work as well, as colleges have certain deadlines, etc, that have to be met and are tailored towards a "traditional" school year. But up until that point, I don't see any reason why it couldn't work, especially if you are in a state where there are less restrictions on homeschooling.

I am going to think on this more, thank you for bringing it up (especially right now, as with the whirlwind of trying to move on short notice...we haven't really gotten into a "school groove" at all....)
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I love this idea! We tend toward a pretty typical school calendar with dh being a high school teacher and 16yod in the same high school ... but there's no reason we couldn't do this ... make a complete shift to a "new year" as Advent starts .... I really like this idea.

Let's post ideas here for how this could work in our own homes, ok?

Thanks for posting your "just a thought..." -- it's definitely got ME thinking!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

I have thought about this before, but I've never done anything about it.
I wonder if that's mainly bc we do school year round or just bec. all our friends are on the regular schedule and it would seem strange for the kids to talk as if they only started school in December!?

Interested to hear others thoughts,
ck
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

This has possiblities! I'm going to think on it a bit...

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

We do this when we are able ~ that is, not schooling year-round because of babies and/or moving. It was a huge struggle schooling during summer, because all the school children are off. However, we are finding since we moved here that local kids don't/can't play with us. The parents of these children don't allow them to play with ours for the most part because they are a different religion (maybe they fear the children would get swayed to believe in the one, true religion?).

Even the homeschoolers break for summer. Maybe we'll start a trend?

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well here in Australia Advent is at the 'end' of our school year. That doesn't fit with your 'renewing' idea but it is lovely in that I (and many of my friends) cease academic work (sometimes we may still wrap up maths) and focus on advent.

Our school year starts on the last day of January(high summer here) and we have four terms, 10 weeks each with two weeks off at the end of each term. Then at the end of the year starting a couple of weeks before Christmas we have six weeks off.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Last year, using our liturgical calendar, I discovered that there were 35 or 36 weeks of ordinary time. Since that is the number of weeks of school required I thought it would be so neat to just school during the "green times" (ordinary time) and take off Advent, Christmas, Lent and Easter. I decided that if I was going to do that though, I would have to start school right after Easter and see how far we got into the summer to see if it was even do-able. Well, we are so ingrained to take a break during the summer that trying to do school was like trying to move a mountain, even with the promise of no school for all of Advent and Christmas. I just couldn't bring myself to do it, let alone get the kids to! So here we are, back to a traditional school calendar. I still wish I could make it work though. It would really help the kids to "feel" the celebration times if they had no school. (Think of how long the celebration of Easter really is!) I think it would be great to have all of Advent and Lent for preparation for these two great celebrations - no math, no grammar, no history; just learning about the great celebrations of our church. I would still like to make it work some time, but I know it would require a huge effort through the summer.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Becky,

Thats very cool to school just during "ordinary times" ... hmmmm, I don't know about this year, but maybe I can work toward something like this ... I REALLY am liking this ...

Maybe it's more a "mind set" re: when school starts and when we take breaks ... especially with the younger grades when it's not so keyed to outside influences ...

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

We very nearly school only during ordinary times.
During other times we are either completely stopped or doing "light" schooling, usually just math and faith activities.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Veronica's Veil
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote Veronica's Veil

Wow Now there's a concept! Schooling only during Ordinary Time...that is so neat! Yes, I can see how one could then focus more deeply on the celebrations and preparations for us Moms    

We have schooled through the Summer in the past and it has been no big deal around here, although we are quite limited in our external contacts, I could see this being a problem if you have lots of School kids on your block playing outside or something...I know THEN my boys would not be able to pay attention to their learning.

My Ds's are (very soon to be) 8 & 11 so technically 2nd & 5th Grades so I hadn't thought about the College angle so Thank you for pointing that out!

I don't know I am just looking for some way to tie the Liturgical year into our lives more deeply and to help them see how We revolve around Christ and NOT the other way around...I think they have a pretty good understanding of this so far, but there is always room for improvement!

Anyway, Thank you, Ladies for sharing your beautiful thoughts with me thus far!
Back to Top View Veronica's Veil's Profile Search for other posts by Veronica's Veil

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

I love this idea, and wish we could have done this all along in our homeschooling, but unfortunately, homeschooling in NY State would make it very difficult with the 4 times per year of reporting we need to do.

Now that we're in the high school years, it's more adventagous for them to follow a schoolyear that's more typical so they graduate in June with their class in their senior year.

But I DO love Advent, and the *New Year in Faith* feeling we get! I always make a big deal of reminding them of beginning a new Cycle year with readings, etc. I wish EVERYthing revolved around the Church's New Year!

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts in this thread!

Tracy

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

These are really interesting ideas...

I think I'd have a hard time with doing school in July because we always have relatives visiting. Also knowing that the neighborhood kids are out could make it difficult. I'm trying to finish our year early this year because May is when we really, really can't wait to be outdoors.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 08 2007 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

That idea makes so much sense for my area of the country. In the summer we are literally trapped inside (because you can't spend every day all day at the pool or beach). There are hours and hours that would be perfect for schooling. In the fall, when we can finally be outside again... that would be the perfect time for a break!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

This makes a whole lot of sense, and paired with Becky's "If you had to do it all over again...." thread, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to take a late fall break to implement some of those great ideas and advice.
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version